Sign in to follow this  
bushido

High Quality Products

It seems I've reached an impasse. I feel that I'm as good as I'm going to get using the stuff I am now...so I come to you. What are the "high-end" painting supplies, and is there a decent place to buy them online? I've heard that Vallejo paints are nice. I've also heard that these Winsor & Newton brushes are great, but none of the art supply stores in my area carry them. Suggestions?

Good place to look for nice brushes. It's available online, and they'll send you a catalgue. Nice for finding a lot of your needs.

Dick Blick Art Materials

I ended up hunting around all over the area (40 mi radius) until I found a little indie art store that I liked, that had everything I wanted for painting supplies. I also use tube paints for my minis, so couldn't tell you about the Vallejo stuff.

Good luck hunting.

Well, Dick Blick online has the W&N Series 7 brushes... www.dickblick.com

And there are a number of places that sell Vallejo Paints online:

www.minimadd.com

www.vallejo-paint.com

But my days with Vallejos are numbered.

Do tell, Rob. I'm gettin' ready to start a study with Liquitex acrylics....

Well, I've been rooting around this Dickblick site for a while. Thanks for the link. ::): Perhaps I should start another post about this, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of tube paints over the Vallejo/GW type? It seems to me that the tube paints would be thicker and require more work...but also have a higher pigment content...

I've been using Winsor & Newton tube paints for the most part. Galeria and Finity lines. I also have a bunch of Daler-Rowney acrylic tubes that I bought when I first started, just because they were cheaper.

If you're thinking of using the Galeria W&N they have an annoying habit of seperating on a wet palette after a couple days.

I honestly have no idea of the advantages of tube paints versus B&V or GW. I started with tube paints, because friends of mine were regular canvas painters, and when I told them I was looking for supplies they pointed me in that direction.

I know with my tube paints, I can thin them VERY aggressively, and the pigments still hold. They are definitely thicker uncut then the Reaper paints I bought. I usually end up spending $4 - $8 for a 2 oz tube depending on the color. I also find they do no clump up or look as rough, even when painting minimally thinned.

I also liked the fact that I could find the tube paints at literally every art and craft store I went to. Whereas finding the GW/Reaper/BV paints were a pain in the butt.

It's just my personal preference. I wish I could say I was an award winning painter, so I highly recommend them, but my painting skills are still very Newbie. I'm still learning the fine art of blends and highlighting. NMM scares the bajesus out of me right now. Heck, I just started beng able to paint an eye that wasn't crossed or walleye on my last couple minis.

You can always buy a few tubes of basic colors, blend them for customization (they blend very nicely) and experiment to see how you like them.

White, Black, Blue, Yellow, Red and you're pretty much all set, and it will only set you back about 30 bucks. 2 oz tubes of acrylic is a LOT of paint too, so there will be plenty to mess around with.

Do tell, Rob. I'm gettin' ready to start a study with Liquitex acrylics....

Really? I've just gone to Liquitex Medium Viscosity acrylics. Only complaint is that using them with Flow-Aid and Liquitex's retarder/extender/whatever, they end up very glossy. Picked up some matte medium today -- can anyone give me tips on using that? Does it take much?

As for why?

Well, why not?

I need to take my painting to higher levels, and I need to learn more control. And since I cannot possibly do work in oils, tubes are the next step. Someday I hope that Robert Cruse has that most coveted label appended to my name... and if you have to ask what that is, well... :angry:

The medium viscosity have a "filler" in them already. The high viscosity have more concentrated pigment and I've found that it works much better. But the medium I would use with just more of the water? I only use one of the med viscosity, but it is for a specific purpose. But yes, I have seen the "glaze/gloss" shine on the medium viscosity paints.

Stay away from the Galleria paints. BAD... this is a case where the same rules apply: the less expensive the paint, the worse the paint. Sorry, but considering how many types of paint I've tried in the past, it holds very true. You get what you can with whatever you are using... Liquitex and Golden are about the top out there that I can get locally, and I have tried the Galleria paints. What a waste of my money for what I wanted to do with them. I'll save them for painting actual paintings!

Windsor Series 7 brushes are unparalleled in my book now. They even stand up to the abuse that I can put a paintbrush through. And believe me, I can punish anything. :devil:

However, remember that tube paints have a very TRANSLUCENT quality, which may or may not fit your style of painting. They are demanding, and demand some great patience and time... The Vallejos, etc. are more opaque and still work great! The key is to find which work best in whatever situation you need. Just look at it as adding more techniques/understanding to your painting style...

Don't knock any paint... I use Delta Ceramcoats for my drybrushing on terrain. It works, and works well. That's the key component that I need.

W&N Series 16 brushes are an excellent quality brushes, and less expensive than Series 7, at about 70% of the price. W&N site touts them as being as good as any of the top brushes of their competitors.

I use both S7 and S16, and honestly, I don't find any difference in handling, other than a slightly enhanced spring to S16 bristles (which again, might be explained by my S16 brushes being a larger size than my S7)

Tube paints, despite quality, are designed to be used mainly over paper or canvass, therefore, they may not adhere to a primed surface as well as hobby formulated paints.

I have found something that I like with my tube paints that helps them adhere, but it does have a little of the gloss (nothing dullcote can't handle). Createx has an airbrush medium that I got to use with the pure pigments to mix my own paints (I'm psycho when it comes to mixing colors ...... by the 2oz bottle, at that), and I have found that it not only keeps the colors smooth, it also can mix a mean ink. :;):

By the way, have I mentioned how much I like Createx airbrush paints?