Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

@buckyball i like your style, buddy!  I like doing running updates and progress. I'll definitely try my best to track and show progress (and failure) as i go.  I think i have 639 minis coming. That's not including bases, obvi.

I'll have from 3rd day after delivery to same date following year to accomplish my goal.  I say 3rd day after delivery to unpack and look at it as a whole.  Also to scare myself and fully realize the undertaking I've placed upon myself. Your post on how your tracked is cool.  I'll read it further a bit later.  

• Like 4
  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

1 hour ago, R2ED said:

@buckyball i like your style, buddy!  I like doing running updates and progress. I'll definitely try my best to track and show progress (and failure) as i go.  I think i have 639 minis coming. That's not including bases, obvi.

I'll have from 3rd day after delivery to same date following year to accomplish my goal.  I say 3rd day after delivery to unpack and look at it as a whole.  Also to scare myself and fully realize the undertaking I've placed upon myself. Your post on how your tracked is cool.  I'll read it further a bit later

I did my entire Bones 1 Kickstarter purchase as well: 266 figures, and it took a few years, doing one or two figures a week. I used blogging about each figure as an incentive to keep going, and here it is all these years later and I still try to post a weekly Bones Kickstarter figure to the blog! (Currently working in Bones 4)  

I only ever did an entire Core set with Bones 1 (once was enough!) but it is an experience I cannot recommend highly enough. Everyone should do it once. It really makes you face figures you wouldn’t otherwise try, and gives you an excuse to practice lots of different techniques. 

http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2013/06/?m=0

• Like 8
2 hours ago, R2ED said:

I'll have from 3rd day after delivery to same date following year to accomplish my goal.  I say 3rd day after delivery to unpack and look at it as a whole.  Also to scare myself and fully realize the undertaking I've placed upon myself. Your post on how your tracked is cool.  I'll read it further a bit later.  

This is very ambitious. Much more ambitious than a Vamprie box. But with the covid lockdown it might be more doable.

I look forward  to following your progress

buckyball

• Like 6
2 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

I'm guessing next time we won't have any flexibility in the end date.. the end date will be the end date

"Can't please everyone."  

That's the title of this post ,which obviously I didn't want to start a new chain.  I think a few things need to be touched on as clearly this date has been a hot button.  There's also 3 different perspectives I keep seeing come up that also need to be adressed.

1. Production

2. Expectation

3. Customer Satisfaction

Let me begin with #2.  Expectation

It's fair to say that with any purchase or transaction everyone should have an expectation.  Here's the price - that's what you pay.  Here's the date - that's when it gets delivered.  It's nice to have them to keep things orderly.  There are expections to these, but generally if laid out in the beginning of the transaction, it's a lot easier to have accountability to both the Production and Customer.  There's been a little bit of frustation I've read around not posting the extensions in the right place, not letting customer's know when the dates were closing, extending past when is reasonable, and so on.  All reasonable complaints, but keep in mind that Reaper is doing a great job of even keeping these things accessible and in a format we CAN talk about them.  The fact they have a forum we can express these things is great, but I also would keep in mind how many people they have satisfied versus the outliers who may be disappointed.  Disappointment happens, but you want to avoid it being a high percentage.  It's also very easy to point out areas for something to improve than it is to talk about the things that are going well.  There's also got to be some accountability to the consumer to know - check here, check your email, check KS, check reapermini.com.  Reaper has made accessibility wonderfully easy and I am thrilled to be a part of the entire process.  What's great is that WE ARE a part of the process and have seen them make a few changes along the way based on active feedback. So cool!  Being mindful of how much this team is investing into listening, adapting, and supporting this community should be applauded.  #cannons

