Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

I highly recommend just heading to dollar tree and snagging like 5 packages of double pack super glue. It's 5 bucks and you're covered for a good while and won't need to worry about a bottle going old on you. Harbor freight also has 3 packs for .99 right now. 

• Like 8

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, billeecats said:

Out of curiosity, if you bought, say, one of everything, how much glue are you going to run through? 

(Edited to add: Cannot believe that *this* is what finally got me curious enough to stop lurking...smh.)

Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the forum!  

I’m another in the I-don’t-assemble-the-mini-until-I’m-ready-to-paint camp.  But I know there are lots of folks who like them all glued together first thing.  

• Like 9

11 hours ago, billeecats said:

Out of curiosity, if you bought, say, one of everything, how much glue are you going to run through? 

(Edited to add: Cannot believe that *this* is what finally got me curious enough to stop lurking...smh.)

Welcome to the forums! 

Regarding the glue, I think I went through 3 packets of superglue with Bones 4......but I've only gone through a third of that haul.:blush:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Regarding how much glue: I'm also an assemble as needed type, but I figure that once fulfillment starts, I'll going to go get a few shares of Loctite stock.::P:

Get stock in LePage too while you're at it, because that's the Canadian name for the exact same stuff.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Y'all are so helpful, thank you! :blush: 

I backed Bones 5 as a late backer (my first!) though I've picked up some (too many) Bones 3 and Bones 4 figures in auctions here and there. I'm fairly new to mini painting, having dabbled off and on for a few years before this and really only getting into it last year, but I already have a shelf of shame lol. I'm pretty excited about painting up some of the figures from this kickstarter, especially the dragons! 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, billeecats said:

I'd recommend gel superglue. It tends to take a little bit longer to set, but it can be used as a filler for small gaps that some minis will have and save you a step on your Bones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Fnordlover said:

I'd recommend gel superglue. It tends to take a little bit longer to set, but it can be used as a filler for small gaps that some minis will have and save you a step on your Bones.

I've had weird experiences with gel super glue where it doesn't seem to stick the pieces together. I actually avoid gel glue now

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've never had an issue with gel glue... Other than the occasional Infinity model...  But my bottles of gel superglue don't last very long here.  I tend to buy at least two a month, and when I'm on an assembly kick that's closer to six a month.. 

However, I coupd definitely see it acting up in a number of circumstances... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

Moisture in the air can cause super glue to go "off", so to speak. The gel variety seems to be more prone to this than the thin runny kind, but I find that most tubes have an opened useful shelf life of 6-8 months. 

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I've never had an issue with gel glue... Other than the occasional Infinity model...  

I've started using brand new glue for those minis, it's taken my success rate to, ooh maybe a mighty 50% :lol:

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1