Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Pfff..

I still have original Grenadier minis unpainted I bought in the 80's!

Amateurs...

*** Sips Coffee***

::P:

HA! I still have one of the first two miniatures I ever bought ( a Grenadier wererat) back in '86 that I never got around to painting, lol...

:B):

As for my Bones kickstarter stuff, hardly any of it ever got painted - not even counting the fact that I had to sell off most of it a few years ago, I've only ever gotten around to painting a handful of the figured I kept.

I'd probably be the God of Procrastination by now if Ascending didn't sound like so much effort.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bones painting guilt is at the back of a 40 year-long line for me! 

My first minis were Prince August home casts, so they all got melted down again at some point, leaving me guilt free (fond memories of little pools of multicoloured Humbrol enamels floating on the molten metal for the few that did suffer my 11yr-old attempts).

Alas I still have my first purchased Citadel mini, a pre-slotta hill giant that is shorter than some Reaper dwarves, and after 38 years it remains untouched by paint. From the days before primer many of my other fantasy folk bear only the odd smudge of colour to show I did occasionally try.

In fact the only thing I have from my early years that still shows evidence of a lifelong lack of skill are some 10mm-ish Battle of Hoth plastic Rebels, and accompanying Walkers (Grey) and snowspeeders (Cream) . Cream for the legs and arms,  brown for the torsos and hats, black for the guns, and a dab of muddy pink for the faces. Done. Would that I were happy with that approach today: we mightn't be having this conversation. 

• Like 8
15 hours ago, the_largest_rodent said:

If you could provide a link that would be awesome! I bought some 3” and 4” washers from Amazon, but they’re really beefy i mean, they work, but they’re kind of pricey and overall the weight makes it not the most practical. 

I’ve looked at my local hardware stores, as well as Home Depot and Lowe’s without success. I’ve considered getting some sheet metal and having someone cut me some circles but I wouldn’t know where to start with that either!

I'll PM you the info.  I had never ordered the 4" ones,  and when I just double checked they are very thick at a half inch; but I have orders the 3" ones and can attest to their thinness at .065 inch.  

• Like 5

The Reaper site’s preview page now shows the Bones 5 Rune Wights and Dragonfolk add-ons as coming to retail in June. 

These were two of some of the first things to sell out in the PM (I had actually wanted to get one more copy of each), so it’s nice they’ll be available soon. 

Assuming the figure two-packs retail at $5.99 (though as they’re supposed to be Bones Black, they might be $6.99), then they’ll cost just shy of $36 ($42). Given that in total they came to $20 in the pledge manager, I really wish I’d ordered another set of each in there <_<

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I'm still really surprised they went with "Rune Wight" and not the obvious Draugr they are meant to be.  I figured Skyrim would have made the term popular enough!

probably to avoid any potential issues - even though the name itself is from ancient Norse, that's not stopped people from making claims before

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I'll PM you the info.  I had never ordered the 4" ones,  and when I just double checked they are very thick at a half inch; but I have orders the 3" ones and can attest to their thinness at .065 inch.  

If you could send that my way, too, that'd be appreciated.

6 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I'm still really surprised they went with "Rune Wight" and not the obvious Draugr they are meant to be.  I figured Skyrim would have made the term popular enough!

The most recent Magic: the Gathering set also has draugr, since it's a Norse inspired workd.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

If you could send that my way, too, that'd be appreciated.

The most recent Magic: the Gathering set also has draugr, since it's a Norse inspired workd.

Done. ::):

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, true fact. I love Bob and Julie sculpts with a powerful love. They are the reasons I backed Bones V. I'm not even joking. Their sculpts that I saw at Reapercon, and then Wiebe's Yokai were the final straw. I mean no disparagement to the other brilliant sculptors that work for Reaper, because they also pulled out all the stops, and have always done so. But my secret weakness are cute monsters, undeads, and dragonmen. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Loim said:

So, true fact. I love Bob and Julie sculpts with a powerful love. They are the reasons I backed Bones V. I'm not even joking. Their sculpts that I saw at Reapercon, and then Wiebe's Yokai were the final straw. I mean no disparagement to the other brilliant sculptors that work for Reaper, because they also pulled out all the stops, and have always done so. But my secret weakness are cute monsters, undeads, and dragonmen. 

I was on the fence about Dark Depths because I have a lot of sea critters, and Mr. Wiebe's Sea Giant pushed me over entirely.

• Like 8

The brine goblins were what lured me in for Dark Depths ::): And I love  the sirens and Brinewind to go along with it... and then I had to get the ship of course, with the hippocampus figurehead.

I'm running a campaign in the desert for the forseeable future, but I guess it's pirates after that! :lol: The Greek monsters will fit in well I think, whenever they make landfall, and the Dreadmere villagers will work well with the Brinewind ones. I'm really looking forward to painting the large jellyfish, but I'm also a bit scared of it. All the big seamonsters will be really fun to paint in bright, tropical colourschemes.

Julie's dragons are always lovely, but the other dragons of this campaign are really cool as well, so got all of them :lol:

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I was on the fence about Dark Depths because I have a lot of sea critters, and Mr. Wiebe's Sea Giant pushed me over entirely.

Mr. Wiebe’s Sea Giant is the biggest reason I regret not getting that expansion. Oh, and the Merfolk.... I should have gotten it. 

Edited by Demiosfire
  • Like 5

It's weird. Most of the stuff from Depths that everyone else is excited about is the stuff that I'm going to try to trade or sell off, the giant, the goblins, most of the mers, I'm not a fan. I guess that's why I'm a professional contrarian. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4