Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

Question for 15 January 2020, in honor of @Rahz

Do you have a "lucky" or "unlucky" set of dice? And what do you do with them?

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Corsair said:

Good morning 15January 2020, today we salute our illustrious Mascot @buglips*the*goblin!

What is the oldest paint you have in your "bag"?

An old metallic green from GW is the oldest paint I still have and it's still good.  I use it for drybrushing my warpstone for my skaven.  Very precious stuff!  

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I have a lucky d20 that has a propensity for rolling more 20s than others do, or at least it seems to.  I am generally very unlucky with any form of d6.  I once tried to melt a poor-performing d20 with a propane torch.  It darkened but didn't really melt and I was worried it might explode so I stopped and won't be repeating that...  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Corsair said:

There are dice I have stopped using due to performance issues.  They are banished to a plastic "bucket" (I think it was actually the cover for a spindle of 200 blank CDs from back in the day).  Eventually I pull them out and see if they have learned their lesson.  More go in than ever come out.

For a given character I usually have 3-5 sets somewhat colour coordinated.  If any are under performing, they get set aside for a while and I'll use others from the sets.  This is usually only short term though.  It is rare for me to pull a set out of the rotation for a character.

And I have a special bag of mini dice I only use when playing Gnomes (yes I like playing Gnomes, don't judge me!!  ::D:).  They tend to rolle pretty well.  I misplaced these for a while (it is a small bag after all) but found it while moving.  Must be time to play a Gnome again soon!

But I've never had an really lucky dice.  Nothing to the point where I'd start wondering if they are statistically abnormal.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I don't really have lucky or unlucky dice.  I have dice with a sense of humor.  I have dice that evidently like to play rather than DM.

Seriously; when I DM, I can pretty much count on the monsters/enemies going last.  Any d20 I roll is in the single digits for initiative.  To hit rolls vs my players? about 1 in 10 rolls are successful.  Now saving throws vs player abilities?  My dice will laugh at the players and go "nope, try again".  Saving throws are practically the only time they roll twenties.  Doesn't matter if I switch dice, they are all in cahoots.

Same dice when I'm a player: they roll average for the most part.  I do tend to roll better the higher the stakes are though.  Need to get in a lucky shot before the creature kills another party member? 19 or 20 coming up.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Nope, I have honest dice. I know this because I floated them to ensure that they're not biased.

I actually found one d20 that was unbalanced (biased towards 13, IIRC), so it's in dice jail.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Question for 15 16 January 2020, in honor of @Rahz

I haven't played anything recently enough for that to matter.  I still have my old set of dice that I used for D&D, and I seem to recall them being pretty favorable.  Mostly, my dice just sit in their bag on a shelf.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Sort of. 

I like to buy dice for every new character or game, and I generally try to use those dice exclusively for that character or game.   I have a set of green marble Chessex dice that I use the most, because they're my GM dice.   I wouldn't say those dice are lucky or unlucky, but sometimes I think that they may have have players they like/dislike.  For example, when playing a WFRP campaign back in the 90s, it seemed like they really liked to roll critical hits against one particular player. In the current D&D campaign, they can't seem to ever roll a hit against another player. 

I know it's just my own bias and perception of random events, but still...

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I really don’t have any lucky or unlucky dice. I have some favorites based on color, associated memories, etc., but that’s about it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I'm not sure if my dice are lucky or unlucky, they just sit in a bowl on the shelf as an odd bit of room decoration.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I don't really believe in luck, so not really. I have some that perform better than others, but that's probably because they're not terribly well balanced. My players on the other hand, they certainly believe in luck. Specifically when it comes to my dice.

They've nicknamed them "The Dice of Death" and won't even touch them when they're laying on the table for fear they'll roll poorly the rest of the night. This likely stems from the fact I've been, more or less, using the same dice for 20+ years, and they've seen a lot of PCs dead or maimed as a result of my rolling. But there's not really any truth behind the idea that they somehow roll lucky for me, or that they have the ability to suck dice rolling mojo from players' fingers. 

For the most part though, I encourage this belief. I think it's good as a GM to have your players scared not just of what you're going to pull on them, but also to be afraid of how my dice are going to make it that much worse. 

• Like 8

No "unlucky" dice. All dice misbahave at times. When they do, they serve a sentence in the belly of red dragon dice bag jail!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I have a set of Halloween dice that pretty consistently try to kill my players, does that count?

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Question for 15 16 January 2020, in honor of @Rahz

I have four orange -fire-speckled d6's that are only used for stat rolling because they roll hot. I have been known to slap the hand of a person who reaches for them.

Yes, I have unlucky dice: any dice touched by an ex-girlfriend. They get given to someone else... I mean, the dice, the dice get given away. The women just seem to walk off on their own...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I have a set of "Creamsicle" Chessex dice:

chx27453.jpg

These don't care if your a player or a DM, they are pretty lethal. My players hate when I use these & a aasimar cleric I was playing failed her death saves due to a fail & a rolling a 1 on the 2nd save. :upside: (I tend not to roll them as a player, thou)

As part of 3 attacks from a creature last Monday, these consistently rolled high. Good dice.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

No. They're just dice.  I do have sets for different games, like a brick of d6 for Shadowrun and a handful of d10 for Cthulhu, but there's nothing special about any of them. 

Someone I game with is a dice freak. She has 50 or more sets and goes through elaborate rituals at the start of every game to determine which ones to use. 

• Like 10