Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

14 minutes ago, Corsair said:

14 January 2020. Today is shouting out to @redambrosia

Did another hobby lead you to this one, or has this one led you to another hobby?

In a round about way, I suppose that is what happened. The boy I used to be loved Marx Toy Soldiers & Britains Ltd. He was also fond of making model railroad building kits. Then as a teenage me, I discovered war games. The games, after a time, became secondary to painting & making scenic items. At this point I would say that it became a craft rather than a hobby. 

Now painting/sculpting is my passion; it is my reason to get up in the morning...what I do when I can't sleep.

• Like 12

I collected miniature figurines, and did dollhouse miniatures.  I wouldn't say it 'led' to gaming and painting, but there are a lot of crossover skills.  I still collect figurines and build doll houses, but much more slowly than I paint. 

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Did another hobby lead you to this one, or has this one led you to another hobby?

D&d led me to painting miniatures. Painting miniatures led me to (my true passion, apparently) collecting miniatures. :lol:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I started playing Melee back in the late 70s, which led to D&D and Traveller.  I liked the minis that I saw back then, and bought a few, but the paint jobs I tried were horrible, and I gave up on it.  Fast forward to the late 80s, when the D&D group I had recently joined decided to try out WH40k Rogue Trader, that snowballed into many more miniatures games, and since I had minis for those games, it wasn't a big stretch to start using them for D&D.  

I had dabbled in building a model railroad with my dad over the years, so I turned those skills into building wargame terrain to go along with my minis. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I guess playing with star wars figs in the 70s led me to minis. Being used to cheap asian plastics (ironic now I guess), the detail on a lead Tom Meier mini blew my young mind.

Painting minis, and griping about every part of the hobby that's not painting (prep, modeling, basing, etc) led me to traditional art. Drawing and painting, though I mostly draw right now. I've done pretty well in the few years I've been plugging away at it, though it got to be too much expectation and responsibility (everyone wanted more works, more demands to be in shows, serving on the art assoc. board, stuff like that). So right now I'm just chilling, playing video games and waiting to be forgotten :D 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Painting miniatures led me back into traditional art and building terrain. I'll never be serious about 2D art I don't think, but I have fun dabbling, and enough people lie about how good my paintings are that it keeps it rewarding. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Like many others, gaming lead to miniatures.

For me it was not direct RPG->Painting. When I was a kid we primarily played "theater of the mind" with no minis for our RPGs. I only really started painting miniatures later, when I got dragged into more miniatures gaming. (Battletech, then Warhammer, then madness.)

• Like 11

Table top gaming led to miniature painting. Although there were a few related hobbies, like building models and scenery for trains with my dad, that probably influenced me as well. 

Miniature painting led me to a different hobby of sorts though. Guerilla art. Several years ago my city's parks department commissioned several "fairy houses" to be quietly installed in one of our parks. Little scenes of tiny doors and homes built onto the sides of trees and such. I thought to myself that it was cool, but the cutesy fairy stuff didn't really do it for me. So I painted up a reaper troll and superglued it just inside a storm drain opening (where else would you find a modern day urban troll?). I followed that up with stuff like cops glued to windowsills of my favorite bar, a pointing dwarf in a broken pipe, the dwarf/pig butcher guy in a potted plant at another bar... you get the picture. Then bones 4 delivered and I started putting magnets in the fence toppers and leaving them all over the neighborhood. I've currently got 4 more of the toppers ready to go, just need to find a place to drop them. I have plans to do another group of figures to leave at a nearby park and I want to paint up about 20 or so fence toppers (preferably the gargoyles) to leave around spaces at Origins this summer for people to find. But I'm getting very low on toppers. So fingers crossed that Reaper releases them before June rolls around. 

I have no idea if people see these little "installations." But some have gone missing and I like to think someone found them and it made them happy enough that they took them home with them. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

When I finally got to university (so not on a farm in the middle of nowhere) I started playing RPGs.

That lead to Magic the Gathering, which lead to other CCGs.

That lead to Legend of the 5 Rings, which lead to Clan War, which was the first real minis I bought.

And minis collecting (with occasional painting) has lead me into 3D printing (and I'll hopefully get into 3D modeling at some point).  And very recently I did pick up a Gundam kit, but I haven't even opened that yet, so not sure if I'll like that.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Started off with military model-making in 1/72 scale, which led pretty rapidly into table top gaming which led to figure painting. A break for board games, then got into RPG's, so more figures for that, a break for CGG and then back to fantasy figures and more painting... and so it goes round and round in a sort of hobby perpetuum mobile.

• Like 10

On 1/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, Corsair said:

13 January 2020, today we salute @malefactus! Hiya Al!

Did you do any hobbying this weekend? Painting, playing, sculpting, etc?

Painted a Reaper Cheetah Girl this weekend as well as started a Stonehaven Troll.

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Been collecting for decades with intent to paint, but never really got into painting until I got back into D&D a few years ago. Now I can't stop and I don't paint for our games anymore partly because we play long distance now with Roll20.

• Like 11

Boredom at a hobby shop is what led me to mini painting. I was the girl that came with her boyfriend, languishing in boredom when the store owner (GBO) came over and asked me if I was having a good time. Lol. He asked me if I had ever painted, and showed me his painting desk backlog.

13 years of marriage (and at least 4 armies later), I'm the painter and player, and we enjoy nerd hobbies together!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I'd already been gaming for a couple of years (and had been trying /not/ to get sucked into painting minis, because... I.. already have expensive hobbies. But I was already painting resin dolls, so.... eventually, I let a friend talk me into helping her paint some stuff and it spiraled from there. 

Reaper, probably, although I was using artist's acrylics to paint them at first, because that was what I had.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Assuming that "this one" is miniatures painting....

:rock: ...this one could be 1) collecting figures 2) role playing games...

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

LARPing in high school to RPGing to wargaming to painting.

Painting led to selling painted minis. Selling led to burnout. Burnout led to not selling anymore ::P:

Painting came back. Worldbuilding and writing merged with writing and I went to panting for RPGs.

• Like 12