I'll need a Pegasus soon for one of the PCs in the D&D 5e campaign I run for my son and his high school friends.

The metal Reaper one is lovely, but IMO, too fragile for use with a bunch of rambunctious teens. I was looking around for some options when I saw the Bones Sphinx, and figured her wings would "bolt" onto Silverhorn the Unicorn fairly easily.

IMG_20191231_163640.thumb.jpg.f6115084dacd1d8d4b54084407c7dcb6.jpg

So here is my attempt to create my own Bones Pegasus, since I can't wait for Bones 5 to deliver me one:

IMG_20191231_163833.thumb.jpg.d5c16d2b96a230d33122f1550b20848c.jpg

I cut off Silverhorn's horn (and set it aside for later), and drilled two holes in the shoulders.  I took the Sphinx's wings, and cut off the tabs, then shaped them best I could to fit the shoulder profiles of Silverhorn, before drilling a hole to pin them with.

IMG_20191231_163931.thumb.jpg.a0f2a3e54febbbf5b86e30b14bafa61d.jpgIMG_20191231_163942.thumb.jpg.b5808f7cf2fb650acbea5605e1f5bbe6.jpg

Next up is glue and green stuff.

I have a feeling he's going to droop over time. Not sure if I'm going to attempt to pin his back legs(s), but at a minimum, I'll probably glue him to a 50mm base to keep him upright, even if he droops.

• Like 19

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

And you can always paint the remainder of the sphinx as a statue?

There are some pretty big holes to fill in the back of the Sphinx before I can do that.

I did have the idea of taking a pair of the translucent Bones fairy wings and putting them on the Sphinx as a "fairy Sphinx"

• Like 6

10 hours ago, kristof65 said:

There are some pretty big holes to fill in the back of the Sphinx before I can do that.

I did have the idea of taking a pair of the translucent Bones fairy wings and putting them on the Sphinx as a "fairy Sphinx"

That sounds cool.

If all fails you could cut her up, paint the parts as stone and use it as s half buried broken statue for basing/terrain.

Nothing goes to waste.

• Like 7

Could also stuff the holes with green stuff until it is all slightly above the original surface, then texture that with a really rough stone. Follow that with a few sharp edges around the perimeter. It would look like the wings had been broken off the statue, if you go the statue route.

• Like 5

Here's where I'm at so far:

IMG_20200102_135156.thumb.jpg.bdf8d432a7c52fa1c15f1c5945b0186f.jpgIMG_20200102_135316.thumb.jpg.1d580abf7605a6ab31a53d04b2ab8489.jpg

First thing I did was carefully drill up through the base into the right rear leg in an attempt to pin the leg to keep him from drooping as bad over time.  I was mostly successful, though I did have a minor "blowout" on the thinnest part of the leg when I pushed in the brass wire for the pin.

Glued him to a 50mm RPG base flipped upside down, and filled in the base with Apoxie Sculpt.

The pins were glued into the wings, then a layer of green stuff was smashed between them and the horse body to create a gap filling layer.

I carefully pulled the wings back off, and trimmed away the green stuff that had "oozed" out the sides. Now I have a nice big surface to glue the parts together. 

Once the wings are glued in place, I will use more green stuff (or Procreate) to blend the wings to the body as best I can.

Additional green stuff was used to disguise where I chopped off Silverhorn's horn by filling in some mane, fix a molding issue on the inside front leg, and fix my blowout from pinning the rear leg.

• Like 13