Sign in to follow this  
Carnacki the Ghost Finder

transporting paint internationally?

First of all,  a robust ho ho ho to you all.

So ... I spend a fair amount of time travelling from North America to New Zealand and have often wanted to bring some paints and miniatures with me.

But roughly 24 hours of travel in the belly of a plane sounds like a bad thing to do to all my Reaper paint.  Based on past experiences, it seems like weird things happen down there in the dark.  Stuff comes out ... different.   My favorite is that bags of coffee beans get conveniently vacuum freeze-dried.

So I figure I better not.  Am I being too cautious?  Any international travellers with positive experiences and tips?

Or should I just buy Vallejo and Army Painter paints from Mighty Ape instead?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I have flown with paint (as much as a Reaper caddy full) in my checked luggage from The East Coast of the US to Crete and Bahrain before.  I had no problems (I did check the caps were tight before I left).  I think on one occasion, one of the bottles got pressurized somehow, but it just blew some bubbles when I opened it.  So I say go for it.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I have flown with paint (as much as a Reaper caddy full) in my checked luggage from The East Coast of the US to Crete and Bahrain before.  I had no problems (I did check the caps were tight before I left).  I think on one occasion, one of the bottles got pressurized somehow, but it just blew some bubbles when I opened it.  So I say go for it.

Thank you Dilvish!  Sounds like I have some paint travelling adventures in my future.

• Like 2

I’ve flown from Houston to Norway with paints in winter without any problems.  The luggage compartment should be pressurized and heated as long as nothing goes wrong.  

Be careful if you are going from a lower elevation to a higher one.  And even if you aren’t, make sure that the caps are on tightly,

Ron

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paintybeard said:

I fly pretty regularly with paint too. I tape all the lids down and put them in a storage box that I also seal up. No casualties so far. 

16 hours ago, vutpakdi said:

I’ve flown from Houston to Norway with paints in winter without any problems.  The luggage compartment should be pressurized and heated as long as nothing goes wrong.  

Be careful if you are going from a lower elevation to a higher one.  And even if you aren’t, make sure that the caps are on tightly,

Ron

Thanks for the responses!  I will follow these directions.