Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 hour ago, R2ED said:

@PhantomAshi did nearly the same break down on my order, too.  About $1.25 per mini for me.  I'm totally happy with that.  My goal is to have NONE left to paint by year end.  "So he says now..."

Not too shabby, considering how frigging big some of those minis are!

That might be a bit of a pinch. :poke: Assuming you're doing the core + 1 or 2 expansions, that's a of 250 - 300 minis across 8 months, or a minimum of 30+ minis a month. That'd be pretty impressive if you do manage it! Though I'd maybe keep "a year since they arrived" or "before the next kickstarter arrives" in mind as alternatives... ::P:

My goal is to finish painting all my existing miniatures before the kickstarter arrives. Not as ambitious, but considering how slowly I'm going, I might be able to pull most of it off.

• Like 6
  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

Wow, the Pledge Manager is starting to look like a ghost town...

It’ makes me kind if sad, as it’s kind of like going in a favorite old store that going out of business, and all that’s left are some empty-shelved fixtures all pushed about, and a few odds and ends of stock nobody wants...

• Like 6
  • Sad 4
11 hours ago, PhantomAsh said:

My goal is to finish painting all my existing miniatures before the kickstarter arrives. Not as ambitious, but considering how slowly I'm going, I might be able to pull most of it off.

I think if I used that as a goal I'd be painting at least as many as I'm getting from this Kickstarter every month...if not double that...

and that would involve me actually painting, which I haven't done for months

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, ratsmitglied said:

I think if I used that as a goal I'd be painting at least as many as I'm getting from this Kickstarter every month...if not double that...

and that would involve me actually painting, which I haven't done for months

Haha, I fortunately only really got into the hobby a year or two back, so my collection at this point is still quite small. I think at the moment it's less than 50 to paint, including a swarm of goblins. So potentially possible in 3-4 months.

I hope you can pick up a brush again soon! I have been struggling with it lately, but admittedly, we ARE in strange times, and it does effect us. It'll happen when it happens.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

It’ makes me kind if sad, as it’s kind of like going in a favorite old store that going out of business, and all that’s left are some empty-shelved fixtures all pushed about, and a few odds and ends of stock nobody wants...

But it's a shop that WE bought all the availabile stock from, and just think, there will be a newer, shinier shop(Shop 6, maybe?) in the very near future and then we can strip that one bare too! ::D:

• Like 10
20 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:
11 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

But it's a shop that WE bought all the availabile stock from, and just think, there will be a newer, shinier shop(Shop 6, maybe?) in the very near future and then we can strip that one bare too! ::D:

I like the way you think! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
2 hours ago, PhantomAsh said:

Haha, I fortunately only really got into the hobby a year or two back, so my collection at this point is still quite small. I think at the moment it's less than 50 to paint, including a swarm of goblins. So potentially possible in 3-4 months.

I think I got into the hobby around the same time.  I got big into collecting minis when first introduced to D&D in 2017 and spent about a year and a half aggressively tracking down old Bones KS sets, and D&D board games.  THEN i finally got into painting near the end of 2018, and the collection has only grown.  I don't think I'll ever paint fast enough to catch up, but I like to tell myself that the plastic makes me happy either way, and painted or not I usually can find a use for them.

Looking at the ~500 minis I've got coming in from Bones 5 and comparing it to the few Bones 4 minis I actually got around to painting.  The chance for me to keep up has long since sailed!

• Like 7
33 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

I think I got into the hobby around the same time.  I got big into collecting minis when first introduced to D&D in 2017 and spent about a year and a half aggressively tracking down old Bones KS sets, and D&D board games.  THEN i finally got into painting near the end of 2018, and the collection has only grown.  I don't think I'll ever paint fast enough to catch up, but I like to tell myself that the plastic makes me happy either way, and painted or not I usually can find a use for them.

Looking at the ~500 minis I've got coming in from Bones 5 and comparing it to the few Bones 4 minis I actually got around to painting.  The chance for me to keep up has long since sailed!

