Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

On 7/16/2021 at 11:35 AM, Cyradis said:

I hope these turn out well and that they go to retail. Bust painting is intimidating to get into, especially because the larger display figures tend to be quite pricey. Bones busts could be a great niche for starter busts to help people decide if they like the style of painting. 

23 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Same.  Far too many busts start around the 40 Euro mark, which makes a lot of people nope right out of that.

I agree with both of the above. I got the busts for 2 reasons:

1) To show an interest and hopefully convince Reaper to make more.

2) They're inexpensive enough that if I paint one or two, decide it's not really my thing, and never do another one, it wasn't a very costly experiment.

I would have preferred a little variety in what was offered, though. Three elves isn't really super exciting. An elf, a dwarf, and an orc would've been better, IMO.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Marvin said:

Those WizKid bases are barely even bases st all. 👀

If you don't want them, I'll gladly take them.

16 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

2) They're inexpensive enough that if I paint one or two, decide it's not really my thing, and never do another one, it wasn't a very costly experiment.

I would have preferred a little variety in what was offered, though. Three elves isn't really super exciting. An elf, a dwarf, and an orc would've been better, IMO.

I think this is the main reason why I didn't get those. I've seen one already at RCON, had it in my hand & even back then I was eh oh on it. I've seen & bought a few busts, those just didn't capture my interest at all. I agree with the better variety thou, I think that would have helped more sales on those. Heck even a helmeted warrior would have been a better choice. 

If Reaper doesn't do more busts in the future, I've got a couple 3d printers & almost all the 3d retailers offer busts, some are pretty reasonable too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hey, it wasn't three elves. It was an elf, a larger maiden, and a smaller maiden.

But yeah, more variety would have been good. Perhaps next time? "Male adventurer busts" and "female adventurer" busts perhaps? Get a human/elf of each, a dwarf, and perhaps a half-orc or goblin?

The simple design is overall good for them too. Some busts get pretty complicated or intricate, and these are quite basic. That said, after painting the resin version of the smaller maiden bust, I do think Julie Gunthrie is better at dragons than humans. Some of the features on that bust were scaled for smaller figures but then on a larger one could have become smaller because there is space for the detailing (like eyelids and fingernails). There is just a little "off" about the humanness of it (part of why I painted her half-dead tbh). I don't know if any of the boutique sculptors would want to sculpt for Reaper in the future, but if so they may be able to get a really great simple piece out that feels a bit smoother.

• Like 6
32 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

19 minutes ago, haldir said:

If you don't want them, I'll gladly take them.

I think this is the main reason why I didn't get those. I've seen one already at RCON, had it in my hand & even back then I was eh oh on it. I've seen & bought a few busts, those just didn't capture my interest at all. I agree with the better variety thou, I think that would have helped more sales on those. Heck even a helmeted warrior would have been a better choice. 

If Reaper doesn't do more busts in the future, I've got a couple 3d printers & almost all the 3d retailers offer busts, some are pretty reasonable too.

Two great patreons for busts come to mind: Loot studios (okay, a subscription not a patreon, but all there stuff is awesome) and Clay Cyanide. White werefolf tavern has had some good ones.

• Like 2

Good info for others to have, but I don't do Patreons, and I don't currently have a 3-d printer. 

16 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

But yeah, more variety would have been good. Perhaps next time? "Male adventurer busts" and "female adventurer" busts perhaps? Get a human/elf of each, a dwarf, and perhaps a half-orc or goblin?

I just hope that they were successful enough to warrant a 'next time'. 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good info for others to have, but I don't do Patreons, and I don't currently have a 3-d printer. 

Same. They'd be great for club paint challenges too. We've been looking for some that would be nice cheap larger figures for limited palette challenges (like monochrome, or RYB BW). The 3D printers are sortof competition for the niche, but still, these busts could be a much better price point for folks without their own 3D printer. My Vesha (beer girl) bust from Bold was a 3D print; there was a cost for the file, but then ~$30 to hire a printer for their time, materials, and equipment. Less than the cast model cost, but still more than many folks would want to put in for a "I don't know if I'll like this" project. Guessing the Reaper busts would retail for.... $7 for the small maiden, $10-15 for the larger ones?

