Sign in to follow this  
Felis Leo

Has anyone here used an Airbrush to Prime their Bones Miniatures?

Hello all, 

I'm Felis Leo from California and this is my first thread here.  I wanted to ask if anyone here has used an airbrush to prime their Bones miniatures, along with primers such as Vallejo and their thinners for getting the job done.  I understand that certain primers and additives do not work well with Reaper Bones, and I wanted to ask whether anyone has tried it before I ruined a batch of good Bones miniatures through some terrible misstep. 

I wanted to use Vallejo airbrush primer along with Vallejo airbrush thinner to do some "Zenithal" highlighting for priming my miniatures, in order to achieve that high-contrast look without having to rely overmuch on washes.  Has anyone here tried it before?  What were the results?  Is there anything I should take care to do or to avoid?

Edited by Felis Leo
  • Like 4

I airbrush prime bones all the time, but I’ve been mostly using Badger Stynlrez primer, thinned a little with Vallejo airbrush thinner.

I have the Vallejo primers too, but usually only use those on resin, plastic and metal.

I did prime some bones with Reaper paint right after I got the airbrush, and that worked well.  I thinned just a little with the Vallejo thinner then as well and did several light coats.

These are the ones, primed with Runic Purple I think:

913F2D48-2CA6-4D4A-A283-80F0F0A4E1EE.thumb.jpeg.5c7322b1d853b20659aa89db68a548cf.jpeg

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, rubegon said:

I airbrush prime bones all the time, but I’ve been mostly using Badger Stynlrez primer, thinned a little with Vallejo airbrush thinner.

I have the Vallejo primers too, but usually only use those on resin, plastic and metal.

I did prime some bones with Reaper paint right after I got the airbrush, and that worked well.  I thinned just a little with the Vallejo thinner then as well and did several light coats.

These are the ones, primed with Runic Purple I think:

913F2D48-2CA6-4D4A-A283-80F0F0A4E1EE.thumb.jpeg.5c7322b1d853b20659aa89db68a548cf.jpeg

Those looks fantastic!  Thank you, rubegon.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Felis Leo said:

Those looks fantastic!  Thank you, rubegon.

You’re welcome!

Now that I look at those again, The unpainted spots don’t look Bones white to me.  I might have actually primed them with a mix of the Vallejo black and white airbrush primers and then basecoated with the purple after.

I’m pretty sure either would work, as long as you don’t thin them too much.  Just make sure you wash the Bones really well in warm soapy water first.

• Like 6

The only problems I've seen with priming Bones minis have been when people either use rattle can primers (the solvents in those seem to interact badly with the plasticizer in many Bones figures) and or thin their paints significantly with water before applying them to the figure.

I mostly use Badger Stynylrez, which works great and is formulated specifically for airbrush use. But I've also used Reaper Liners (particularly Blue Liner and Brown Liner) and Liquitex Airbrush Medium, which works very well for translucents. I don't think I'd use something like the Tamiya alcohol (?) based acrylics, but the Vallejo stuff should work great.

I'll note that Bones, like the Wizkids figures, are PVC. And the Wizkids figures use Vallejo primer without problems. (Not well, because of mold line issues, but without problems.)

• Like 8

I have had very good results with my Paasche airbrush using both Vallejo and Reaper paints for priming. The key, as has already been stated, was to make sure the release agent was off the minis.

And welcome to the place!

• Like 3

I use a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush with Vallejo white or black primer on Bones, without issue. Sometimes I mix Reaper blue or brown liner with the white primer. Just wash the Bones and dry them thoroughly before priming.

Works great.

• Like 4

Americana, Folk Art, and Apple Barrel with an airless brush. :lol:

After that, though, I use a wash like Army Painter, or Secret Weapon. Brush-on colored primer for metal.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

As mentioned, the issues with primer are related to the solvents in spray cans, it's not to do with the general ingredients of primer. So note that you can have similar issues using spray sealers. 

Airbrushing primer should work fine. Though as acrylic paint adheres well to the Bones surface, I wouldn't bother airbrushing primer, I'd just use an acrylic paint in the colour I wanted. That could be your favourite primer colour (mine is grey), but you could also save some time and just airbrush the whole figure the colour you want the item with the largest surface area.

I think the reason the acrylic paint adheres well directly to Bones is that plastic sticks to plastic. The binder of acrylic paint started out development as a glue. Mixing it into a paint came later. People use matte medium or acrylic paints as a glue in crafts all the time. (I have this info from reps from the major art acrylic paint lines Golden and Liquitex.) Resin and metal are very slick surfaces, so those require a primer that 'etches' into the surface to create some tooth for the acrylic paint to adhere to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

If you prime with an airbrush you're fine. Some primers in rattlecans cause major problems to Reaper Bones minis. They become tacky and never fully cure. It is perfectly okay to not prime--but you can prime if you want.

• Like 1

Just going to you post a "same"here for using the badger stynelrez shot through a cheap airbrush.  Again I fully realized you don't have to use a primer but it gives me a consistent starting layer for when I'm painting.  I don't always, sometimes I do use liner, either brushed or sprayed it depends on my mood some days

Just throwing in a "me too" for the Badger Stynelrez.  Use an old .5mm ($20 amazon special...i.e. "junk" airbrush) and it goes on with zero issues.  Smaller nozzles or long sessions will experience clogs but that's true of everything.   

The Miniature  Monthly classes are based on using this primer too.  

Using light coats it dries almost instantly.  I still try to give it 24 hours to fully cure, but I have painted over it as little as 5 minutes.

Will use up the rattle cans on other minis & never go back for more.  Total Stynelrez fan here (now if I could only pronounce it).