#1 the Production

They've made the consumers aware that there's a finite resource available on both materials and capacity for their factories.  Think of it like this: they want to make as much as possible without having too much to store or that people won't eventually buy.  It's a fine, fine line to know what demand looks like a full year in advance.  They probably have to work out with the factory well ahead of the Bones KS on what they 'expect' the turnout to be.  X level of growth for each season, x number of additional pieces due to KS goals achieved, x number of material they have to forecast, and of course the money they have to front betting ahead of the KS or Production.  So many factors!  We get to invest in this project and see it come to fruition and even get a discount for doing it.  Yes, the money invested is what fuels this, but they have to guess so many things ahead of taking payment and hopefully get it right.  Once capacity has been agreed upon and the initial demand is met, it doesn't leave a lot of room for extras or stressing the factory on making more.  That's not even taking into account any problems the factory encounters with sourcing materials or complications in making them.  Not even touching on logistics and shipping.  To see frustration over timelines or quantities is really difficult to read from other consumers.  Take into account you are watching this nearly in-the-moment and Reaper is giving visibility to both progress and shortfalls.  I wish more companies had that level of transparency or response for the products they make.  

#3 Customer Satisfaction

Rage is what fuels so many things things days: movies change plots because of social media rage, companies change product names because of public outrage, and many people are hurt by one comment catching fire and being taken out of context or is disproportionate to the situation.  Not that I don't think there's definitely things that need to change or should have some scrutiny put to them, but it's the way in which we address them that matters.  Lots of people take to public forums to gather momentum and create a negativity cyclone.  I have to begin to wonder how often an individual gives valid, constructive feedback and also allows for change or improvement over time, versus not seeing immediacy and losing their mind over it.  Things.  Take. Time.  This is of course based off of good expectations (on both parties), and the desired outcome that can appease a solid majority of the customers.  If the aim is to appease the small percent of dissatisfied customers - then the real goal is lost.  Reaper seems to be doing a damn good job of looking at a healthy amount of feedback on whether it's a big problem or something that can be improved next go around.  I love seeing how there's clearly action taken and people are being positioned to handle and adapt to new things as they happen.  What we as customers have to consider is how long that could take and be grateful it's either regarded or not.  It's ultimately our choice to continue to do business and support them or not.  Just because we pay for a product and don't get exactly what we want all the time doesn't make them a bad company.  The best damage a person can do to a company is not buy from them.  Just to be clear, I'm throwing my money at them like they're garnishing my salary, so I'm not complaining.  However, I've taken my business from plety of others - especially if I gave that opporutnity to discuss improvement and over time never saw anything come of it or even worse a decline!  I'm only one voice, but over time it adds up.  Customers have a lot of power and have a lot of choice/options.  It's okay to make a bad buy or get something you're unhappy with.  It makes us better consumers to look at it further or scrutinize our purchases with more discretion.  Ultimately by buying into something - you're testing it.  If you like it, then buy more of it.  If you don't, then walk away from it.  If it can be improved, give that opportunity, but also be aware of the changes that have to take place for that to happen.  You could be asking an aircraft carrier to stop on a dime, when that's just not possible.  You could also be asking an aircraft carrier to be aware of an iceberg miles out in front of them, too.  Awareness and fairness.  

I don't intend for this to be a rant, but more a recognition for what I see Reaper doing with all the input they get and in some cases flack.  It's impressive to watch and see the outcome they come up with.  I think a lot of companies could learn and grow from how Reaper does their business.  Timelines, communication, expectation, delivery, satisfaction - all are great things in the recipe for success.  In my eyes they have a pretty good thing going and I'm STOKED for April.  

• Like 6
3 hours ago, R2ED said:

It started as a race to finish the first core set with a small number of us seeing it all the way through (6?).  I think Buckyball won.

but 639 is considerably more, and lots of it large. I still set finishing each core set as a goal, but I leave time for painting some metal or trying a diorama or cool dragon along the way. It takes me about 2-2.5 years to do each core.  I am uncertain of the future but I will start Bones V at the same pace.

I would suggest a smaller goal Like the Core set in 3 months - and see if you want to fully commit to the project .

The Forum Mods asked us to stop just putting all out minis into a massive thread here but if you make a blog somewhere ill come follow you progress. 

I do a final photoshoot rather than an in progress thread, Bones 3 core  but individual minis and small groups get threads as I go. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

I would suggest a smaller goal Like the Core set in 3 months - and see if you want to fully commit to the project .

The Forum Mods asked us to stop just putting all out minis into a massive thread here but if you make a blog somewhere ill come follow you progress. 

