Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

14 January 2020 [ ... ] 

Which hobby lead you to your current mix of figure related hobbies, and have they, led you to some other hobby?

I my case:

Army Men ==> 54mm Figure collecting. 

D&D ==> Wargaming (with the 54mm figures) ==> Naval Wargaming ==> 15mm Civil Wargaming ==> Terrain making ==> Metal Figure Collecting ==> Warhammer ==> More Terrain making ==> Figure Painting ==> More Collecting

I can’t really make a linear progression out of it. Some of those things multi-branched and looped. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

14 January 2020. Today is shouting out to @redambrosia

Did another hobby lead you to this one, or has this one led you to another hobby?

Another hobby lead me here. I started with Warmachine waaaaaay back when the first starter boxes came out. I got Cryx and my Dad got Cygnar. I had been interested in wargaming but Warhammer was a bit much and the starter boxes for Warmachine were cheap in comparison. I collected Warmachine (and Hordes) for a while but it turns out I was the only one around who did so doing any actual gaming with them wasn't so fun. I had to do all of the setup and prep for it. But, I found I actually enjoyed just painting them, as long as it wasn't a unit of 10 basically identical troops. And so, here we are.

• Like 12

Did another hobby lead you to this one, or has this one led you to another hobby?

D&D lead me to minis as my uncle gave us his old D&D minis that he had painted in university.  Between D&D and comics I landed a job in a comic shop that started carrying GW.  A customer I used to chat with talked me into trying it (I know, supposed to work the other way around!!), which has lead to lots of GW stuff which then lead to painting for the simple joy of it (busts, random minis) and then back to D&D.  I remember using coloured beads, dice and skittles to represent our playmat back in 2nd and 3rd ED D&D, or a white board if we needed more clarification on something, especially during combat.  Minis fixed that and then Reaper had their first KS when I was starting to look for figures for my son to play with and...  here I am.  It since led to airbrushing and now 3d printing...  Next up, likely trying my hand at 3d sculpting or at least tweaking/modding existing stuff. 

• Like 13

Like a lot of fellow forumites, I got here via roleplaying. Combat in games just work so much better with minis. "I'm flanking!" "No you're not!" etc.

I recently found some of my first painted minis, hoo boy were they terrible. Who'd have thought that enamels from the hobby store would age that badly? 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:05 AM, Corsair said:

13 January 2020, today we salute @malefactus! Hiya Al!

Did you do any hobbying this weekend? Painting, playing, sculpting, etc?

I painted on my exchange mini's base.  It is of course not done.

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

D&D led to minis. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I think a basic love of reading fantasy novels and playing fantasy RPGs led me to this hobby. Reading led me to Dragonlance, which led to playing Baldur's Gate, which years later led to playing pen and paper RPGs with my brother and his friends, which ultimately led to a mini obsession. And now possibly leading me into foam crafting.

Clearly, reading was a gateway drug. They never tell you about that danger.

Mostly, I think they advertise it as a feature.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Like most, D&D led to minis. Back in the day I became the group's painter for at least the PC minis.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

I started painting miniatures after rediscovering my love for BattleTech in 2015.

Painting miniatures has led me to... collecting miniatures.  I should really either stop buying them or start painting more/faster.  (Nah.)

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

Both, for me.  D&D led me to painting minis.  That has led me to trying to paint minis I’d never dare play D&D with, which I think is a slightly different hobby.

It’s also led me to buying a bunch of board games and skirmish games that have cool minis.  Does buying games I haven’t played count as a hobby?  :rock:

In theory I plan to play these games at some point.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, klarg1 said:
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Clearly, reading was a gateway drug. They never tell you about that danger.

Mostly, I think they advertise it as a feature

Hmm. I did not consider reading. 

That would have been in the sequence somewhere. But a diagram ...lots of circles connected by lines... would be needed to show the sequence.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Kind of.

Originally, I was introduced to minis to play Warhammer (unsuccessfully, as I've mentioned before), it wasn't until years later I considered just painting them instead.

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

I started out with military model kits, 1:72 and 1:35 usually and 54mm Napoleonics.

Already loved reading LOTR and such stuff, so when Grenadier, Ral Partha and early Citadel hit the market with their stuff I switched to Fantasy and Scifi Miniature painting, it helped that I was getting fed up with my own perfectionism concerning historical stuff.

As for this leading to another hobby, I tend to build more and more terrain/backdrops etc.

Lately I have been thinking about getting myself a 3D printer, which will be somewhere within two years.

Who knows where that may lead me.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Good morning 15January 2020, today we salute our illustrious Mascot @buglips*the*goblin!

What is the oldest paint you have in your "bag"?

Citadel Glistening Green.

Love that colour!

image.png.1cbc8c178c370f0d78f61635bff29255.png

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Good morning 15January 2020, today we salute our illustrious Mascot @buglips*the*goblin!

What is the oldest paint you have in your "bag"?

I have a sky blue shade (not sure of actual name) that was from the Citadel Paint sets of the late 80s. Same bottle style as Glitterwolf's pic but no label. I rarely use it but occasionally make sure the tiny bit that's left is still usable. It's almost my only paint that hasn't been moved over to a dropper bottle.

• Like 9