Kitsune Druid - DSM7648

Vacaroja

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

That's gorgeous. I don't usually see kitsune miniatures that look that good (far too many have overlarge heads or weird proportions) but that one is terrific.

Dark Sword has made a series of nice ones. I'm hoping to acquire some of the others eventually.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Samedi
      I love doing WIPs. And I've got a lot projects I should finish 😊. And since there is still no progress with Barros and Tempest (this time because I'm still waiting for a new base to be shipped), why not start something new?

I've yet to paint my first dragon, so I'll use this opportunity to do it. I confess, I'm cheating a bit here, since I'm going to paint the white dragon by Dark Sword Minis - that's a very small dragon. But still, he's got wings and teeth and claws and scales, so definitely a dragon, yessir!

I absolutely love this mini. I bought it many years ago, but the horns went missing. Fortunately, when I ordered some more minis from Dark Sword a while ago, I was able to order some spare horns, so now I'm good to go.

Here he is, assembled and prepped:

Now I have to decide on a paint scheme, which I can't bring myself to do. There are three ideas I have at the moment:

paint him up as an ice dragon. I'm thinking white with pinkish/greenish undertones and a base made with transparent crackle paint. There was a very cool version of an Ice Dragon a while ago on this forum, but I can't seem to find it any more.  paint him up as a star dragon using the technique I learned at RVE in Kevin Holderny's class. I used it on a coat so far, maybe it looks very cool on the dragon's wings. paint him up as a real world snake. Now there are so many possibilities...  
      Decisions, decisions...

Some more work on the base.
    • By TaleSpinner
      For the ReaperCon MSP Open this year, I painted the master copy of the White Drake I sculpted for Dark Sword (it will be released for sale in 2022).  I decided to do him in glacial coloration inspired by a glacier I saw while on a cruise in AK.

For the Sculpting story, click here.
      For the Painting WIP, click here.

Oh, and I won a gold medal for him in the Open category. 

(Bear in mind that that is a 1" base)

• By TaleSpinner
      I've been working on my drakes/dragons for what feels like forever now.  Last week, Jim of Dark Sword brought me a copy of the metal masters for the small versions of them as they are being prepared for casting.  He gave me permission to paint one up as my ReaperCon entry, despite their not being released yet.  So here goes...

If you want to read the whole tale on the sculpting of these drakes, check out this thread in the sculpting section.

After prepping the mini, I primed it with my airbrush, using stylrnez.

About 6 months ago, I had started painting a resin prototype of this mini that I had printed.  That mini was a bit too small and had some errors in the scales on its tail, so I abandoned it.  That said, I am sticking fairly close to the color concept I had with that one and will be using it as a preliminary sketch of where I want this one to go.  Here is that sketch model:

On Saturday, I got together with a bunch of friends to work on our Open entries and I began the painting in earnest,  All paints are MSP.  The dorsal scales are based in Sharkbite, the sides in Marid Blue, and the belly in Grindylow Green. The belly was washed in a mix of Grindylow Green and Clear Pthalo Green.  I have more work to do on that shading yet though.  I then shaded the sides down to Sharkbite.  I also have more work to do on the deepest shadows there yet after I get the highlights done.

I also painted the eyes and teeth. 

Yesterday, I highlight the sides up to white and based the claws in Drow Skin.

I plan on spending every night this week working on it and have Friday off as well.  I hope I can be done on Friday, but we'll see.  I do have all my classes prepped, so am ready for ReaperCon other than this project and one other metal work project I have going.  It is going to be a busy week though.
    • By Samedi
      During my Shelf of Shame Project I started with the fairy. Since there is only room for one project on my wet palette, this one had to take the back seat during RVE. Today I finished another project, at least as far as the palette is concerned, so I can finally continue with my little fairy. Every aspect of this project was created by rolling dice.

For everyone interested, here is a somewhat elaborate summary of part one:

During weekend I usually put down my brushes. At the moment, painting is a stand in for my job that's on hold because of Corona restrictions, so there will probably be no progress until next week. I just wanted to set up everything so I can start right away!
    • By dks
      I've never taken so long, after starting to paint a miniature, to finish it.
      She is Svetlana, the Frost Giant Princess.  The metal version is DHL 3431; in Bones, she's 77107.
      Read below the pics for the backstory of sculpting and painting.

THE SAGA

I sculpted her in 2009, from this drawing by Wayne Reynolds:

He designed some other frost giants and the new icy-themed dark elf faction for Reaper around that time.

Werner Klocke had recently sculpted Reaper's fire giant queen, with a clever metal-saving design: a body cast in front-and-back parts that left a hollow center. 
      I stole that idea for the front giant princess.

I took my sculpting kit along on my 3-week bicycle ride from ReaperCon '09 (late May) to Asheville, North Carolina (mid-June). 
      I didn't sculpt much along the ride, but I do remember a day in Monteagle, Tennessee, when the fog was so thick I didn't want to risk being on the road.  I gave my legs a rest that day and spent a few hours sculpting in my hotel room.
      I finished sculpting the figure in late July, and she was released in September.

Some folks on the Reaper Forum debated whether the princess's face was exposed skin or a mask.
      I weighed in here. 
      You can see how different people have painted her over the years, mostly with masks.
      I didn't get around to painting my own version with the bare skin.

I got a metal copy of this figure in late 2009 or early 2010.

May 2010: 1 hour cleaning the figure.

((wait 1 year 10 months))

March 2012: 4 hours assembling the body (but not the left hand and spear), and using Greenstuff to patch the gaps and adding volume to the back of the hair.
      April 2012: 3 hours doing a primer coat / value-study in White and Black Brush-On Primer.

((wait 3 years))

April 2015: 5 hours verifying the assembly, attaching the hand, refining the shape of the eyes a bit, setting wires for the extra hair strand & the spear strap (in WAR's sketch but not the stock figure), and then sculpting over the wires.  Thin things like these can make a miniature look more dynamic and realistic because they aren't limited by the considerations for casting.  (I got that advice from Jeremie Bonamont when he was at ReaperCon one year.)

WIP pics then:

That evening / night / early morning, I spent another 7 hours in 3 sessions roughing in blended base coats over everything.
      And then I lost interest. 
      She went into the cabinet.

((wait 5 years 9 months))
      I decided to include the fox in some way. (The fox goes with Feiya the Pathfinder iconic witch, #60048, sculpted by Julie Guthrie.) 
      I occasionally got nebulous ideas for an ice/snow base, but I never sat down to give physical form to these ideas.

Jan-Feb 2021: She called to me again at 1am one night / morning.  I painted until 5:30am.  More painting sessions over the following week, and then basing.  Built the base from rough masses to final shapes -- just start building, and then edit and refine.  Devised the sticks-with-straps elements to fill the front-right area and show the wind.  Added the snow, including drifts and footprints.  Refined the colors, especially the ice-spear and the snow.  Glazed, glazed, glazed.  In all, about 50 hours over the last 3 weeks. 
      And for now, she is finished.

I think the sculpt holds up pretty well, though I deviated on several points from WAR's sketch (partly from my own design sense, but mostly from my lack of sculpting skill). 
      If I were sculpting her today, I could do better on some proportions and making the fur and hair more spiky/icy than wavy.

Thanks for reading!

Enjoy!
      Derek