Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

I had a very unsuccessful first attempt at airbrushing using the setup my Dad got me for Xmas. Seems like the paint kept drying at the end of the needle. I made a big red mess everywhere (paint). Tried thinning the heck out of the paint with the same results. I want it to work... I'll probably take another stab at it this weekend. Other than that I did some cleaning and assembly of some mini's I received on Friday. Might try to sit back and paint something the old fashion way tonight.

You should start a thread in either Work In Progress or Painting Tips & Advice.  There are some very knowledgeable folks here with airbrushes (not me so much, I'm still something of a rookie with mine) who may be able to help.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

13 January 2020, today we salute @malefactus! Hiya Al!

Did you do any hobbying this weekend? Painting, playing, sculpting, etc?

Didn't really do much, if any hobbying this past weekend.  It's been almost a week, possibly a tad longer since I last painted, but this weekend had a lot of gaming, research, and also cleaning and tidying up of the living room. 

....Plus looking into getting out of one hobby that isn't bringing me anywhere near the joy it used to.  I do enjoy benching, but lately it's just been... Not what I've wanted.  The fact where my benching rig is would make an excellent spot for an airbrush workstation (with a window to exhaust out of right behind it) doesn't have much to do with that, but I suppose it's worth mentioning.  I may get back into it at some point, but one part of it all is I've grown somewhat tired of a lot of the drama, the frustrations, and the regular burnout one can easily hit with that hobby. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I worked on my new nightmare ram from kingdom death, - assembly and gap fill. 

but the painting started today. Plus lots of work on a base, that im dissatisfied with.  Moving to a new concept. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Corsair said:

@WhiteWulfe what is benching?

How to describe such.  Uhm.... *laughs nervously*  Arguably it's a subset of the overclocking community, where the use of more normal cooling methods (air coolers, closed loop water coolers (aka "all in one" water coolers) to the downright extreme (phase change coolers, dry ice immersed in a bath of something (I use acetone), liquid nitrogen, or in rare cases (usually manufacturer sponsored) liquid helium).  The benching part comes about where you're not just doing it for bragging rights, but also to compete with others through the use of various benchmarking programs, and then comparing results in various places.  Some use forums, others use HWBot.  I did the forum thing on and off for years, but got talked into competing (as more of a fun thing) on the 'bot back in 2014.  I would argue I've done well with it over the years, had a lot of fun, and even have managed to stay in the top 20 for the several thousand in Canada who've competed on HWBot, so there is that.

I'd post pics of some of my frozen gear adventures, but since there's...  Oh, found some pics that didn't have those little "easter eggs" I put in as playful sillyness...  Pics behind the spoiler to keep thread at least somewhat tidy.

Spoiler

IMG_20190211_184811.thumb.jpg.3e2693c7ce8444a97b6764b0d8609c2e.jpg

^ Somewhat more recent pic I think (Feb 11th, 2019 apparently), featuring my "pride and joy" LGA 775 acquisition - the Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme, with all the copper accessories not only still intact, but not even showing any signs of aging or having been someone's daily rig for years.  I use quotes because I got it for a steal of a deal on the price, getting it with a bunch of other things for about a quarter of what the board itself tends to sell for nowadays due to the collector market.

20170429_155025.thumb.jpg.34bdcfe1b5ff3452b7a7387a526802b8.jpg

^April 29th, 2017.  I think this is from the initial cool-down run I was doing on my first benching motherboard (Asus P5E, with a modified Rampage Formula bios loaded onto it).  Yup, that's a negative sign at the front of that number, and those numbers are degrees Celcius.  K-type thermal probe is inserted into the very base of that copper cooling pot (the thing wrapped in pipe insulation, and coated in ice at the top).  About five cap fulls of acetone combined with a cooling pot full of dry ice nuggets that have been broken up will usually get me down to about -70C when idling on most processors, and usually around -63C or so under load.

It's a hobby I've rather enjoyed, but the biggest issues I'm facing at the moment are to be more competitive I'll need to buy better DDR3 ram, as well as a new power supply, neither of which are cheap, especially power supplies nowadays.  That and it's a hobby you're constantly putting money into, and I'd rather put the cash elsewhere, doubly so if I'm not getting anywhere near the satisfaction out of it I used to even two and a half years ago.

EDIT: I'd link my HWBot profile, but unknown if such would go against forum rules or not due to the various company tie-ins HWBot has throughout their site.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

I had to work this weekend, so I didn't have enough time for painting. However, I did tidy my painting desk and prep my Bones 4 Blacksting Wyvern as it's probably going to be my next project.

I had also planned on fighting the greenstuff in the continuing saga of Argent(Faerie Dragon), but I didn't have enough time. I'll hopefully get back to it this week.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

...saga of Argent (Faerie Dragon)...

Is there a thread about this somewhere? (asked hopefully)

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

Is there a thread about this somewhere? (asked hopefully)

Not yet, but I'm going to start one soon :poke:

The wings are proving to be an absolute mare to get right. This is him in the early stages of construction.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88389-getting-to-know-you-october-2019/page/31/

I really just want to get him built/sculpted so that I can get on with the fun stuff- painting him! His colours will probably be a mix of Blue and Peacock butterflies.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

We played d&d on Friday and cyberpunk on Saturday. 

I long for the day when I can paint or sculpt again.

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

@WhiteWulfe what is benching?

TL;DR: hella nerdy :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I had to work this weekend, so I didn't have enough time for painting. However, I did tidy my painting desk and prep my Bones 4 Blacksting Wyvern as it's probably going to be my next project.

After admiring your "Dance of Death" I very much look forward to seeing this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

TL;DR: hella nerdy :lol:

I have no idea what you're talking about at all. And no, I don't want to move my benching hardware so all my basing stuff is right next to my painting desk, whyever would I do something insane like that... ::P:

Yeah, it can be pretty geeky to say the least, doubly so since if you watch anyone doing it it seems like they're getting EXCITED over a different error code when it blue screens for the fortieth time in a row...   ...Of course we get excited over that, it means you're closer to actually getting into windows with a 110% overlcock! ...Then it's the "oh, c'mon, just validate for me, nobody believes your video unless there's a link as well!" 

Nope, not nerdy at all.  Or geeky. Lab coat optional. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

You should start a thread in either Work In Progress or Painting Tips & Advice.  There are some very knowledgeable folks here with airbrushes (not me so much, I'm still something of a rookie with mine) who may be able to help.

I think there may already be an airbrush thread. 

(Edit: there’s this... 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88863-airbrush-clogging/&tab=comments#comment-1894700

...and a few other threads when I searched for airbrush. There might be a good tip in one of them.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Corsair said:

14 January 2020. Today is shouting out to @redambrosia

Did another hobby lead you to this one, or has this one led you to another hobby?

Assuming that "this one" is miniatures painting, I came to it from wargaming through RPGs. I had been an avid Avalon Hill and SPI gamer in the mid-70s when my dad was transferred to Germany again. At the beginning of the school year, I overheard two of my new classmates talking about a "new wargame" they had run into at the latest Rhein Confederation Wargames Society meeting. The new wargame turned out to be D&D, the classmates turned into friends, and the rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Corsair said:

14 January 2020. Today is shouting out to @redambrosia

Did another hobby lead you to this one, or has this one led you to another hobby?

My gaming hobby led to this one. I had been looking for mini's for use in play and whet was available on the Evil Bay were mainly repeats, then I stumbled on the Bones 1 KS and got sucked in.

• Like 9