Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

On this agenda Reaper cant win.  about the only hope they have is offering an assembly service for a signficant charge and putting the people who want assembled at the end.  Even then, someone would complain...

I like what I have seen so far from my box but (and I know this discussion has been going on between the 'they are too big' and the 'why arent they bigger' groups) I was really hoping that the bones dragons would be the same size as the initial test prints we saw in reapercon 2019.  I know they wouldnt be as useful, but they would be so much more impressive!  I have many dragons of the huge size.  i have very very few gargantuan dragons  was definitely hoping they were going to be Marthrangul size and bigger.  

They are fine dragons and i am completely happy with them but i hope in the next kickstarter we see some truly awe inspiring pieces.

anyway, enough said.  the pieces all came out great!

Oh they are smaller? I didn't know that 

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I would prefer that Reaper went to "NO PREASSEMBLY" with ALL of the Bones line. It is much easier for me to correct gapping issues before assembly than after. Sure, it adds time to the process, but I finish with a mini I am completely happy with rather than "eh, that'll do, I guess". In the previous 4 Kickstarters, there were LOTS of issues with preassembly, the most egregious one, IIRC, was the Baba Yaga's Hut.

:Soapbox Time:

Besides, these are models!. Models should be assembled by a builder, preferably the owner of the model. Model building is as much a part of the hobby as painting, basing, scratch building, kit bashing, and conversion. I have done all of the above, and I most enjoy the building process. Painting is probably my least favorite part, but a big part of that is vision issues. I generally just go "Tabletop Quality, 3 colors plus black, wash for shadows, and MAYBE some drybrushed highlights". As I said, for me, painting is the chore that comes between assembly and play.Others may feel differently, and that is fine. My minis are mine, and yours are yours.

:Soapbox Done:

In closing, I honestly think it is good that there are so many VERY different ways to approach the hobby. The newest way I am trying is baked polymer clay sculpts added to existing minis. Kind of fun, just playing with base inserts and such at the moment but I may get into bit sculpting too eventually.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ah, the UPS shenanigans have begun.

First I got a pair of updates saying it shipped. Twenty minutes later, a pair of updates saying it will be delayed by one day. [Not really surprised, the handover to Canada Post will take extra time]

Two hours later I simultaneously get 10 updates :blink: saying pretty much nothing and mostly repeating itself.

At least it cleared customs. (Or did it?!)

• Confused 6
1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Ah, the UPS shenanigans have begun.

First I got a pair of updates saying it shipped. Twenty minutes later, a pair of updates saying it will be delayed by one day. [Not really surprised, the handover to Canada Post will take extra time]

Two hours later I simultaneously get 10 updates :blink: saying pretty much nothing and mostly repeating itself.

At least it cleared customs. (Or did it?!)

I got an updated email modifying the estimated delivery from Friday to Monday too - not surprised. But so help me if this thing gets delayed to Wednesday. Don't make me miss my massage and work-lunch. MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY.

• Like 1

Alright!  All minis received and unboxed.  Order arrived in pretty normal sized boxes, no pallet needed.  They did have the value of the package declared on the outside so my mouth is officially shut for any hobby purchases my wife makes for the foreseeable future.

Pretty highly satisfied all around and ready to get working this weekend. Lots of 'oh this is smaller than I expected' (looking at you yetis) and lots of this 'this is bigger than expected' (Bigby's assorted hands are pleasantly CHUNKY).  Lots of bending but didn't see any obvious breakage.  Sincerely debating buying Dark Depths a second time as that box was a particular stand out.

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I like what I have seen so far from my box but (and I know this discussion has been going on between the 'they are too big' and the 'why arent they bigger' groups) I was really hoping that the bones dragons would be the same size as the initial test prints we saw in reapercon 2019.  I know they wouldnt be as useful, but they would be so much more impressive!  I have many dragons of the huge size.  i have very very few gargantuan dragons  was definitely hoping they were going to be Marthrangul size and bigger.  

They are fine dragons and i am completely happy with them but i hope in the next kickstarter we see some truly awe inspiring pieces.

+1 to all of this.  The dragons all look great and I'm very glad I got every single one but in general they are a bit more...in line with what I already have than I was hoping.  Bring on a truly massive great wyrm to rival Wizkid's Arveiaturace.  Give us a Kalladrax but intentionally too big.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Cintra said:

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. I like fully assembled minis, I'm fine with Reaper having "assembly required" pieces if that's what makes sense for the sculpt, but I also am much less likely to ever get around to painting minis that would have hard-to-reach spots if they're pre-glued. (If I can go ahead and glue them before doing any painting, that's fine.)

I see two downsides to assembly-required on smaller figures. (1) it takes a LOT longer to inventory the contents and confirm if I have the correct bits (is that a hand or a bit of scrap?); and (2) if the connecting pieces are too small, they are occasionally hard for me to glue (those tiny hands...).

Although I did care enough about assembled-or-not to enter that info in a spreadsheet as I checked it all in. And having gotten almost everything (I skipped the busts, dragonslayers, Navatharr, and the fire giant hellbringer); by my count, I've got 475 distinct minis that are fully assembled (480 if you count the Brinewind Extras crates as separate pieces), versus 197 that need assembly (and one mini that's missing but I am guessing from the art will need assembly).

lol I did the same

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Got my Wave 3 shipping notices today (3 grey ships, items in the last container). 

I also won a water-damaged Bones 5 Core Set on Reaper Live tonight. It’s been a pretty good day for once. 

Figures, the one night I miss a show (in my defense I was sick and sleeping all day haha), and they give away damaged boxes.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

I just don't have time to sit at the shows for a slim miniscule chance of winning something 

It is unfortunate that only the fans (or just people) who watch the show have a shot at winning.  It would be nice if they'd open up some of the giveaways to other fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

On this agenda Reaper cant win.  about the only hope they have is offering an assembly service for a signficant charge and putting the people who want assembled at the end.  Even then, someone would complain...

Wait...  You mean they've been shrunk...  They better not have done such to Nathavarr....  Whole reason I purchased them was specifically for additional copies of the dragon from DDS2, and that's how it was advertised... 

DDS2 hasn't gone permanently out-of-print, has it? Really gonna regret selling mine if I can't get it back when I'm finally ready to paint it like I planned. 😕

• Like 1

So how big are the dragons, then? Both in actual size and in D&D terms - adult dragons, I assumed? 

Although, as far as picking the correct base size goes, I think I'll just continue being very flexible with those. Reaper's Bugbears and Orcs certainly do not fit on a medium base, and even a few of their regular humans have a wide stance that makes 25mm bases feel like a tight fit.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Jeronimus said:

So how big are the dragons, then? Both in actual size and in D&D terms - adult dragons, I assumed? 

Although, as far as picking the correct base size goes, I think I'll just continue being very flexible with those. Reaper's Bugbears and Orcs certainly do not fit on a medium base, and even a few of their regular humans have a wide stance that makes 25mm bases feel like a tight fit.

i'd like to know too

how do they measure up against the picture of them from the KS with sir forescale, are they at least to scale with what we were shown?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

DDS2 hasn't gone permanently out-of-print, has it? Really gonna regret selling mine if I can't get it back when I'm finally ready to paint it like I planned. 😕

It is my understanding that, yes, DDS2 is out of print, with no plans to make more. I’ve wanted one for over a year, and there are none to be found. 

22 minutes ago, Jeronimus said:

The dragons are on 3” bases, but spill over so much they could easily be based on a 4” base and not look wrong. That is, indeed what I plan to do with mine. They are D&D Huge or Gargantuan, depending on your basing preference. 

• Like 3