Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Legal Statement:

This game is being played using 3.5 edition of D&D, including the Paleyr's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. All are copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

 

The module and gaming world being used is designed and created Grant Geisler (me) copyright 2003.

 

A month ago you traveled north to the borderlands of Iron March with the promises of riches to be had. You remember the stories of gold flowing down the rivers and free land opening up. The rumours, however, proved to be false. All your money was spent just getting to the Iron March. Living hand to mouth you have walked from village to village sometimes begging, working as a hired hand when you could. There have been no caravans to guard, no eminent enemies to battle, not even any wild animals to stop.

But as you moved northwest along the Marches you found a poster nailed to a tree offering a silver piece for each orc scalp brought to the Bailiff of the County Keep. From directions you were able to gather from the local farming manor (the farmers in these parts live in fortified communal structures), the keep is over a week’s walk away and you have barely a days worth of food.

None of you have ever been in Orc country before let alone orc hunting but you could do worse, after all they are only evil savages. You might even find work at the keep. There are undoubtedly caravans that need guarding and more rumours of ancient treasures locked away in strange mounds.

 

At the moment your group is traveling along a dirt road through woods and have just come across a sign offering silver for orc scalps. A day or so behind you is a small fortified farming hamlet. You have been told about a day away or so is another farming hamlet. The keep is supposed to be a week away following this road northeastish...

 

(the party knows each other but not their back stories...feel free to tell people about yourselves via role playing your characters...otherwise you are all novices seeking adventure and money...and maybe to do the right thing too for you good aligned people)

 

Note: introduce your characters and decide what you are going to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Near the front of the group walks a thin figure. A dark grey cloak is drawn lightly around him, the hood resting upon his shoulders rather than on his head. His long silver hair is blown slightly by the wind. He turns to the rest of the party, and his deep green eyes are narrowed slightly. The eyes show a skill for looking where others may pass by, and an inner knowledge uncommon to a rogue like himself. Long pointed ears poke up from his silky hair, easily giving away his elven heritage. He is wearing dark leather armor, marked every now and then by small silver studs. A rapier rests easily in its scabbard upon his hip, and if one looks hard enough, they can make out a dagger tucked into one boot. The party knows this man's name to be Telenar Moonshadow.

 

"Well then friends, it looks as if we have come to find ourselves facing a decision. We have far yet to travel if we wish to make the Keep. I recall being told that there is a small hamlet a day or so in front of us...might we try there? We would do well to restock on provisions. Though we may need more money of which to spend there, and this bounty for Orcs is rather tempting. Though the pay is not much for this, we should be able to find suitable occupations once we reach our destination."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Near the center of the group, a pretty young human woman with long red-gold hair, With samll beads beads and braids woven into it in places. Her robes are a worn dark green and an equally dark green cloak hangs on her slim shoulders. A dagger rest in it's sheath at her side and a black raven sits on her shoulder. This is Mialie, a young sorceress just learning the ways of her powers. She cocks her head to one side, her green eyes thoughtful. "Well, we can try. But with our limited funds I don't know what we can accomplish there. Unless we can trade service for food."

 

"Well, trying never hurts." replies Aleria a half elf standing near Telenar. Her unruly brown hair hangs loose about her shoulders, while her slightly pointed ears, that betray her elven blood, peak out from beneath it. Her dark brown eyes look at each party member before going back to scanning the area around them, keeping watch while they discuss thier next move. She also wears leather armor, though it is plain in marking. A scimitar hangs at her side in a well worn sheath. Sitting next to her is a black wolf-dog cross she calls Shadow. "After all our luck has to change eventually."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the rear not far behind the group are Rurik and Lance Helsteed. Everyone believes the two bicker about fighting forms and techniques the entire way here just to make the days seem less harsh. Rurik is about 4ft tall which is average for a Dwarf. He has Black hair and eyes; His studded Leather armor is covered in dust, as is his large wooden shield on his left arm. He is carrying a Dwarven Waraxe, which everyone swears that he sleeps with because they’ve rarely seen him put it down, if only for a meal. Everyone knows he had a most difficult time selling off his other weapons just to make it this far.

His backpack and gear have seen better days and it’s a wonder that they still hold together.

 

Lance is roughly 6ft tall, has Chestnut Brown eyes and hair. The latter is curly and perhaps has never seen a comb. The early signs of a facial hair can be seen in his youthful face. He is wearing scale mail armor, has a dagger strapped to his left leg, a longsword on his left hip and a large wooden shield on his left arm.

 

As the two approach everyone they ask if they are taking a break. After being informed of the posted notice it seem a bit clearer why these hamlets are fortified.

 

Rurik suggests that they perhaps should look for orcs in this area and bring the scalps to the next hamlet. It may improve our chances of being well received, if not we could perhaps sells the scalps for food and supplies.

