Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
During my Shelf of Shame Project I started with the fairy. Since there is only room for one project on my wet palette, this one had to take the back seat during RVE. Today I finished another project, at least as far as the palette is concerned, so I can finally continue with my little fairy. Every aspect of this project was created by rolling dice.
For everyone interested, here is a somewhat elaborate summary of part one:
During weekend I usually put down my brushes. At the moment, painting is a stand in for my job that's on hold because of Corona restrictions, so there will probably be no progress until next week. I just wanted to set up everything so I can start right away!
I've never taken so long, after starting to paint a miniature, to finish it.
She is Svetlana, the Frost Giant Princess. The metal version is DHL 3431; in Bones, she's 77107.
Read below the pics for the backstory of sculpting and painting.
I sculpted her in 2009, from this drawing by Wayne Reynolds:
He designed some other frost giants and the new icy-themed dark elf faction for Reaper around that time.
Werner Klocke had recently sculpted Reaper's fire giant queen, with a clever metal-saving design: a body cast in front-and-back parts that left a hollow center.
I stole that idea for the front giant princess.
I took my sculpting kit along on my 3-week bicycle ride from ReaperCon '09 (late May) to Asheville, North Carolina (mid-June).
I didn't sculpt much along the ride, but I do remember a day in Monteagle, Tennessee, when the fog was so thick I didn't want to risk being on the road. I gave my legs a rest that day and spent a few hours sculpting in my hotel room.
I finished sculpting the figure in late July, and she was released in September.
Some folks on the Reaper Forum debated whether the princess's face was exposed skin or a mask.
I weighed in here.
You can see how different people have painted her over the years, mostly with masks.
I didn't get around to painting my own version with the bare skin.
I got a metal copy of this figure in late 2009 or early 2010.
May 2010: 1 hour cleaning the figure.
((wait 1 year 10 months))
March 2012: 4 hours assembling the body (but not the left hand and spear), and using Greenstuff to patch the gaps and adding volume to the back of the hair.
April 2012: 3 hours doing a primer coat / value-study in White and Black Brush-On Primer.
((wait 3 years))
April 2015: 5 hours verifying the assembly, attaching the hand, refining the shape of the eyes a bit, setting wires for the extra hair strand & the spear strap (in WAR's sketch but not the stock figure), and then sculpting over the wires. Thin things like these can make a miniature look more dynamic and realistic because they aren't limited by the considerations for casting. (I got that advice from Jeremie Bonamont when he was at ReaperCon one year.)
WIP pics then:
That evening / night / early morning, I spent another 7 hours in 3 sessions roughing in blended base coats over everything.
And then I lost interest.
She went into the cabinet.
((wait 5 years 9 months))
I decided to include the fox in some way. (The fox goes with Feiya the Pathfinder iconic witch, #60048, sculpted by Julie Guthrie.)
I occasionally got nebulous ideas for an ice/snow base, but I never sat down to give physical form to these ideas.
Jan-Feb 2021: She called to me again at 1am one night / morning. I painted until 5:30am. More painting sessions over the following week, and then basing. Built the base from rough masses to final shapes -- just start building, and then edit and refine. Devised the sticks-with-straps elements to fill the front-right area and show the wind. Added the snow, including drifts and footprints. Refined the colors, especially the ice-spear and the snow. Glazed, glazed, glazed. In all, about 50 hours over the last 3 weeks.
And for now, she is finished.
I think the sculpt holds up pretty well, though I deviated on several points from WAR's sketch (partly from my own design sense, but mostly from my lack of sculpting skill).
If I were sculpting her today, I could do better on some proportions and making the fur and hair more spiky/icy than wavy.
Thanks for reading!
I haven’t been on the forum much this year. Since joining Anne Foerster’s Patreon I’ve been spending more time on Discord.
I’ve been painting this guy following the paintalong she’s done for one of the tiers. It’s the first time I’ve tried to do a “display quality” paint job. Other firsts are NMM, freehand, leather texture, cloth texture, and sculpted base elements.
I actually started this guy early this year, but then stopped painting altogether for about 4 months after the pandemic started. I picked him back up in July and am getting close to finishing. I’m posting a series of pics I’ve taken as I went, and will continue to post as I finish him up soon.
Feb 29: prepped and primed, with some minor GS work
Mar 1: base GS sculpting
— LONG BREAK —
Aug 2: skin lined, basecoated, and shaded
Aug 6: skin initial highlights
This was my main entry for the Painters category at 2019 ReaperCon. This figure was a long time resident of my shelf of shame. Originally intended for it to be an anniversary present for my parents in 2015 but I never got past base coating. For some reason it was just not clicking with me but I was determined to finish them this year. I made some changes to what I had planned and that finally worked. I originally planned on doing green and blue with a larger display base that was more a diorama. After so many years, I determined the base was just not working and one time when I was looking at the base coats, I realized pink would be better than blue with the green. It ended up being perfect because my mother has some art work that these colors match perfectly. Once I got the base and colors figured out, finishing was a breeze.
Who's Online 17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)