Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

Certainly communication fell apart for EU customers here. On the import fees side though, is there much Reaper would have been able to do given the world situation, Brexit & plague definitely make everything more difficult.

• Like 7
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, pinkymadigan said:

I get that. And I fully understand the string of promises - but that's not exactly new behavior here is it? Hasn't this happened 3 of the previous 4 times?

I appreciate that you read my post and understood that I was not trying to be confrontational or disrespectful, just trying to point out that this was always the most likely scenario (at least in my mind).

You're absolutely right about the behavior part.

And from my point of view you made a solid point and wasn't negative at all

What saddens me a bit is that Reaper really tried to establish a EU Hub.

I don't understand why they chose the UK when even at the time of building that Hub, Brexit was already on the agenda.

If they had chosen Germany or the Netherlands for instance, these problems would have been avoided.

So, I do not have hard feelings toward Reaper, I'm still a bit of a fanboy... but I won't back a KS anymore this way.

Lately I've been backing 3D STL based kickstarters and that avoids all of these problems, plus the bonus of getting your stuff in a few weeks.

I will enjoy the minis, probably try to sell some stuff to recoup the VAT and move on...

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Certainly communication fell apart for EU customers here. On the import fees side though, is there much Reaper would have been able to do given the world situation, Brexit & plague definitely make everything more difficult.

I get that,

Yes they could have.

They underestimated Brexit, like I said, there was already talk of Brexit when Reaper decided to build a Hub in the UK.

I still think that was a bad business decision.

They should have chosen a EU Mainland Hub, it would have been so much better.

But things are what they are.

No hard feelings, a bit disappointed, and I've made my decision for the future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The problem is (at least in my case), knowing from the beginning that I would have been ending paying basically the retail price, I would never ordered as much as I have. 
First of all (speaking just for me in this case) living in a NO VAT zone I just do no have to pay any tax/fee/duties if I make an order for less than 150€;
second: would have ordered only what I was really interested in, once on retail, and not entire expansions for, maybe, 4/5 minis each, cause the others minis cost would be adsorbed by the difference between KS and Retail price.

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I don't understand why they chose the UK when even at the time of building that Hub, Brexit was already on the agenda.

If they had chosen Germany or the Netherlands for instance, these problems would have been avoided.

Given how data driven Reaper has always been, I think they have a significant foothold in UK that made the hub make sense regardless of Brexit. Given the prevelance of Reaper in the Kings of War groups I'm a part of on Facebook, I think there is probably a lot of wargamers there still using Reaper that it probably just made sense as their next permanent hub. I don't think the UK hub is just a Kickstarter thing, but rather an attempt to occupy some of the same space as the big boys at GW and their younger cousin Mantic. 

Obviously, not being privy to any of this information, we can only speculate. Hopefully the future holds other international hubs when the time is right.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, pinkymadigan said:

Given how data driven Reaper has always been, I think they have a significant foothold in UK that made the hub make sense regardless of Brexit. Given the prevelance of Reaper in the Kings of War groups I'm a part of on Facebook, I think there is probably a lot of wargamers there still using Reaper that it probably just made sense as their next permanent hub. I don't think the UK hub is just a Kickstarter thing, but rather an attempt to occupy some of the same space as the big boys at GW and their younger cousin Mantic. 

Obviously, not being privy to any of this information, we can only speculate. Hopefully the future holds other international hubs when the time is right.

Good point!

It might be the main reason they did that.

However Warhammer is the big thing for most fantasy wargamers here and GW is pretty aggressive, they won't let you use other company's minis in tournaments for example.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good point!

It might be the main reason they did that.

However Warhammer is the big thing for most fantasy wargamers here and GW is pretty aggressive, they won't let you use other company's minis in tournaments for example.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Mantic has done extremely well in curbing the "our models only" mentality. Kings of War basically got a lot of Warhammer fantasy defectors that hated the switch to Age of Sigmar. 

