Jump to content

Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread


ladystorm

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've somehow forgotten what I went for in the final days - and I refuse to check! I know I was sorely tempted to add Dark Depths, mainly for the Giant and the Slithe, and by the Mammoth and the Ghoul and Vampire encounters, but I just can't remember if I put up the cash for any of them,  or indeed for something else entirely.

 

Opening the box in a few months is going to be an adventure. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Tordelback said:

I've somehow forgotten what I went for in the final days - and I refuse to check! I know I was sorely tempted to add Dark Depths, mainly for the Giant and the Slithe, and by the Mammoth and the Ghoul and Vampire encounters, but I just can't remember if I put up the cash for any of them,  or indeed for something else entirely.

 

Opening the box in a few months is going to be an adventure. 

That's the spirit!

Consider it a late Christmas present.:winkthumbs:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tordelback said:

I've somehow forgotten what I went for in the final days - and I refuse to check! I know I was sorely tempted to add Dark Depths, mainly for the Giant and the Slithe, and by the Mammoth and the Ghoul and Vampire encounters, but I just can't remember if I put up the cash for any of them,  or indeed for something else entirely.

 

Opening the box in a few months is going to be an adventure. 

 

I’m the same way. Once I finalized any last minute additions my pledge, I haven’t gone back and looked again at what I got.  So while I have a general idea, I’m not 100% sure about what will be showing up at my door.  ::):

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me the best part of dark depths was the realistic marine animals. Closely followed by the merfolk. I was most disappointed in the Crocosaurus due to its body shape being wrong for swimming, ofcourse this can be modified and it would make a good giant prehistoric amphibian (its gill structure reminds me a little of the them and I would just need to cut off the tail fluke and sculpt a new one. Maybe you could also exchange the front and back legs.)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, DragonWyrm said:

For me the best part of dark depths was the realistic marine animals. Closely followed by the merfolk. I was most disappointed in the Crocosaurus due to its body shape being wrong for swimming, ofcourse this can be modified and it would make a good giant prehistoric amphibian (its gill structure reminds me a little of the them and I would just need to cut off the tail fluke and sculpt a new one. Maybe you could also exchange the front and back legs.)

 

for me i got 4 words for ya:  Eye of the Deep  :P

 

that set could have cost double and i'd still get it for the Eye of the Deep (aka Fathom Tyrant)

 

Sanjay

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came really, really close to adding in the fan favorites expansion. So much that I had it added and was in the process of submitting payment when I rethought it. I realized that there were three figures that I wanted, and the rest I was more or less ambivalent about. So I decided to just pick those three items up at retail, or trade them from someone who might not want them later.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the unit-building potential in Dark Depths inspired me to get two of them.  The Merfolk, Slithe, Brine Goblins, and Merrow all coming in multiples are a great opportunity.  With two sets of each, I'll have some nice sizable units for large skirmish level wargames. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

All the unit-building potential in Dark Depths inspired me to get two of them.  The Merfolk, Slithe, Brine Goblins, and Merrow all coming in multiples are a great opportunity.  With two sets of each, I'll have some nice sizable units for large skirmish level wargames. 


Same, minus the wargame aspect. The fathom tyrant, plus all the Slithe, Merrow, and Merfolk were what convinced me to get a second Dark Depths. I’ll be set for a Sahaugin army, and Merfolk party allies. 
 

Didn't hurt that Ron kept talking up that they had packed too much stuff in the $50 expansion. I’m a sucker for a great value. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, after the last update I think Reaper is not interested in EU market. Sure this move will make them lost most of their EU customers...


Maybe is not clear for them what this mean for people like me who made a big order (500€ in my case) we will gonna end being charged at least a 40% in taxes, duties and import fees.

I'm not sure I'll ever buy something else from them. For sure I'll never back another Reaper KS.


Shame on you, Reaper.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sad part to me is that EU shipping and hubs were almost never talked about. It was a "Nobody knows what Brexit gonna bring, but sure, we'll take care of you! Maybe a hub in Germany" during the KS and then almost nothing afterwards. Why were numerous questions about that (for example in this forum or on KS) not answered? 

 

A more transparent system or them collecting duties upfront would have helped us calculate our savings on the KS or if it's a better idea to buy other products/retail Bones from EU resellers. 

