Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

3 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

I know we briefly touched on what gets painted first, but that reminded me of another fun question.

What do you use your Bones for?

I'm mostly a D&D guy so I paint up what I need for the next game, or sometimes the cool thing I want to paint motivates what goes into my next game.  Though recently I've been painting stuff up for Rangers of Shadow Deep, as it's given me some motivation to throw paint on some of the models I otherwise would overlook.

How about the rest of you?  I know some of yinz are just here for the painting, while others use them for non-D&D games.

I paint for fun

Hubby uses what I paint for his games 

• Like 8
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Running my D&D games. 

Back at the start of the pandemic, the makers of Frostgrave made a few of their Frostgrave 1st edition books available as free PDF downloads, so it’s not out of the question that I might use these for war gaming units someday.

I did appreciate the units approach they seemed to take with Bones 5, even though Frostgrave wasn’t really on my radar at the time. D&D definitely still has uses for units of Boulder-Kin (Galeb-Duhr), Elven rangers, Undead Kings (death knights?), Dragonfolk (Draconians or Dragonborn), Rune Wights (Draugr/Wights), and Demonic Legions (Tanarukk).  I hope Reaper continues to make units like these for Bones 6; great sculpts useable to both war gamers and TTRPG players. 

• Like 7

Mostly I paint the bones.  

In the rare event that I am running an in-person game, ill use them as much as possible. 

Most of my PCs get painted up as well (exception - my current Grung Assassin,  small armored frog-people are kinda hard to find)  and the game is fully remote anyway  -

I got a lead on a STL file and a Print on demand place today, and it seems worth looking at, they have some fun frog files. 

I started into bones using them all in games, but discovered I just like painting them.  

• Like 6

Mostly I paint for grins and giggles.

But I also have a group or two of characters in my head, and they sometimes need to do things.  It helps me figure out what/why when I've got mini-representation for them.  Then they settle down for a bit.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

I know we briefly touched on what gets painted first, but that reminded me of another fun question.

I'm mostly a D&D guy so I paint up what I need for the next game, or sometimes the cool thing I want to paint motivates what goes into my next game.  Though recently I've been painting stuff up for Rangers of Shadow Deep, as it's given me some motivation to throw paint on some of the models I otherwise would overlook.

How about the rest of you?  I know some of yinz are just here for the painting, while others use them for non-D&D games.

I paint for fun and for our Pathfinder game. The big, fancy minis naturally get more attention, but I occasionally pick one mini from a group of monsters to get a really fancy paint job and then watch my players scramble to target the obviously important mini ::D:

4 hours ago, PhantomAsh said:

Likewise, DnD, though given how infrequently I sometimes play, I suppose you could say I just paint for fun, sometimes xD

Yeah, we haven't had a game since March :down: 

My housemate and I have a running bet on what will happen first - Bones 5 delivery or our weekly game restarting. My bet is on the big box of minis to be honest.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

I paint for fun and for our Pathfinder game. The big, fancy minis naturally get more attention, but I occasionally pick one mini from a group of monsters to get a really fancy paint job and then watch my players scramble to target the obviously important mini ::D:

My housemate and I have a running bet on what will happen first - Bones 5 delivery or our weekly game restarting. My bet is on the big box of minis to be honest.

We stopped gaming in person in February (shortly after my birthday), but continued playing on line... We did most of Rise of teh Runelords that way. When things kind of got back to normal here in Maryland we went back to in-person gaming. man i hated playing through Skype and that other one... (forgot the name). We did a Starfinder campaign and are now doing a starwars EOTE campaign. Honestly if playing virtually became the only way to cpntinue playing, i think I would probably quit. 

I am looking forward to minis coming, but this year's gaming issues probably contributed as to why i didnt go very big on this one. 

Only got the Ship, the henchwoman, the vampire encounter. the ghoul encounter, the halloween knight , the kids and the demon sex clubbers.

Just added another Shadows of Ravenhome...

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 7
11 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

for D&D.  not necessarily for the next session cause when we were playing in person, in general i use lots of creatures, etc that dont have models for them butwhen i do have the model, i use it :D

i started to paint more seriously when i got into warhammer around 2002 or 2003 and then contests, etc so my collection of models is fairly diverse. lots of different companies, materials , etc .

Sanjay

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Yeah, I'd bet on the box!

I'm in the same boat, haven't played in ages. The sad part was, I was in the middle of writing up a campaign and was set to start it in March ::P: that obviously didn't happen

• Like 6
20 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Its mostly a hobby. I play on Skype with my friends right now. But I love painting them. I hope to get in person gaming again soon

• Like 5

Interesting reading the comments: I had thought at first that the pandemic may have helped the post-Kickstarter Pledge Manager because a lot of folks were sitting at home bored with nothing to do but click on the pledge manager and add more to their cart. But now I wonder if the lack of inspiration from in-person gaming hurt the Kickstarter. Or did it all balance out in the long run?  

Personally, I probably spent more as there were a lot less  “in person” opportunities to spend my hobby money at stores and conventions; so most all got re-siphoned into the Pledge Manager. 

• Like 9

What?  don't you play with one person that has two web cams?  One for him and the other for the map?  That is how we Skype.  I have the two cams because I have the most minis.  Should be interesting on Tuesday because I'm having the basement floor listed to fix the 35' crack.  It is right next to the gaming table so that has been moved.  Hope they are done early enough to set it up for 7pm start (not that we do start on time usually.)

• Like 7
  • Confused 1