Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

On 1/12/2020 at 2:32 AM, Corsair said:

Question for 11 January, 2020, Today is @TheAuldGrump!

Have you met someone in this hobby who you became good friends with?

And the Question for 12 January, is for @PaganMegan

Are you still friends with that person, and if so, for how long?

Yes

Yes. considering most of my current friendships were met through the hobby (my wife excluded, we met dancing...::P:), longest lasting is 20 years this year...having said that I have no one that I was friends with 20 years ago that I'm still friends with...

• Like 9

On 1/10/2020 at 8:08 AM, Corsair said:

Question for 10 January, 2020, dedicated to @Crowley

What would be the last drink you would give up?

Water would be my answer here, boring or not.

I enjoy other things to drink, but most of the time I just drink cold water.

• Like 6

On 1/11/2020 at 10:32 AM, Corsair said:

I am going to choose to interpret "this hobby" narrowly to mean miniatures collecting/painting/sculpting/etc.. If I were to go with a broader "tabletop gaming" definition, it would be much easier to name the friends whom I didn't meet that way.

Having said that, I have probably made a few of dozen friends through this hobby, some of whom I would consider good friends. I will refrain from naming any names, because a significant fraction of both categories read these forums, and I'd hate to openly pick favorites among good people.

Yes.

The longest I have been friends with somebody purely through miniatures hobbying is probably a bit under eight years.

If I take a more expansive view, I have one local friend who does not follow these forums whom I met through miniatures gaming, back when he ran the local Warhammer Fantasy league. He's a very good friend, and we have now known each other for something like 25 years.

• Like 9

It was actually a customer at the comic book I worked at that got me into Warhammer.  We started talking, he was thinking of getting into it and...  Then we started building terrain.  :rolleyes:  Models came later.  That was 22 years ago and while he has moved on to other hobbies for the most part, he's still part of the weekly board game night.  

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

13 January 2020, today we salute @malefactus! Hiya Al!

Did you do any hobbying this weekend? Painting, playing, sculpting, etc?

I actually did quite a bit of painting this weekend. I managed to finish the mini for the Secret Sophie exchange, just needs to be based; and got another mini that I have been "playing" with for the past 2 years 90% completed. 

I'm not a fast painter.

• Like 13

I bounced around a lot as a kid from a broken home. In the late 70s, I stumbled across that infamous Tom Meier mini, which led to playing some D&D. When we moved again the next year, I got adopted by a group of kids who played D&D in my new school. One guy in particular liked me, and we would hang out all the time. Fast forward, he was the singer in my band as we tried to have a career in music, and the closest friend I ever had (other than my fiancee!). Unfortunately, after the band split, he kind of lost it and eventually committed suicide a few years ago. Only a couple of kids from that old D&D group are still with us.

11 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Spent much of the weekend in the desert, playing AC:Origins. Also nightime mode gaming: Resident Evil 2 with binaural headphone audio...really well done audio in that one. Creepy af!

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Absolutely none, as far as gaming-related hobbies go.  Though I did find a spectacular red dress for our Red Dress Run in Feb. :lol:

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I did some, but less than I'd planned.

Got the airbrush station cleaned up,. so got some Stormtroopers primed.  Also started testing out Badger's 3D Prime with a first coat of the smoothing medium.

And printed out two more sections of the 28mm ship (Neptune's Curse from Antimatter Games).

And got through 2 boxes of stuff that still needed sorting in the computer/hobby room.

I'd planned to do more (as my wife is out of town) but woke up Sunday feeling decidedly unmotivated. So instead lots of shows got watched.....

Might make up for a it a bit tonight as game night is cancelled due to the GM being sick.

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Not really, other then downloading stuff for the weekly games. I tend to take the weekend off (or at least Friday & Saturday). I did get my plan for the rest of the month done for my 2 weekly games. I've debated a bit with myself in regards to the Weds slot. I've decided for now to keep going but we'll see about Feb.

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I sat down during my shift at the call center on Sunday, when management isn't around to complain, and painted during lulls. Got almost done with the three demons from the Bones 4 Core, but not completely, sadly. Sundays at work are really the only time I have to get a lot of painting done. At my old job, management didn't care about my painting, so I did it during weekdays, as well, and it was glorious, but at the new place, I don't think I could get away with it. Pay's better, but I'm making a lot less painting progress.

• Like 12

57 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Yep.  Working on some more terrain for my game table, and playing D&D online via Fantasy Grounds with my old game group from CO. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Started a handful of new figures. Mostly basing at this point, starting to lay down some base colors on the body of the figures.  Got an second handful of figures primed,  they will need a second pass  to look for mold lines. 

• Like 12

1/11: Other than everyone on these forums?  No.  Everyone who I have gamed with and consider a good friend are people I already knew from elsewhere.

1/12: See above.

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

No, nothing of the sort this past weekend.

This weekend was the saga of the new TV, going to see the new Star Wars movie, and reviewing something related to employment and next month's weirdness.

• Like 13