Reaper Bones 5: Enthusiasm and Commentary thread

ladystorm

4 hours ago, Cintra said:

I agree, my Meriwyn shrine also has an arm stub, and from the art, I think that's how it's intended to be.

image.png.691bae7b4214edecc5e910ad5f8f7be6.png

Ah, okay. That's a shame. I'd rather like an arm on her, and the stub looked like a broken end. I guess I'll try green stuffing if I get to it.

Hey Kristoff, if you and your druid get tired of the thorns, lemme know ;) 25 is insane, lol

• Like 1

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I fiddled with the ship this morning when I got home from work, after removing the cardboard that could have been used to build a small dwelling......:blink:. I figured with trash day, I'd get it out to recycling. I kinda wish I would have gotten the other figureheads now, hmmmm oh well live & learn on those.

Most of my ship was bent-free but a couple platforms are a bit awkward. I don't know if they are worth the trouble of heating & cooling to re-shape. Overall, I'm glad I got it. Both & the Falling Star will look great on the table someday. Definitely would have been overkill to get both it & the GitD version.

BTW, love the bottom half of the box, the water grid battle map packaging was a nice touch.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Hey Kristoff, if you and your druid get tired of the thorns, lemme know ;) 25 is insane, lol

I know the druid didn't need that many, but I also had an idea that required enough to go all the way across the shorter dimension of my 4'x6' game table.  Unfortunately, I no longer remember the specific idea. 

Trying to decide how I'm going to assemble & paint them.   One idea is to assemble first, prime black, then zenithal highlight before painting green.   The other idea is to group the parts into thirds, then prime one group gray, one group black and one group white, before airbrushing them all with the same shade of green, then assembling and finishing up. 

• Like 2

My process was as follows:

1) Trim small vine that touches the ground on the double vine. Mine was too long and didn’t allow to stand up straight.

2) prime all pieces brown.

3) dry brush base lighter brown, set aside

4) spray vines dark green, 90%coverage

5) spray vines a lighter green from the top.

6) paint thorns with an ivory 

7) Spot wash thorns with a brown

8: add brown and green washes to vines here or there.

overall pretty quick and I like the results. The thorns took the longest.

good luck!

AD8FC4E2-8BC9-4602-9965-301DC79E71A3.jpeg

38C23B29-A515-44FF-A878-0B7D67167A3B.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

If I had that many I'd definitely be going with an airbrush for the bulk of the work, then some washes.

Ildraedis the dragon... excellent great. Fit pieces together splendid. But what the heck with the base? The Dark Depths FISH have more interesting bases. He has a BLOB. It is functional, but wow, does that need spicing up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Ildraedis the dragon... excellent great. Fit pieces together splendid. But what the heck with the base? The Dark Depths FISH have more interesting bases. He has a BLOB. It is functional, but wow, does that need spicing up.

Without having the piece in hands yet, I'm going to assume it was meant to be snow, but that might've come out as an undefined mass.

• Like 2

Just now, Jeronimus said:

Without having the piece in hands yet, I'm going to assume it was meant to be snow, but that might've come out as an undefined mass.

Yeah, he is the white dragon. So presumably snow. But it seems like a disservice to an otherwise amazing dragon. Won't be too bad to spruce up the snow with some blood stains and corpses and treasure... but it was a lazy assumption after the dragon itself is bangin'.

So is Valfuryx. Just checked him; looks great, fits together fairly well. Impressed by it.

• Like 1

I'm going to be painting my dragons in my usual way, aka any random color that catches my fancy

Most of the dragons for together well. The 'red' one required some serious forcing on his right hind leg to get it in the socket. My 'black' one does not want to sit nicely on his tower. If I get the hand glued down the tail pops out and vice versa

Cyclops has big gaps I need to fill, giant spider's bottom of abdomen doesn't want to stay glued in

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3

UPS!!!!!

(early, but again, around 5 - 6, as usual)

oooo a audio notification from the driver, saying it's "UPS". That's a first.

Well, upon visual inspection,  I flip the box over to carry it inside & I'm greeted by this:

16274269552633981042845985384136.jpg

<_<:angry:::(:

I heard the sound of plastic jingling, like hard bases, so hopefully everything is still in there as I can put my fist through the hole. Cheap Chinese cardboard.....

• Sad 7

I have fulfilled a dream of sinking a sailboat. I'm washing the main parts and masts in the bathtub and heating them to unwarp a little bit. Not a lot of warp - just a smidge. But now the water is too hot to manipulate the top deck into place. Whoops.

• Haha 1

I think the only warping I noticed on my ship was one side of that rear balcony or whatever (is there a nice seasalty term for balconies on a boat?) and maybe one side of the quarterdeck stairs a little. Hoping it's all an easy fix.

The plastic is stiff out of box, but a scalding bathtub got it pretty malleable. I just used tongs to pull it out of tub, align the tracks to dewarp and fit it. I have some ponytail holders pulling the front up, where the figurehead would go, so it lined up and didn't sag under the top part. hoping it'll be okay without a quench, because I'm not sure I can move it without unaligning it into a cold tub.

Currently has some shampoo bottles on it to weigh it into the tracks

• Like 2