 

It's really disappointing that we kinda get a throw-away sentence or two in an update about shipping times (that doesn't even contain when our containers will be in the UK). I mean, it's titled "More Containers Inbound", nothing about the importance to EU backers in it's content. Might be a minor detail, but to me it really speaks to the lack of importance this issue seems to have to whoever is running communications. When was this decision made? What happend to that mysterious hub in Germany? Will there be additional fees (over just us importing stuff from the UK) bc the figures originate in China? 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eh. Hate to point out the obvious, but any failed attempts at finding a partner in the EU are pretty clearly covered by the Campaign page. Not to mention their history in previous campaigns. Fool me once, etc. Never gamble more than you can afford to lose I guess. 

524001359_Screenshot2021-03-19150546.jpg.9a9951210aecf28713a597b011aa2bb1.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

Eh. Hate to point out the obvious, but any failed attempts at finding a partner in the EU are pretty clearly covered by the Campaign page. Not to mention their history in previous campaigns. Fool me once, etc. Never gamble more than you can afford to lose I guess. 

 

 

I understand what you're saying.

 

But Reaper founded the UK Hub and then Brexit loomed.

We ( I'm one of them) repeatedly asked them what the plans were if Brexit got through and how it would affect VAT/Customs etc.

Everytime it was downplayed or said that it would be fine.

So, I can understand why Europeans aren't happy with it.

I can afford it, that's not the point, the point is that it kept being downplayed and that this means that a KS is no longer really cheaper than waiting for retail.

For me this will also be the last Bones I will back.

 

Still love the models, I love Reaper, but it will just no longer be good value to me.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

I understand what you're saying.

 

But Reaper founded the UK Hub and then Brexit loomed.

We ( I'm one of them) repeatedly asked them what the plans were if Brexit got through and how it would affect VAT/Customs etc.

Everytime it was downplayed or said that it would be fine.

So, I can understand why Europeans aren't happy with it.

I can afford it, that's not the point, the point is that it kept being downplayed and that this means that a KS is no longer really cheaper than waiting for retail.

For me this will also be the last Bones I will back.

 

Still love the models, I love Reaper, but it will just no longer be good value to me.

 

I get that. And I fully understand the string of promises - but that's not exactly new behavior here is it? Hasn't this happened 3 of the previous 4 times?

I appreciate that you read my post and understood that I was not trying to be confrontational or disrespectful, just trying to point out that this was always the most likely scenario (at least in my mind).

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By zemjw
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/giochiuniti/pathfinder-arena
       
       

       
       
      Already well over fund target, with 19 days to go
    • By Guindyloo
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kontraros/order-of-cthulhu
       
      This is funded with 10 days left to go. There are busts, 75mm, 38mm and a couple of kickstarter exclusives.
       
      Miniature's Den is currently painting the female bust and will be working on a few more pieces on his twitch streams: https://www.twitch.tv/miniaturesden
       



       

       

    • By GreyHorde
      A small but creative series of Garden Gnome miniatures by sculptor Tom Mason. Search for his name in the Reaper figure finder and you'll see some of his other work.
       
      The Gnome Guard
       
      “The Gnome Guard” expands on the world of “The Adventures of Little Knife and Kronan” & ”The Goblin Menace” by introducing the stalwart guards of the garden.
       
      One of the world’s most timeless lawn decorations can now come to life on your tabletop. Whether you need comparably adorable force to face off against other pint-sized foes, or you’re just obsessed with garden gnomes, these miniatures will make a great addition to any collection.
       
       
      I have a few preview gnomes on my painting workbench. They are great! Small, simple, metal, easy to paint, but full of personality. [/unsolicited review]
       
    • By Grumpy Gnome
      Another “large collection of miniatures” kickstarters, reminiscent of the recent Blacklist Games Fantasy kickstarters.

      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextlevelminiatures/next-level-miniatures-dragons-hoard-miniatures-vol-1/

      I am tempted, even though it covers a lot of things we already have.
       
    • By Cranky Dog
      Right on the heels of their last shipped campaign, Midlam Miniatures is back. After several years of halflings, the gnomes are back!
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/gnomes-a-class-of-their-own
       

       





       
      Also available in different pledge combos, two of the older campaigns:
       
      I already own this one from 2018 (Common - Garden Gnomes):

       
      Royal Court of the Common (Garden) Gnomes (2019):

       
×
×
  • Create New...