Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

16 hours ago, haldir said:

So you're saying about 400 in US dollars. :lol:

(Crazy how much of difference the exchange rate is these days)

All I know is that is gonna be a big box(es]!!

Nope, it's all in US funds.

Looks worse in Canadian ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm often concerned that a humanoid/PC mini will wind up being the perfect miniature for a player, but I'd already painted it into a color palette that doesn't match what the player wants. Since I usually provide the minis to my players, it means my humanoid/PC minis tend to be the last things I get to.

(767)

allow your players to use wierd character race/species etc so you'll never worry about the prefect figure for them, as the models wont exist for those characters :D

Sanjay

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm often concerned that a humanoid/PC mini will wind up being the perfect miniature for a player, but I'd already painted it into a color palette that doesn't match what the player wants. Since I usually provide the minis to my players, it means my humanoid/PC minis tend to be the last things I get to.

I keep flip flopping between having this mindset and not having it. On one hand - sure, I want them to have cool minis that look like their characters. On the other hand, I also spent hundreds of dollars on 'em, the paint, the books and everything, not to mention the countless hours spent writing and preparing and organizing and painting and like. Oh no. :C the cape is the wrong colour. I feel SO bad about this. Just so, so terrible.....

But admittedly, I usually settle on "if you want it to look a certain way, do it yourself". I'm not painting for other people, I'm painting for myself. ::P: Unless someone is sliding $5 my way or something, I feel they can deal with the details being a tad off.

11 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Nope, it's all in US funds.

Looks worse in Canadian ones.

I feel you. I calculated up what the USD was for mine and then told myself that was what I actually spent, instead of the real total. Which was much, much worse in moose bucks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm often concerned that a humanoid/PC mini will wind up being the perfect miniature for a player, but I'd already painted it into a color palette that doesn't match what the player wants. Since I usually provide the minis to my players,

That random wizard cursed them to wear royal blue clothing with golden accents! The fiend! How are they meant to show off their depressing childhood and cursed existence if they are not wearing fifty shades of brown?

To be hones if you are providing the minis, that shouldn't really matter. If they complain about the colour of the dress they probably should be brining their own mini.

I really don't understand why I am more excited for the civilians than any other of the current minis. I really wish that the next kickstarter will have more high-class historic civilians or some folk dresses from Central and Eastern Europe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PhantomAsh said:

I keep flip flopping between having this mindset and not having it. On one hand - sure, I want them to have cool minis that look like their characters. On the other hand, I also spent hundreds of dollars on 'em, the paint, the books and everything, not to mention the countless hours spent writing and preparing and organizing and painting and like. Oh no. :C the cape is the wrong colour. I feel SO bad about this. Just so, so terrible.....

But admittedly, I usually settle on "if you want it to look a certain way, do it yourself". I'm not painting for other people, I'm painting for myself. ::P: Unless someone is sliding $5 my way or something, I feel they can deal with the details being a tad off.

I typically and happily paint the miniatures for my friends/players. Mostly because they don't really paint themselves, and I recognize that it's not in their wheelhouse overall. They often offer to pay me, but I usually just do it pro-bono. I was probably going to paint the mini anyway, after all. TBF, most of my players haven't even complained that an existing mini didn't have quite the right colors - that's more my own, personal neurosis.

• Like 6

Yeah, my players had "good enough" stand-in figures then I went "HERE YA GO" and they liked it. Some knew which figure I was using prior, and a color scheme, some didn't.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I also have this problem, but extended to NPCs as well.  I often use color to align minis with members of a similar faction.  So if I don't have a specific use for the character yet I can't paint it, even if I know I will find a use eventually.  It might end up needing to be different for whatever use I eventually find.

Units of similar creatures and beings are the ones I get to first.  Especially things that are relatively neutral.  It's easy to paint up a bunch of mummies without worrying about choosing the wrong scheme.  However sometimes I get held up on painting a group if I know I'm waiting on more similar figures to arrive.  My goblins and kobolds are waiting for Bones 5 so I can properly divide them into sub group with different skin tones so that the duplicates remain somewhat unique.