This is probably getting off topic though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

Mantic has done extremely well in curbing the "our models only" mentality. Kings of War basically got a lot of Warhammer fantasy defectors that hated the switch to Age of Sigmar. 

This is probably getting off topic though.

I guess it is...::P:

I'll leave it at : I hope Reaper will do fine in the UK.

I will sell off some stuff from Bones V to recoup the VAT and will stick to 3D KS from now on.

• Like 4

I seem to recall Ed mentioning on one of the Twitch live streams that the EU attempt failed because of regulations, fees and requirements of filing for the necessary permits to import (or something along those lines).  It would not have been approved/ in place before it was time to deliver.  It may have been in the state of Reaper post RVE stream or some such.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I seem to recall Ed mentioning on one of the Twitch live streams that the EU attempt failed because of regulations, fees and requirements of filing for the necessary permits to import (or something along those lines).  It would not have been approved/ in place before it was time to deliver.  It may have been in the state of Reaper post RVE stream or some such.

Thank you for this information. Having critical information like this in a stream, that happens at the middle of the night for the people concerned and not repeat it in an official update is a mistake. 

I tried to keep up with streams for some time, but they're too many these days and my life has changed so I can't be up that late anymore. Today's update should have been called "EU/UK shipping information" and should have contained:

- the info that everything is going to get shipped from the UK

- UK is getting the containers directly from China this time (that's good! I think)

- Are there even containers on their way/being planned for the UK right now? Will they be shipped from China when the US has all their stuff?

- What happend to the 'alternate hub'

- Ideally also information on what shipping partner they're going to use and what the country of origin will be on the paperwork (China or UK?) These things can make quite an impact on the fees, as I'd like to make sure that no parcel carrier will try and cash in absurd service fees for prepaying my duty fees. You can usually opt out of that and pick the package up yourself. 

This isn't some small indie company with three people in a trenchcoat fulfilling a KS with 20 miniatures total. This EU update affects over 2500 backers, and a lot of them might not have backed international KSs before/might not have imported orders of this magnitude from outside the EU. Giving us more than 2 sentences in some side paragraphe would go a long way to feeling more respected as backers and more understanding towards the company. 

• Like 9
57 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

They chose the UK because the language barrier on the mainland was seen as a problem for a company with English speaking employees.  Someone from Reaper relocated his family for this. There were going to be enough problems without having to translate languages.   I do know that many europeans speak English, but it is better to not have to run a business in an environment where you don't have a good understanding of the language. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
8 minutes ago, Inarah said:

They chose the UK because the language barrier on the mainland was seen as a problem for a company with English speaking employees.  Someone from Reaper relocated his family for this. There were going to be enough problems without having to translate languages.   I do know that many europeans speak English, but it is better to not have to run a business in an environment where you don't have a good understanding of the language. 

I would say welcome to the Netherlands.

We're a trading nation, always have been and most of us speak English quite well.

Most Dutch people speak at least English and many also German or another language.

We're also the proud owner of the largest harbor and could easily handle the goods.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Based on living in the US, I'd guess that more Europeans speak English fluently than Americans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

We're a trading nation, always have been and most of us speak English quite well.

Most Dutch people speak at least English and many also German or another language.

We're also the proud owner of the largest harbor and could easily handle the goods.

Sounds great. 

• Like 2

All I'm going to say is... Yup, they definitely could have handled putting that information out a lot better, especially since while the campaign was running the answer to "but what about the EU and Brexit?" was they were working on plans. 

I suspect the EU backers would have been more understanding of things had they been told months ago (say, by third quarter 2020, when everything was still available in the pledge manager) that it was looking more like those plans were not going to pan out as hoped for.  This would have provided a lot more notice for backers that hey, there will be extra bills involved. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I agree with you, but it was not my decision to make.  I have been to the Netherlands a few times and it was very nice to visit, but still a little uncomfortable not knowing the language well. 

• Like 5