 

Lance looks down at Rurik and says, “You, want to go hunting for orcs, oh what a surprise.”

 

“Never less I must agree, are options are limited. I know if I were an orc (at this point Rurik thinks “there’s not much difference” this would be a good spot to setup an ambush with the posting and being so close to the next hamlet.

 

With that lance draws his sword and looks around to see if he spots anything.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Aye Aleria, but for better or for worse?"

 

Tenelar pauses in thought, and unconsiously shifts the scabbard slighty upon his hip.

 

"Id say we reduce the local Orc population by a bit, and, as Rurik suggested, gain a little bit of favor from the locals. A little help can be a big thing in these out of the way hamlets. We should most likely not stray to far into the wlds, for if we get lost without any provisions, we aren't going to be seeing any forms of good luck in our future."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Who's to say. I suppose we can see what we can find. Shadow can help with the tracking and Meir can fly over head." and she looks over at Mialie's crow. "And if even if we don't find any orcs, we may scare up some food. And being summer I can keep an eye our for some eatible plants and such. Especially any berries. Got a spell for the that will make them more filling for us and keep us going."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'm with Rurik and Lance." Pipes up one of the other humans as he moves to see the poster. "If these foul orks have been causing enough trouble to warrant a bounty on their heads and fortificiations around the hamlets and villiages, we should see about culling a few. Afterall, it is only just that the orks suffer for inflicting so much upon the local peoples. The Invincible would seem to smile upon such an endeavour." Samuel's eyes are bright but something strange is clouding them, and from your past experiences with the young cleric you recognise the clouding as righteous indignation.

 

"Speaking for myself, I have no preference beyond a general wish to see the world and test myself, but I shall go along with the group's decision." The 'strong silent type' in the loose fitting clothes, a strange and almost enigmatic man who calls himself Keb, says as he too reads the notice. "I suppose you could say that I am easy."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Who's to say. I suppose we can see what we can find. Shadow can help with the tracking and Meir can fly over head." and she looks over at Mialie's crow. "And if even if we don't find any orcs, we may scare up some food. And being summer I can keep an eye our for some eatible plants and such.  Especially any berries. Got a spell for the that will make them more filling for us and keep us going."

LT

 

Lance: I could perhaps, baring any orc interference hunt some game to get us by for a night or two. Hopefully this forest has more to offer, Looking back... than from the way we came.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rurik: " And how many times have you gone hunting, to be out-smarted by a rabbit to come back empty handed. Just a well your bound to get lucky sometime."

 

So anyone want to look for tracks or pick a direction or should we just stand around and hope the orc find us.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MIALIE: "Perhaps we should just continue on the road, our supplies are very low, I for one am out of rations. We need to make haste for the next town. I can send Meir aloft and he can look for orcs from above and if he spots any he can let us know. Then we can decide on a course of action. Better to be prepared by knowing numbers than to be out numbered ourselves. And if the numbers are greater than we can take on, the information might be of use to the militia of the next village. After all information can be worth something too."

 

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I think that might be a good idea." Responds Samuel as he fingers the hilt of his sword. "I am sure the Invincible will deliver us some scalps, so that we may do his work further in this land. But blind trust in one's god is often not enough, and prparedness is, afterall, next to godliness. Or is that cleanliness? No matter."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALERIA: "Well, then that's settled, I think. Let's keep walking and see what turns up." And with that she picks up her backpack and starts following the road towards the Keep.

 

Picking up her own backpack, Mialie sends her Raven skyward to scout from above for any orcs or trouble of any sort.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The group walks along the road all day and into the night before making camp and setting watchs. Nothing untoward happens and in the morning you set off again. By the afternoon you come across fields of wheat and know that you have arrived at another hamlet. It is a basic fortified farmhold. Several buildings fenced in together with a short wooden wall. There is but a single tower above the gate with a lookout. The gate is open as labourers come and go.

There are no guards at present and nobody seems to mind your group coming into the hamlet proper. There is even a small inn that is likely some farmers home. There are no signs of battle or danger. But your food is running short.

What does the group wish to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Forgive me for being so bold." Pipes up Keb as the group walks through the unguarded gate, "but perhaps we should see if they'd pay for some guards for a day or two? I only suggest this, as I have but a scant copper piece in my pocket, which I do not believe will be enough for food and lodgings." Keb seems to have a somewhat embarassed look on his face, as if making his observation has insulted someone in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"That's a good idea." says Aleria "maybe there is something we can do for some rations and lodging. Let's go check out the inn and see what we can discover there."

 

"I agree. I know I have nothing left in coins. And we will need some more provisions if we are to continue on to the keep. We could perhaps also check with the towns mayor, or who ever is the authority here." Suggests Mialie.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×