At the end of the day, there's always something to paint, and I likely will never catch up to the collection, but even unpainted plastic brings be joy.

On another note, is anyone else underwhelmed by the villager set?  It's the only item I regret buying, namely because I had intended to remove it from my cart before checking out.  But the figures are just so static, not like the more dynamic and unique villagers from Bones 4, or the even weirder non-human race villagers from previous kickstarters.  But the part that I'm most disappointed about is those tiny bland bases.  They look like they'd tip over so easily and the bases don't appear to be textured (I could be wrong).  But for such bland figures, it's a shame that I'll likely have to rebase them all since I don't care to spend much time prepping figures that aren't all that interesting.  Would rather be able to slap paint on and call it a day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, MoonglowMinis said:

On another note, is anyone else underwhelmed by the villager set?  It's the only item I regret buying, namely because I had intended to remove it from my cart before checking out.  But the figures are just so static, not like the more dynamic and unique villagers from Bones 4, or the even weirder non-human race villagers from previous kickstarters.  But the part that I'm most disappointed about is those tiny bland bases.  They look like they'd tip over so easily and the bases don't appear to be textured (I could be wrong).  But for such bland figures, it's a shame that I'll likely have to rebase them all since I don't care to spend much time prepping figures that aren't all that interesting.  Would rather be able to slap paint on and call it a day.

I think they look like they have natural standing poses, which is what I mostly would want for generic villagers. And then I can have someone with more dynamic poses for special NPCs, if needed. :) 

And personally, I actually prefer the simple, round bases. I think it'll work great for my use. :)

• Like 8
1 hour ago, MoonglowMinis said:

...  But the figures are just so static, not like the more dynamic and unique villagers from Bones 4...

I said the exact same thing in this very thread, when the villagers were first revealed during the Kickstarter. I didn’t get them, because they were so boring. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Same here, I much prefer the villagers from Bones IV, and the Dunkeldorf ones I got recently. I do like that there are children though, I may have to pick those up once they hit retail

• Like 3

I was also ambivalent about the townsfolk. Then I realized if I mounted several per 3 inch base it would make populating a town square or crowded bar really easy. Just drop a few bases full of villagers on the table and you're good to go, no messing around with dozens of separately mounted figures. And in those instances, where I just want a bunch of bodies on the table, I don't really want a bunch of dynamic poses. They're perfect for that and should be really easy to paint. Now that I'm talking about it I'm kind of wishing I'd gotten a second set. In addition to my above ideas their rather stiff poses would make them easy to turn into innocent bystander casualty markers. 

• Like 10

I got the villagers when’s I realized they’d convert into good crew for the siege engines.   I don’t mind if my crew are just standing around most of the time.  They don’t need to be running alll over the battlefield being dynamic! ::):

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I got the villagers when’s I realized they’d convert into good crew for the siege engines.   I don’t mind if my crew are just standing around most of the time.  They don’t need to be running alll over the battlefield being dynamic! ::):

If artillery crew around running around like mad, it's either one of two things...

- Food's ready, or... 

- it's not a good day. 

• Haha 7

I feel that there are some villagers that fit:
- Travelling Priests or travelling mage (better yet some of them are young)
- Nuns (there is a couple ladies that if painted up right would look like stern nuns looking at you with great disappointment)
- Small Merchants in the process of selling wares.

The biggest problem I have with them is the clothing. I would have preferred some more traditional easter/central European celebratory dresses (some things like Polskie Stroje Ludowe.) A series of miniatures representing National Costumes would be interesting. 

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here, villagers were just too plain and static, an easy pass I am sure I will not regret:) Curious if that is why it was one of the first mini's pulled from PM? Maybe they ordered low because of lack of interest and as such got sold out pretty quick? I wish I had ordered one more spider:(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1