A question about Goblins....

So,

In our 'modern' world everything is classified by species, genus, etc, and has a name...

@Glitterwolf, @Chaoswolf, and their ilk are Canis Lupus, Humans are Homo Sapiens, etc

What would the "Scientific" name for Goblins be???

Besides worthless Drow Slaves and Crossbow fodder...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I liked about the Shadowrun setting was they dealt with this exact question...a little.  Dwarves, Elves, Orks, and Trolls were all sub-races of humans, so the scientific names assigned were:

Dwarf - Homo Sapiens Pumilions

Elf - Homo Sapiens Nobilis

Ork - Homo Sapiens Robustus

Troll - Homo Sapiens Ingentis

There was no goblin in Shadowrun, so this does not answer the origin question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Since goblins were originally considered a form of fay, their family would probably be “fairy”, their genus “monstrous”, and their species “goblin”. However you want to translate that into Latin.

Goblin - Fata, Monstrosus

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 5

Near as I can tell, "kobalus" is correct, being the root word for "kobold" and "coblynau." It isn't necessarily the ONLY word, though. "Gobelin" has French roots, for which "kobalus" might well be the origin.

That being said, "goblin" originally meant "ugly fairy," with connotations of mischief, evil, babysnatching, livestock abuse, and various other unpleasant acts. Eventually, folklore wise, they split off into their own tribe until Tolkien finally houseruled them into "orcs, but smaller, usually subterranean."

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

How to say goblin in Latin

Latin Translation
copy-icon-grey-30x30.pngpronounce-icon-grey-30x30.png

Cobalus

I wonder if this is a cognate of "kobold".

11 hours ago, Clearman said:

There was no goblin in Shadowrun, so this does not answer the origin question.

Pedantic answer: A dwarf affected with MHMVV (Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus) is called a goblin.

My only problem with using "fata cobalus" for goblins is that I'm pretty sure medieval German myth considered kobolds to be fae as well and I believe this species name would be better used for them.  Even if kobolds would later have been classified as dragons by Linnaeus et al (so, draco cobalus), the species name would not be reused for goblins.

Greek yields "kallikantzaros" as a translation for "goblin" and Wikipedia has an article for this term.  So, may I suggest, fata kallikantzaros, at least as an initial species name?  If science determines goblins aren't fae after all, they'd be reassigned to a new genus.

• Like 5

Foetiviridon proluitus 

Genus name from the latin for smelly (foetidus) and green (viridi) which also includes certain species of fairy, sprite, and at least one of the lesser known garden gnomes. And species name from the latin for maniac (proluit), which specifically defines the goblin differentiating it from other green smelly things. 

Not a name used anywhere outside of my own weird little gaming universe. And definitely not in line with any existing taxonomic naming or classification standards.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

wow....

I was reading an old post last night as I needed a pick me up after a really horrible day at work, and kinda just threw this out there to find more humor, and you folks really stepped up!

Thanks

ps fuzzy, if that weird symbol is supposed to be some sort of audio , epic fail for me....

@Glitterwolf

12 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Near as I can tell, "kobalus" is correct, being the root word for "kobold" and "coblynau." It isn't necessarily the ONLY word, though. "Gobelin" has French roots, for which "kobalus" might well be the origin.

That being said, "goblin" originally meant "ugly fairy," with connotations of mischief, evil, babysnatching, livestock abuse, and various other unpleasant acts. Eventually, folklore wise, they split off into their own tribe until Tolkien finally houseruled them into "orcs, but smaller, usually subterranean."

this sounds like someone we know....

• Haha 8

By "livestock abuse," I meant "riding the family cow around the pasture all night so the poor thing was exhausted the next morning, terrorizing the horses, and souring the milk."

Get'cher minds out of the gutter. Barely enough room there for mine as it is.

• Haha 9