Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

39 minutes ago, Smallbunyanga said:

I feel bad asking this because the pieces are all well done but some just don't vibe with me.

What do yall do with pieces that don't vibe with you?

One never knows the future: the pieces that are "whatever, into the Bucket-of-Later you go" today, might be just what you're looking for tomorrow (or next month).

And they make excellent opportunities for practice/learning.

• Like 5
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dwarvenranger said:

My group shut down for a month, and then it was back to business as normal. Although now I'm on a 2-3 month break, as my son was born on New Year's Eve.

Congrats!!

48 minutes ago, Smallbunyanga said:

I feel bad asking this because the pieces are all well done but some just don't vibe with me.

Sell them

Put them in a BOGW

Send some to friends

Chop heads and weapons off for base decorations or paint them as statues.

• Like 8
48 minutes ago, Smallbunyanga said:

Sell, trade, Box of Goodwill, or put aside for possible use as conversion fodder. 

• Like 5
On 1/16/2021 at 2:57 AM, redambrosia said:

Funko should just start opening their own stores.... 

I do hope they sell those docks and the carts separate. You obviously should have a bunch of docks, and more than one cart for a caravan. I love the idea of packing them all up in sets. They should do that with their guards and such too!

I feel that way about the boat. The Dreadmere boat sold really well, it was consistently out of stock when it hit the Reaper store. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Smallbunyanga said:

What do y'all do with pieces that don't vibe with you?

I won't buy a set if there aren't enough minis that make me happy. I'm hoping to trade a few, hopefully some of the locals bought some different stuff. I have problems selling stuff online or participating in BoGW because shipping in/to Canada is prohibitively expensive.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I won't buy a set if there aren't enough minis that make me happy. I'm hoping to trade a few, hopefully some of the locals bought some different stuff. I have problems selling stuff online or participating in BoGW because shipping in/to Canada is prohibitively expensive.  

Its only a small number per set.

For example, Fan Favorites there's only the Mamlord and the Firbolgs that I don't care for. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PhantomAsh said:

(Here's to hoping Bones 6 has the female water and earth scions, I am begging Reaper, please)

I’m fairly certain the earth scion coming from Bones 5 is a female. I could be wrong, but the shape of the chest looks like it has breasts under the armor. 

image.png.d11d39f24d89e3e1a7cab44aef5ea2f0.png

• Like 6
4 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I’m fairly certain the earth scion coming from Bones 5 is a female. I could be wrong, but the shape of the chest looks like it has breasts under the armor. 

image.png.d11d39f24d89e3e1a7cab44aef5ea2f0.png

Every time I look at the earth scion I can’t help but see the impression that Wayne Reynolds’ style has impacted others. 

• Like 4
On 1/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, Thoramel said:

Then I realized if I mounted several per 3 inch base it would make populating a town square or crowded bar really easy. Just drop a few bases full of villagers on the table and you're good to go, no messing around with dozens of separately mounted figures. 

That's brilliant!

On 1/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, MoonglowMinis said:

What do you use your Bones for?

Mostly for Pathfinder games. I'm the DM and provide the minis, both for my creatures and the PCs. I also paint the miniatures to give myself something to do during work hours at the call center job. Some of the minis I've painted may never see the table, but they were something I was really excited to paint. Some minis, I've painted and then sold, like Khanjira, while others just take up space in display cabinets for me to look at on occasion.

18 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

I can relate. All I want is the fish scion. But not enough to buy the whole set and get the others I don't want

Whereas I really dislike the fish scion and mostly only want the Earth scion. I already have the female Efreet, and I don't really need two of them at once, but the earth scion is cool enough that I was figuring on waiting for retail. If it's just in a boxed set, I'll pass.

10 hours ago, Venun said:

Also painted my mini's to use on the table for D&D :) Hosting several games.

Here we shifted to online games on Roll20 and Discord in march.

the weekly game survived. We're still playing online every friday evening, with only a rare miss or shift. Everyone has a webcam (which helps immensely to get the real feel back some-ish).

One campaign died instantly in the first lockdown.

I miss showing off my mini's in the D&D sessions, it's such a fun use of them.

But the online games are still fun, the roleplay still works, rp conversations still work well, drama, etc.