I do a final photoshoot rather than an in progress thread, Bones 3 core  but individual minis and small groups get threads as I go. 

I'm fully aware of my not being able to finish this.  I think it makes for two things:  conversation fodder and great support to not give up.  Both are rad. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, R2ED said:

"Can't please everyone."  

Well said.

I think reaper has done a good job communicating on this kickstarter (in terms of KS, they've actually done incredibly well.)  I know I've been critical of them in the past for poor communication channels (They went through a rough patch after Ladystorm left...), but they got their Anatidae in a single file line and have been fantastic since this kickstarter wrapped.  They've been more than generous in their extensions and making us aware of them.  They extended the close date multiple times, well past when they had to finalize their orders with the factories, trying to get people to finalize their pledges, and I think everything went very admirably.
reading the kickstarter comments  I'm actually tempted to start referring to some of those people by a  name that's become much maligned this past year...

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 5

@Cygnwulfdon't do it, dude.  That leads to the dark side.  I find celebrating the wins and ignoring the ones seeking attention is the best.  Take the high road.  If you acknowledge that things are better and getting better still, then hell yeah to that.  I wanted that post to just know we're all playing to win the same game.  Some people have a different idea of how it's played or don't do as well on a team.  The goal is make it as good as it can be and the reward is all the sweet boxes coming in April. 

Resist calling people out.  This ain't the place for that.  Facebook or Twitter all day long if you want that.  Let's hit the high notes here.  Right on! 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, R2ED said:

@Cygnwulfdon't do it, dude.  That leads to the dark side.  I find celebrating the wins and ignoring the ones seeking attention is the best.  Take the high road.  If you acknowledge that things are better and getting better still, then hell yeah to that.  I wanted that post to just know we're all playing to win the same game.  Some people have a different idea of how it's played or don't do as well on a team.  The goal is make it as good as it can be and the reward is all the sweet boxes coming in April. 

Resist calling people out.  This ain't the place for that.  Facebook or Twitter all day long if you want that.  Let's hit the high notes here.  Right on! 

:) agreed.  It's been a hard battle for me to not engage people and call them out on their BS, but it was one of my goals for last year. I like to think I'm doing better, but every so often I slide back into old habits.  Seeing people being positive about the stuff here on the forums and avoiding the facebook comment section has helped a ton.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

I'm guessing next time we won't have any flexibility in the end date.. the end date will be the end date

I, for one, am very grateful for the flexible closing dates. I was able to get a pirate ship, thanks to the extension. 

Whether I’m grateful after I get the huge thing, that’ll be another story :rolleyes: :lol:

• Like 10
27 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I, for one, am very grateful for the flexible closing dates. I was able to get a pirate ship, thanks to the extension. 

Whether I’m grateful after I get the huge thing, that’ll be another story :rolleyes: :lol:

At least Sephie will have something to ride in the bathtub. :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

With these extentions I have lured 4 more people in the kickstarter, and generated almost $500 more towards Reaper.

Seeing all these amazing models in the actual print form, and the relatively close distribution date, has pulled people over the finish lines :D

Almost everyone wanted a Yog when they saw that amazing model! I dread the paintjob though, with all the tentacles, but it's bound to be amazing.

The total of my order, which is shared with friends, is the following:

Your Selected Rewards

Power Up: Rocky Brush Holder Option x1
Power Up: Disapproving Hand Spell Effect x1
Bones 5 Core Set x3
Dragons x1
Extra Living Dead x2
Extra Gem Dragon x3
Extra Halloween x2
Extra Wraith Dreadnights x1
Extra Loot Golem x2
Dragon-Lion x1
Extra Overgourd x1
Power Up: Beastmen Option x1
Option: Valfuryx the Vile, Huge Dragon x2
Dragon Folk x1
Option: Dragon Bust x2
Fire Giant Hellbringer x2
Option: Aganzarax the Foul, Huge Dragon x3
Mouslings x1
Option: War Mammoth x3
Yokai x1
Goroloth x1
Option: Shavynra the Slayer, Huge Dragon x3
Krateryx, Shadow Dragon x2
Option: Arakoth the Ancient, Colossal Spider x1
Option: Elemental Scions x4
The Dwarf King's Crypt x1
Expansion: Dungeon Dwellers x1
Option: Ildraedis the Devourer, Huge Dragon x3
Option: Song of the Sirens x1
Demonic Temptation x1
Option: Yog-Sothoth x5
Option: Kalanzar the Wicked x4
Kaiju Choas x1
Expansion: Greek Odyssey x3
Dark Depths Expansion x1
Base Boss 1" Round RPG Bases x1
Base Boss 2" Round RPG Base x1
Base Boss 3" Round RPG Base x1
New MSP Paint Colors x1
MSP: Foerster's Favorites x1
Expansion Fan Favorites x2

