Sign in to follow this  
lazarp

77068: Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard

I liked painting this figure, did it for a friend from my d&d party. He's using it as his half-elf druid. We are both happy with it overall ::D:

Hope you like it too! :winkthumbs:

IMG_20191217_232547.thumb.jpg.7f009b8065bef9e709336aa9ef5542fa.jpgIMG_20191217_232544.thumb.jpg.039fbc4d5a6bba4db2183441aa3f9582.jpgIMG_20191217_232540.thumb.jpg.49cdbffdeb15377bacdb9f1cf6accd87.jpgIMG_20191217_232537.thumb.jpg.d1ca4b5e130594d94ca5f368cb86892a.jpg

I also tried fiddling with lighting and a background for the first time so if you have any tips on what I could have done better with the photos please share :)

Thanks for looking!

• Like 19

49 minutes ago, lazarp said:

I also tried fiddling with lighting and a background for the first time so if you have any tips on what I could have done better with the photos please share :)

Thanks for looking!

The white background is making your camera think that there's more light than there really is, so it's underexposing. You can mostly fix this in post, dial in about a +1.5 exposure compensation, or use a manual mode to shoot. (Adding or subtracting light while using an automatic exposure mode won't change the overall exposure, though less light can give you more digital noise.)

I'd also recommend cropping out most of the background, leaving only the miniature and a reasonable border for the photo.

Example (let me know if you would prefer that I delete this edit):

lazarp-1.jpg.03ee6fd7408dcdbf4a736d25fa12964b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The white background is making your camera think that there's more light than there really is, so it's underexposing. You can mostly fix this in post, dial in about a +1.5 exposure compensation, or use a manual mode to shoot. (Adding or subtracting light while using an automatic exposure mode won't change the overall exposure, though less light can give you more digital noise.)

I'd also recommend cropping out most of the background, leaving only the miniature and a reasonable border for the photo.

Thanks a lot for the tip! I get what you mean, I will try it our for the next mini! Much appreciated, thanks again! :)

5 hours ago, wdmartin said:

For a better photography backdrop try one of these. I had mine printed out on vinyl and it's lasted for years.

Thank you! I will definitely print some of these and try them for the next mini!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lazarp said:

Thanks a lot for the tip! I get what you mean, I will try it our for the next mini! Much appreciated, thanks again! :)

Happy to help.

Thank you! I will definitely print some of these and try them for the next mini!

If you use one of the warm or cool backgrounds from that site, be careful about the color temperature your camera is set to.

Much like exposure, cameras in automatic modes are designed to figure out and correct for the color of the light. So a warm (orange-tinted) background can convince the camera that you're shooting under incandescent light and the camera can "correct" for that by shifting the entire image orange blue (or vice versa, of course). Again, this can be corrected in post or in camera by setting your white balance to match the color temp of your lights.

It's not a difficult problem to fix, but it's something you want to think about when shooting or in post processing.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
Correct error on direction of color correction.
  • Thanks 1