Ember and Frost, Dance of Death

Kuroneko

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much to like here! The scales are great! I love the deep purple of the fire dragon's wings. Both sets of wings are well done. I like how the eyes are opposite colors. Really nice contrast between the two dragons. Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

A massive 'Thank You' to everyone who 'liked' and commented. You guys and gals are far too kind :wub:

On 1/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, Citrine said:

Beautiful, those red scales are awesome!

On 1/2/2020 at 5:09 AM, Iridil said:

Wow - inspirational - specially the red's scales and white's wings! Light and dark. Fire and Ice.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, Warlady said:

Wow!  Those scales are freakin' amazing!

Thank you all so much! The red/lava scales are actually fairly easy to do. I used these paints:

DSCN4095.thumb.JPG.111cae6afbb64a22201d09953e04f721.JPG

09037 Pure Black

HD Garnet Red (discontinued ::(:)

HD Brilliant Red (discontinued ::(:)

09406 Sunrise Orange

09407 Lantern Yellow

HD White(discontinued ::(:)

The Garnet Red and Brilliant Red could easily be replaced with a dark maroon red and a standard bright red, though.

The only problem is having to layer the whole dragon with each respective colour and make sure the same amount of colour is on each scale. It also doesn't look entirely right until you put the last tiny dot of white on the scales edge. I was really happy how Ember turned out though, so much so that I'm considering using the same mix for the main body of my Ma'al Drakar. I think that I'm just a glutton for punishment :blink:

On 1/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, Pochi said:

So much to like here! The scales are great! I love the deep purple of the fire dragon's wings. Both sets of wings are well done. I like how the eyes are opposite colors. Really nice contrast between the two dragons. Beautiful!

Thank you so much! I had actually forgotten that I'd done the eyes like that until you commented on it! :lol:

The wings were a total labour of love. I have no idea what the technique is called, but it involves laying down a decent layer of the paint along the edge of the wing sail, then using a larger damp brush to quickly wick the paint up the sail. It only took 12 layers to get Frosts wings to the stage in the photos :ph34r:

I was originally going to do some sort of pattern on both sets of wings, but I majorly chickened out on that front. I couldn't face redoing the transitions if I messed it up :wacko:

(Deletes substantial rant about all the painting flaws that I see in the photos)

My New Years resolution is to be less critical of, and to post a lot more pictures of my work here. You'll probably be sick of me before too long! Thanks again to everyone!

• Like 7