Edited by Venun
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

It started as a race to finish the first core set with a small number of us seeing it all the way through (6?).  I think Buckyball won.

but 639 is considerably more, and lots of it large. I still set finishing each core set as a goal, but I leave time for painting some metal or trying a diorama or cool dragon along the way. It takes me about 2-2.5 years to do each core.  I am uncertain of the future but I will start Bones V at the same pace.

My goal was to paint through my Bones I stuff really quick. Life seems to have not wanted that to happen LOL I STILL have a few Bones I minis that I haven't painted yet! A bunch of Bones II, missed Bones III because of my daughter being born, then got a bunch of stuff in Bones IV. Still have a bunch of stuff from IV to paint still. Now I have a BUNCH of minis coming in the spring... Once i get done with my second degree that I'm working on I'll have far more time to catch up on them, but that's what I get for deciding to go back to college when I'm in my 40s LOL

3 hours ago, Venun said:

With these extentions I have lured 4 more people in the kickstarter, and generated almost $500 more towards Reaper.

Seeing all these amazing models in the actual print form, and the relatively close distribution date, has pulled people over the finish lines :D

Almost everyone wanted a Yog when they saw that amazing model! I dread the paintjob though, with all the tentacles, but it's bound to be amazing.

The total of my order, which is shared with friends, is the following:

Reveal hidden contents

Your Selected Rewards

Power Up: Rocky Brush Holder Option x1
Power Up: Disapproving Hand Spell Effect x1
Bones 5 Core Set x3
Dragons x1
Extra Living Dead x2
Extra Gem Dragon x3
Extra Halloween x2
Extra Wraith Dreadnights x1
Extra Loot Golem x2
Dragon-Lion x1
Extra Overgourd x1
Power Up: Beastmen Option x1
Option: Valfuryx the Vile, Huge Dragon x2
Dragon Folk x1
Option: Dragon Bust x2
Fire Giant Hellbringer x2
Option: Aganzarax the Foul, Huge Dragon x3
Mouslings x1
Option: War Mammoth x3
Yokai x1
Goroloth x1
Option: Shavynra the Slayer, Huge Dragon x3
Krateryx, Shadow Dragon x2
Option: Arakoth the Ancient, Colossal Spider x1
Option: Elemental Scions x4
The Dwarf King's Crypt x1
Expansion: Dungeon Dwellers x1
Option: Ildraedis the Devourer, Huge Dragon x3
Option: Song of the Sirens x1
Demonic Temptation x1
Option: Yog-Sothoth x5
Option: Kalanzar the Wicked x4
Kaiju Choas x1
Expansion: Greek Odyssey x3
Dark Depths Expansion x1
Base Boss 1" Round RPG Bases x1
Base Boss 2" Round RPG Base x1
Base Boss 3" Round RPG Base x1
New MSP Paint Colors x1
MSP: Foerster's Favorites x1
Expansion Fan Favorites x2

Yog is going to be a BLAST to paint :) You just need some inspiration when you do it. It was like Nyarlathotep from Bones IV, I didn't know what I was going to do with him until I had him mostly assembled and primed.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, bojesphob said:

Yog is going to be a BLAST to paint :) You just need some inspiration when you do it. It was like Nyarlathotep from Bones IV, I didn't know what I was going to do with him until I had him mostly assembled and primed.

Aw, sadly the images are broken on your linked post :( 

I had skipped on that one, his size was incredible, and I could not foresee a use for him within our D&D games.

Though that model is bloody amazing aswell!

• Like 3