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me, actually ::P: I think I got into D&D back in... 2015? Maybe 2016? 2015, actually - I don't even think Curse of Strahd was out yet. I started picking up miniatures a year or two later where I could, which, considering I lived in rural Canada at the time, was pretty difficult and DID require a fair amount of aggressive searching, and then eventually, late 2018-ish, got into painting them. I actually avoided getting into the painting for a while since I knew I would never be able to actually... finish everything, and I just wanted something to play with (I SUCK at theatre of the mind and tokens aren't much better). I eventually decided on a spray/dip method to just get them covered, then I did a test run, looked at it, kinda hated it, and decided I'll actually paint them. I think I picked up some dollar store paints like a week later and switched to actual model paints about a year after that.

There is definitely a... velocity of acquisition that is..... hard to keep up with. My FLCS bought a full run of Bones 4 and repackaged it for retail, and the amount of times I've gone in for "just comics" and came out with comics AND miniatures is.... a lot. I'm also looking at 500+ for B5 and yeah. Who the frig knows when that's ACTUALLY going to get painted. Probably by the time Bones 10 happens ;_;

The nice thing about Bones - or miniatures in general, I guess - is that they're still perfectly playable even if they're not painted. And at worse, I can always throw a wash on something if I want to use it. I think I'm definitely going to be taking a "what will I use in a game next" approach to working through B5.

(It'll heighten the anticipation among the players anyway. "What are you working on? Oh. Oh, wait- are you going to use that?")

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The problem with painting my miniatures is that I paint human figures just fine. It's the large monsters that I have problems starting and sometimes finishing. When I want to paint it is just so much easier to take human and paint it. My bones 4 human sized pledge is dwindling far more quickly than what I expected. Meanwhile I hardly started on the bigger monsters. 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, DragonWyrm said:

The problem with painting my miniatures is that I paint human figures just fine. It's the large monsters that I have problems starting and sometimes finishing. When I want to paint it is just so much easier to take human and paint it. My bones 4 human sized pledge is dwindling far more quickly than what I expected. Meanwhile I hardly started on the bigger monsters. 

and i'm the exact reverse haha

my big monsters are first painted, and the things i'm eager to paint. The humanoids, especially the smaller ones like halflings, sit in bead boxes for months waiting to be painted because doing things so tiny and trying to do faces and eyes are just...bleh

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, PhantomAsh said:

The nice thing about Bones - or miniatures in general, I guess - is that they're still perfectly playable even if they're not painted. And at worse, I can always throw a wash on something if I want to use it. I think I'm definitely going to be taking a "what will I use in a game next" approach to working through B5.

This is primarily my approach, sometimes distracted by other personal projects like wanting to paint up a thematic set.

3 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

and i'm the exact reverse haha

I feel both sides of this struggle.  If I do too many human-sized minis I get bored, but the big ones take longer to finish and wear me out.  I try to bounce back and forth between big groups of small guys, a large mini, and a heroic mini that I spend more time than usual on.

The other thing that hinders my painting is waiting on new minis so I can paint them together.  Been holding off on painting my goblins and kobolds because I know I'll be getting more of them.  Same with the werecrocodile and the snake-people from bones 4.  Though I have written down some color ideas to help add some variety to them all when I finally get around to painting them.

What are Bones good for if not spending more time imagining what you'll do with them than actually doing anything with them?

• Like 4

im like siri - i generally paint monsters.  as a DM, when we play in person monsters are more useful (and in my campaigns I DM, minis dont exist for the character types many times anyways so we just use whatever) and find them more fun to paint.  Also, many times, the larger models can be better for contests if its something i want to spend more time on...

Sanjay

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

We’re like piranhas. Strip it bare in .2375 seconds!!! 

Well, I managed to get a bit more of what I wanted. A relative sent me some money, so I went ahead and got the Greek set and the male storm giant. My total spent was just over $400, so not too bad. Not as much as I wished I could spend :lol:

Rocky Brush Holder x1
Power Up: Hippocampus Figurehead Option x1
Extra Kid Heroes x1
Extra Petey the Pizza Dungeon Mascot x1
Extra Gem Dragon x1
Extra Loot Golem x1
Extra Overgourd x1
Henchwomen x1
Valfuryx x1
Dragon Folk x1
Dragon Bust x1
Option: Aganzarax the Foul, Huge Dragon x1