Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Fungal Queen - 44050 (Picture heavy)

STUNNING! She actually appears to have an aura about her. You have crafted a magical creation, BEAUTIFULLY painted & FANTASTICALLY based. VERY WELL DONE indeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That decorative plinth is amazing. Is that an underground lake and then a cavern below it? Just gorgeous. The OSL lighting is terrific, too. Did you use the crystals from the Underdark expansion in the base, or were those from something else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work, this magical fairytaily mood you created works perfectly on this model and base.

But, what are the true colours in it? There is a difference between each pic here, and to add to the confusion there's an additional photo in the contest thread with totally different scheme (blue-violet, not pinkish red as here).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

That decorative plinth is amazing. Is that an underground lake and then a cavern below it? Just gorgeous. The OSL lighting is terrific, too. Did you use the crystals from the Underdark expansion in the base, or were those from something else?

I made a little pool that she is standing above. We used a router to carve a cave into the side. I imagined water from the pool seeping through the stone to form stalactites and stalagmites in the little cave. The crystals are the transparent purple Reaper crystals, I just painted them.

6 hours ago, Nameless said:

Lovely work, this magical fairytaily mood you created works perfectly on this model and base.

But, what are the true colours in it? There is a difference between each pic here, and to add to the confusion there's an additional photo in the contest thread with totally different scheme (blue-violet, not pinkish red as here).

I played with different lighting for the photos with the dark background. Some are natural light and some are lit with a lamp that I have with pink cut glass globe so it casts a bit more of the pink light.

The colors used are black, nightshade purple, other shades of purple up to bright pinks and the pinks taken up to Breast Cancer Awareness pink. Then the cap and part of the cavern use blues and teals. The pinks and purples were glazed with clear purple and clear magenta. The blues with clear blue and turquoise ink.

Her skin is several of the Reaper skin tones, mainly golden but mixed with others. I highlighted and shaded using stippling to give her skin an interesting appearance.

The lighter background photo in the contest post shows pretty true to color. For atmosphere, since I envisioned her as queen of a magical underground kingdom, I used the black background which muted a lot of her colors but accentuated the pink. The ones lit with the pink light accentuated the pink paint even further 

Edited by Pochi
Spell check is not always smarter!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your base is a work of art - stunning - and the fungal queen herself is the perfect top - I love the way there is all this dark complexity below and how her pallid skin shines forth at the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this