It's still not the same, and I'd much prefer IRL games again, but we gotta take one for the team right now, and I aim to play my part.

That, and we got a baby incoming somewhere in the  next few weeks, and i really wanna be safe so I can be there, if I get symptoms or corona I can't even witness it and support my wife.

My campaign hadn't met since before Christmas, 2019, thanks to one of my players being frustratingly unreliable, and then COVID hit and we stopped getting together at all. I've seen them a few times, but I also miss showing off my minis when they come over. I've painted so many that it's hard to keep track of which minis I still haven't shown them, so I'm sure there's several that haven't been shown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Whereas I really dislike the fish scion and mostly only want the Earth scion. I already have the female Efreet, and I don't really need two of them at once, but the earth scion is cool enough that I was figuring on waiting for retail. If it's just in a boxed set, I'll pass.

my hope is to find one in a conversion class at a future reapercon one day

• Like 2
On 1/16/2021 at 9:08 AM, MoonglowMinis said:

I know we briefly touched on what gets painted first, but that reminded me of another fun question.

What do you use your Bones for?

I'm mostly a D&D guy so I paint up what I need for the next game, or sometimes the cool thing I want to paint motivates what goes into my next game.  Though recently I've been painting stuff up for Rangers of Shadow Deep, as it's given me some motivation to throw paint on some of the models I otherwise would overlook.

How about the rest of you?  I know some of yinz are just here for the painting, while others use them for non-D&D games.

I use my minis to take up all the available space in my house and on my desk. Who needs a clutter free home anyway? :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Seeing we're coming quite close to the kickstarter shipping date, has anyone heard word about the EU shipping hub by now?

With the Brexit happened and extra fees in place, I'm quite positive they need to be switching that up to the other european partner they mentioned in the past.

Germany if I'm not mistaking?

It would be really great to hear something from Reaper about this. @Reaper_Jon could you find information at this phase perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Venun said:

Seeing we're coming quite close to the kickstarter shipping date, has anyone heard word about the EU shipping hub by now?

With the Brexit happened and extra fees in place, I'm quite positive they need to be switching that up to the other european partner they mentioned in the past.

Germany if I'm not mistaking?

It would be really great to hear something from Reaper about this. @Reaper_Jon could you find information at this phase perhaps?

I would like to know as well!

I'm even very reluctant to back the next Bones KS because there hasn't been any update on this.

If there won't be a mainland EU Hub then it no longer will make a difference if it's shipped from the US or the UK for me.

Less profitable and I will have to think about it.

As far as things go in the world I have a feeling it will be my last KS for physical minis.

19 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

This is a subject that is also very important to me and I would hope for some greater diversity in the future.  It's nice to see it being discussed here, as conversations around wanting more women dwarves in the KS comments lead to the typical, unimaginative "did you assume their gender" jokes.

Representation in gaming maters.  It's why I'm always glad to see non-white-male figures.  If people are confused how more androgyny could benefit their character designs, look at it more as body-diversity.  People LOVED some of the options amongst the henchmen and henchwomen.  And the recent Dungeons and Diversity line of wheel-chair using minis were incredibly popular online.  There's just a lot of room to break from the "traditional."

Sidebar on the word "traditional."  I would caution people away from referring to subjects of diversity as "traditional" or "non-traditional."  Traditionally the majority voices dictate what is or isn't seen as "normal," and using that kind of wording implies that minority representation is seen as abnormal, strange, or wrong.  Like the "alien" point PhantomAsh mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Guyra said:

Just going to raise my hand as well in regards to wanting more gender and body type diversity in miniatures! I play with several nonbinary people, as well as others whom often prefer playing androgynous characters. I'd love to see more representation in miniatures. :)

Another thing I've asked for before is bald women. :)

I paint for fun and display, so..not a gamer.

But I like as many options as possible to paint an interesting mini.

There are few out there.

As for Reaper I think this one might fit the bill.

https://www.reapermini.com/search/figurefinder+dwarf/latest/89052

This one is even listed as gender neutral

https://www.reapermini.com/search/gender

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Super Administrators
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have brought this up to the team and haven't gotten a solid answer as of a few weeks ago. 
I will push them hard this week and try to get a statement! If that happens i would expect it to be posted on all socials. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6