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Jeronimus said:

The less stuff comes on sprues, or with stuff to cut away, the better! I was just preparing a figure and as I snipped the head, it jumped away from me, presumably into the void, never to be seen again.

... Bring on the Bones instead.

6 hours ago, Skallabjorn said:

Sprue cleaning and disposal are a pain in the rear, but there are very good reasons for having sprued figures.

The biggest reason I prefer them on sprues?  The massive gouges I have to clean up in some of the models I got is not something I'm impressed about.  At least one of my dragon busts had a decently sized gouge in it from being roughly broken off - I thought they had spoken with the factory about this way back after the massive gouges in the rock troll a while back? 

It's rather annoying that I'm going to have to resculpt a small portion of the base so the gouge isn't obvious after painting.. 

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Lack of variety is what got me to not get them in the end (well, that and tight funds), and elves tend to be something I'm not all that fond of. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

same.

well, we DO have a 3D printer, but one that is good for terrain only, as it doesn't do super fine detail and isn't anywhere near the quality required for a miniature

but i don't do patreons anyway so eh

i'd have liked the bust mores if they were more...interesting. three humans isn't that interesting for me. I loved the dragon bust, but i already have 2 resin ones so i didn't really need a bones one. but i'd love to see more monstery busts

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The biggest reason I prefer them on sprues?  The massive gouges I have to clean up in some of the models I got is not something I'm impressed about.  At least one of my dragon busts had a decently sized gouge in it from being roughly broken off - I thought they had spoken with the factory about this way back after the massive gouges in the rock troll a while back? 

It's rather annoying that I'm going to have to resculpt a small portion of the base so the gouge isn't obvious after painting.. 

Yah give me all of them not assembled. I highly doubt the common worker knows that to get the most precise cut you use flush cutters & I'm picky on which ones I use anyways.

At least I fiddled with the newer sculpt Chimera in Bones, that I got the wing piece to pop out of the socket.

16 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

They did also have the dragon bust, another ReaperCon resin gone Bones. Curious how that one did in the KS overall too.

Funny you mention that one, mine is still in the box I stuck it in for the trip home. I really like that one. IIRC that was originally a head for not-Tiamat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is a good dragon bust. I am quite curious to compare the cast quality of the resin one and the Bones one. Can't really compare my maiden since she's 1) painted, and 2) I stripped the first quarter-try of paint on her. Tbh the resin cast on her was pretty terrible.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The biggest reason I prefer them on sprues?  The massive gouges I have to clean up in some of the models I got is not something I'm impressed about.

For what it's worth, I do agree with you there. Just a little joke because my mini's head went flying into the room and despite searching for the better part of the day and turning the room upside down, it is nowhere to be found. But maybe that's what I get for daring to work on my backlog instead of waiting patiently for the new pile of plastic...

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Jeronimus said:

For what it's worth, I do agree with you there. Just a little joke because my mini's head went flying into the room and despite searching for the better part of the day and turning the room upside down, it is nowhere to be found. But maybe that's what I get for daring to work on my backlog instead of waiting patiently for the new pile of plastic...

I hear you on the ravenous carpet monster.  It's eaten a few parts I've been working on in the past.  But yeah, those gouges were pretty bad.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I hear you on the ravenous carpet monster.  It's eaten a few parts I've been working on in the past.  But yeah, those gouges were pretty bad.

Not even carpeted! There is literally nowhere it could have gone. The floor is perfectly smooth! I feel like I'm losing my mind.

As for the busts, seeing them now, the dragon is the only one I feel the slightest twinge of remorse about not getting. The flipside of that is immediately realising that I'm already going to be getting more than I know what to do with.

• Like 4