Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

My mind is more set on being a volunteer GM at the FLGS and have some "Encounter of the Week" type of one shot adventures.

You’re a real hero! Nobody can find a GM on demand.  That’s awesome of you!

• Like 4
  • Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something i drew many many many years ago   seems fitting

I totally agree with you in that those particular exaggerations are not very realistic in function. This was a challenging character/figure to create because I wanted her to read as feminine but als

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Anyone else mentally preparing for campaigns to use all these minis in?

Oh, I'm sure I'll have plenty of use for them in our ongoing one.

We're pretty sandbox right now so it'll be tough to prioritize what to paint first!

• Like 5

I plan to add them to the mountain of unpainted Bones I already have from the first three kickstarters and then just nest on them like a dragon. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

It's nice seeing what everyone is planning on doing with their minis!  One of the few silver linings of not being able to game in person is that I got to postpone starting the nautical 5e campaign I've been developing for awhile.  By the time I get to start it, I'll have tons of new pirates and sea-creatures for it!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Loim said:

I plan to add them to the mountain of unpainted Bones I already have from the first three kickstarters and then just nest on them like a dragon. 

This sounds familiar. 

Though I have painted more between the arrival of Bones 4 and now than I did between the arrival of Bones 1 and Bones 4.  

• Like 7

And the latest news is... nothing has changed. Still waiting on the last containers, doing set-up at the factory to ensure smooth fulfillment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
On 5/5/2021 at 12:13 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

If I used only what's coming in my box in a campaign.... Yeah, that's going to be a short campaign, lol

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 2:13 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

Yes.  I want to do something nautical, and started reading up on the Portugese in the 15th century for inspiration last year.  But, we’ll see...the other campaign warring for my theoretical attention is something more tradional, using original D&D and vintage miniatures.

• Like 9
On 5/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, Loim said:

Yep, that’s the state of affairs here too. Sometimes I feel like I’m never gonna paint again.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Speaking of dragons, this is the first dragon(s) I've ordered.  I'm not quite sure how to tackle these daunting winged beasts, but is there a different strategy you need for these larger models?   

Put them together, base them, then fill in gaps, then prime?

Is there anything you do to pick a color for your dragons?  

Any videos you recommend? 

I do have an airbrush, which I'm sure will help with this much plastic to cover. 

Where's that last container already? 

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, R2ED said:

I tend to go in different Oder based on the model. On some the wings or tail would get in the way of the paint job, so I would attach those after doing the main part of the paint job. On my copy of Rathuros, for example, I’m leaving the wings off until I have finished the rest. Once the rest is done I’ll paint the wings, attach them, gap fill, and paint over that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, R2ED said:

Speaking of dragons, this is the first dragon(s) I've ordered.  I'm not quite sure how to tackle these daunting winged beasts, but is there a different strategy you need for these larger models?   

I do have an airbrush, which I'm sure will help with this much plastic to cover. 

Put them together.  I don't base or fill gaps.  I mean to learn to GS the gaps, but time/inclination/focus are lacking.  Prime.  If there are a number of areas that appear to be tough to reach, I might partially assemble the beastie.

Well, there are lots of choices.  Trust your muse.  Sometimes you might find something in established RPGs (if that's your thing), that make you think of a particular dragon, and you can follow that.  It's a free-for-all otherwise.

That's not my bag.  

Getting a brush (air or "conventional") that is suitable to the job is important.  You don't want to be using a detail brush to do non-detail work on a large model.  I mean, I've done it, but it's a lot easier if you have an appropriately sized brush.

I'm guessing "on the boat."  But I couldn't say for certain.  ::D:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, R2ED said:

my strategy is to put them together, minus wings and base. 

I fill the gaps

Then i paint. I paint the wings and base loose, and add them after i get the main body base coated, and fill those gaps in after. Sometimes the wings can block tricky areas to paint

as for colors, whoo i do so much with colors on my dragons that people dont' normally do. i even teach a class about it at reapercons. But for me, i tend to ignore traditional dragon colors and pain my dragons whatever the heck i want them to be. I'm a big fan of colorful and odd color combos, like blue and copper, or white and gold, or purpley-red and green

• Like 9