Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

I have two groups that have continued to play in person this entire time; 12 people and everyone is fine. I spent the same as i would have spent otherwise and tbh, I wish I had spent less only due to the fact that I have so many 20 miniatures and I’m beginning to feel like I’m going to drown in them. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

What?  don't you play with one person that has two web cams?  One for him and the other for the map?  That is how we Skype.  I have the two cams because I have the most minis.  

This is how we do it too, though we use Zoom as our platform. The GM uses the camera on his computer which he is sitting in front of , and has his phone, nicknamed “the battlecam ::):) in some sort of mount leaning over the gaming surface which is on a small desk-side table. 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
13 hours ago, Crowley said:

For me it's a nice blend of "I just like painting them, using them for D&D, and in various wargames"

^This

56 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

This is how we do it too, though we use Zoom as our platform. The GM uses the camera on his computer which he is sitting in front of , and has his phone, nicknamed “the battlecam ::):) in some sort of mount leaning over the gaming surface which is on a small desk-side table. 

I think I'm going to have to do this at some point.  I've been running a game for a bit through zoom and some things just need to have a visual representation.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Interesting reading the comments: I had thought at first that the pandemic may have helped the post-Kickstarter Pledge Manager because a lot of folks were sitting at home bored with nothing to do but click on the pledge manager and add more to their cart. But now I wonder if the lack of inspiration from in-person gaming hurt the Kickstarter. Or did it all balance out in the long run?  

Personally, I probably spent more as there were a lot less  “in person” opportunities to spend my hobby money at stores and conventions; so most all got re-siphoned into the Pledge Manager. 

Oh, this definitely happened to me. Especially after we had a harsher lockdown; before then I was at least doing safe inventory runs, but after I started sitting at home? ::P: goodbye money!

I think part of the problem is that it just fell to the wayside for people due to the chaos of this year. They told themselves they'd do it later, and then later came and things were gone.

7 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

What?  don't you play with one person that has two web cams?  One for him and the other for the map?  That is how we Skype.  I have the two cams because I have the most minis.  Should be interesting on Tuesday because I'm having the basement floor listed to fix the 35' crack.  It is right next to the gaming table so that has been moved.  Hope they are done early enough to set it up for 7pm start (not that we do start on time usually.)

..... Okay, I really like this two webcam trick and I might try it. I have been hesitant to go online because I really like the actual gameplay of in person, but maybe I just need to figure out how to get my mat onto a screen

• Like 4

Personally not a big fan of playing over the internet, prefer it being in person. Have been playing with my group, though not during the heaviest lockdowns. We've pretty much made a small safety bubble of whom we have social contact with during Covid, so we're able to play once in a while. :)

• Like 4
On 1/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, PhantomAsh said:

From Bones 5 Live today; they showed images of the packaging for the first retail releases from Bones 5. They're focusing first on some small box sets, specifically the Demonic Legion (renamed Blood Demons), Henchmen & Hirelings (including henchwomen), Crypt of the Dwarf King encounter, the Brinewind Extras and the Elemental Scions.

I can understand things like the Dwarf Crypt being a set, but I'm going to real disappointed if I have to go to ebay auctions to get the one elemental scion I wanted. 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, MoonglowMinis said:

What do you use your Bones for?

They mostly line the walls of the basement and act as extra insulation.  Seriously though, I paint them, and the lucky ones get used in games. Not being able to play has definitely cut down on the amount of painting I do. 

11 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Interesting reading the comments: I had thought at first that the pandemic may have helped the post-Kickstarter Pledge Manager because a lot of folks were sitting at home bored with nothing to do but click on the pledge manager and add more to their cart. But now I wonder if the lack of inspiration from in-person gaming hurt the Kickstarter. Or did it all balance out in the long run?  

I'm wondering how many people are staring longingly at the KS page in between applying for jobs online.  A lot of gamers are younger and without job security.

3 hours ago, Guyra said:

Personally not a big fan of playing over the internet, prefer it being in person. Have been playing with my group, though not during the heaviest lockdowns. We've pretty much made a small safety bubble of whom we have social contact with during Covid, so we're able to play once in a while. :)

Would love to have a safety bubble with our game group.  Unfortunately we have a couple of guys who aren't taking precautions, and even though nobody has got sick yet I'm not risking it.   It's been Roll20 for us for about 8 months now.  The ability to have maps and handouts is nice.  Everyone misses the minis though. 

• Like 13
3 hours ago, Inarah said:

I can understand things like the Dwarf Crypt being a set, but I'm going to real disappointed if I have to go to ebay auctions to get the one elemental scion I wanted. 

I can relate. All I want is the fish scion. But not enough to buy the whole set and get the others I don't want

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Personally, I probably spent more as there were a lot less  “in person” opportunities to spend my hobby money at stores and conventions; so most all got re-siphoned into the Pledge Manager. 

For me, it was kind of the reverse.  Since there were more costs associated with work (and sadly, several new ones I had to tack onto the budget as work wasn't covering for them) I wound up heavily cutting back on hobbying funds at the time...  Then add in having to pay for transport to and from work since we didn't get to take work vehicles home anymore.. 

Well, that and three ambulance bills plus other associated expenses tend to put a huge dent in things. 

Eh, I've got the biggest things we truly wanted on our list already paid for.  I'd love to get more, but there's no real spare cash until I've dealt with the paperwork issues at the Canada Revenue Agency, which hopefully will be resolved in short order...  Sadly it's on their timeframe, which means it's going to be several more weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Hopefully the sets are more of a retailer thing, and Reaper will sell the individual minis directly or at least have that option.

• Like 6

I would be fairly surprised if the scions don't eventually hit retail individually. They're larger pieces and the female versions (the ones that exist) are already also individual. But we'll have to see, I suppose.

(Here's to hoping Bones 6 has the female water and earth scions, I am begging Reaper, please)

• Like 8
43 minutes ago, dwarvenranger said:

My group shut down for a month, and then it was back to business as normal. Although now I'm on a 2-3 month break, as my son was born on New Year's Eve.

Congratulations!!! :bday:

• Like 2

Also painted my mini's to use on the table for D&D :) Hosting several games.

Here we shifted to online games on Roll20 and Discord in march.

the weekly game survived. We're still playing online every friday evening, with only a rare miss or shift. Everyone has a webcam (which helps immensely to get the real feel back some-ish).

One campaign died instantly in the first lockdown.

I miss showing off my mini's in the D&D sessions, it's such a fun use of them.

But the online games are still fun, the roleplay still works, rp conversations still work well, drama, etc.

It's still not the same, and I'd much prefer IRL games again, but we gotta take one for the team right now, and I aim to play my part.

That, and we got a baby incoming somewhere in the  next few weeks, and i really wanna be safe so I can be there, if I get symptoms or corona I can't even witness it and support my wife.

Edited by Venun
typo's galore
  • Like 6
19 minutes ago, Smallbunyanga said:

What do yall do with pieces that don't vibe with you?

Sell em. now, i'll keep some for my 4 year olds to "paint" ... but ya sell.  its good cause it covers the cost of the kickstarter and preps me for the next one :D

Sanjay

• Like 4