Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

I'm feeling little excitement because I have no idea about the new goroloth, and that'll be the first thing to at least pique my interest since unveiling stuff that was mentioned but not seen. Not seeing anything even remotely close to value for my bid. If things seriously slow down I may just have to back out altogether.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

1 minute ago, lexomatic said:

I'm feeling little excitement because I have no idea about the new goroloth, and that'll be the first thing to at least pique my interest since unveiling stuff that was mentioned but not seen. Not seeing anything even remotely close to value for my bid. If things seriously slow down I may just have to back out altogether.

Please keep in mind, there's still a MONTH to go... 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

So I'm guessing a different Goroloth from Bones 2 I hope! 

AC4508CA-02F0-4B36-8F13-E9F1F2054177.jpeg

That’s the one I got at RC!  I thought it was a Dire Catfish.  :rolleyes:

I wonder if this is going to be in Bones Black in addition to being bigger, etc.  Is there any art of it out there?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

R.I.B.B.I.T neither confirms nor denies the existence of such an agent, and inquires as to which doors you've been listening at.

I'm a wild mage with access to Transmutation spells. I AM the door.

24 minutes ago, JDizzO said:

Starting to think the Lost Valley Expansion in B4 must have done very well or something.  It is just odd to me personally as I have never wanted/needed dinohumanoids and am not aware of any systems/games that are specific to these types of minis.

Forgotten Realms has saurials, and some of the upcoming figures seem to fit them nicely.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

It's my understanding that the first project was very close to break-even (not considering long tail sales from the molds, which were the point), and might have lost money. I can't speak categorically to any of the later projects, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were similarly situated. High-pressure injection molds are very expensive.

Hard to say on KS1. I believe the runaway success of the first Kickstarter also funded their first in-house injection molding machine, so it certainly went past initial production cost.

On the other hand, I believe they worked into the stretch goal schedule as a part of planning. I don’t think they just found themselves with a pile of unexpected bonus money to spend.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Crowley said:

How are dinosaur samurai any more unusable than hobgoblin or elemental or or undead or succubus samurai? 

What game systems that are built for mini's are about anthropomorphic dinosaurs, there may be a rifts or palladium setting for them but those would be very small niches. A wushu based set for LOT5R, or Kara Tur is great but what games have Dino People? broccoli an add on that those that want the dino's could spend the money for them, awesome. But who is going to use them in a game? For me they would sit in a bag in a box after being painted not used, while the other pieces would just be waiting for the players to go to Kara-Tur.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Like I said, I don't think it was any worse than it's ever been and it was civil. It was definitely me -I just couldn't take it.  There were a couple of people I really wanted to go off on, and it was better for everyone if I just checked out instead.  This morning it looks a lot better - even the same posts that were setting me off last night. 

I've found both stepping away and sleep to help when something gets me riled up too. :) 

43 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

The new one is based on a similar concept to that one, but the pose is quite different and I reinterpreted a lot of the features.  Tentacles are more true to the concept, eyes are different, it is armored like a spiny lobster, etc...  Other things are similar.  Same family, but a different species.

Oh squee! I'm excited to see it, I love that figure! ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Just curious, are there actual "bronze golems" in any version of D&D?  Off the top of my head I recall a Brass Golem, but not a Bronze Golem.

the bronze was back in D&D basic.  there have been in some other expanded books due to d20 license, but not sure its been reprinted in official monster manuals.

Sanjay

4 minutes ago, rubegon said:

That’s the one I got at RC!  I thought it was a Dire Catfish.  :rolleyes:

I wonder if this is going to be in Bones Black in addition to being bigger, etc.  Is there any art of it out there?

The dire  catfish was in Bones 4! ::P:

932CD01C-A11B-4EBE-A882-D1F72DD9F2F3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My list hasn't change much. Looking forward to the alleged Greek Mythos Expansion.  I would also jump at another terrain based expansion like the graveyard one from prior years.

Catfolk x2

Catoblepas

Thing in the Well

Narthalyssx

Valfuryx

Dragonfolk x2

Dragon Bust x6

Aganzarax

Paints 1

Encounter: Bridge Troll's Toll

War Mammoth 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Maybe they are there but we can't see them.

The new one is based on a similar concept to that one, but the pose is quite different and I reinterpreted a lot of the features.  Tentacles are more true to the concept, eyes are different, it is armored like a spiny lobster, etc...  Other things are similar.  Same family, but a different species.

Hard to say.  I gave them 2 versions, one for a 3" base and one for a 2" base.  I think they are planning on going with the 3" one, if so, the whole is about 5" long, but due to the more vertical pose, it fits on a 3" base.  I can't wait for you all to see it!

Ooh - that sounds really cool!  I can’t wait for me to see it!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, frickdog said:

What game systems that are built for mini's are about anthropomorphic dinosaurs, there may be a rifts or palladium setting for them but those would be very small niches. A wushu based set for LOT5R, or Kara Tur is great but what games have Dino People? broccoli an add on that those that want the dino's could spend the money for them, awesome. But who is going to use them in a game? For me they would sit in a bag in a box after being painted not used, while the other pieces would just be waiting for the players to go to Kara-Tur.

While I understand your frustration with them, and that's cool, because all figures won't appeal to all people;  I just wanted to point out that not everyone here plays D&D/RPGs.  There are any number of games where you could easily use Dino People.  Games such as Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Rogue Stars, and Song of Blades and Heroes to name just a few...  

There are also tabletop wargamers here, and folks who paint just for fun for whom the figures are just fine.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Number Based on 1000-1100 Reaper time today:
Total Gain Today: $32,755
Total Gain 24 Hours: $100,729
Total to Next Goal: $32,469
New Backers This Hour: 37
Gain in last Hour: $5,077
Current Average Pledge: $117.50
Average Hourly Backers Today: 37.0
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 41.8
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $5,077
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $5,520
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 6.4
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 5.9

Current Total Pledges: $1,342,531
Current Total Backers: 11,426
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,337,454
Previous Hour Total Backers: 11,389
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread
  • SamuraiJack pinned this topic