What the...?

Tommy

:devil:

The U.S. has just been admitted to the International Cricketing Commission's list of Cricket Playing Countries? :blink:

(Yep, this IS official).

That means we're going to play cricket against each other!

I didn't know you even PLAY cricket in the 'States. :huh:

Tommy.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a rather large group of Cricket players gather to play at a park about 10 blocks from my apartment every weekend, and that's deep in the heart of Texas.

I've been doing my best to follow the Asia Cup, personally. I'm pulling for Sri Lanka. I'll also be closely following England and the Windies Test series when it begins tomorrow.

Hehe.. I live right across from a University and on nice days there is usually a gathering of lads (mostly or indian descent, or pakistani I'm not quite sure which but one gets offended if you call them the other) who play in the parking lot.

I'll stop and watch for a while, but I don't understand the language. Cool thing about the US is there are lots of transplanted cultures, I'm sure there are enough cricket fans for us to get a team together and make an embarassment of ourselfs in the world theater. ;)

I'd like to learn how to play, honestly.

'- I know that astrology isn't a science, said Gail. Of course it isn't. It's just an arbitrary set of rules like chess or tennis or what's that strange thing you British play?

- Er, cricket? Self-loathing?

- Parliamentary democracy. The rules just kind of got there. They don't make any sense except in terms of themselves...'

-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I watched cricket in England once, and it reminded me of a game that lil kids would come up with.

Kickball is basically simplified baseball. Cricket is simplified Kickball.

You have 2 'bases', a group of stakes. One team pitches the ball underhanded to the other team, bouncing the ball towards the batter, who swings the cricket bat somewhat like a golf club, trying to hit the ball, and prevent the opposing team from hitting the stakes behind you ( vertical wooden rods just behind the player ). Once that is hit, yer out, and the next player is up. Don't ask me how innings change.

If you hit the ball, and the opposing team doesn't catch it ( leading to an immeadiate out ), then you run back and forth between the stakes and the pitching area really really fast before the ball is retrieved. The number of loops completed then seems to affect the score in some bizzare and random fashion that makes tennis scoring look sensible and sane... :rock:

Of course, everytime you think you know a rule, it seemingly changes. Sometimes the bat is swung underhanded, sometimes like a baseball bat. Sometimes the pitched ball takes a bounce, or is thrown straight... ^_^

I take it back, Crickett is Calvin Ball... :lol:

"[they]got so fed up with the constant bickering about the meaning of life which used to interrupt their favourite pastime of Brockian Ultra Cricket (a curious game which involved suddenly hitting people for no readily apparent reason and then running away) ..."

Douglas Adams, The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy