Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Someone I game with is a dice freak. She has 50 or more sets  

Just saying, this seems like a completely reasonable number of sets to have....<_<

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for 15 January 2020, in honor of @Rahz

Do you have a "lucky" or "unlucky" set of dice? And what do you do with them?

GBO has a die named, "the Die of PC Slaying". It's only brought out for special occasions. ::D:

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

One of the last successful prints I did on my Ender 3 before the glob of death took it down......

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2820920

(dice jail that fits a standard Chessex base)

When I get my printer going again, I need to print a few more for my players. The I did print went to player that isn't a regular at the FLGS anymore.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I only play board games and use the dice that come with those.

Unfortunately the dice are always in favour of my girl and vixens.

I think the dice in our household hate me for some reason.

I play the games for fun and never win.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I only play board games and use the dice that come with those.

Unfortunately the dice are always in favour of my girl and vixens.

I think the dice in our household hate me for some reason.

I play the games for fun and never win.

That's cause you need THESE DICE!!!

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/sapphire-anniversary

(note the price...........:blink:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3

I can buy a real sapphire and a better looking set of dice for that price. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

I can buy a real sapphire and a better looking set of dice for that price. 

Yah when I seen these advertised on their facebook page, I was like Wow, really. The comments were not to their favor either. While I'm a Chessex user, I do like the look of the metal with the blue numbers (just not the cheap sapphire for the 20).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

It HAS been awhile since last I rolled a die, but I never had a lucky set that I recall. This is probably a bi-product of starting out as an historical gamer; i.e., when you are rolling a couple dozen six sided dice at a time, picking out lucky ones is ridiculous.

Otherwise I have as many superstitions as the next Guy or Gal.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

and goes through elaborate rituals at the start of every game to determine which ones to use. 

That reminded me of the elaborate and stupid things my old minis gaming group would do to "curse" each other's dice back in the 90s.  We had a few players who would borrow a spare set of our host's dice, and a couple others who left their dice there so that they couldn't forget them. Arriving early, or staying late meant you could mess with the other people's dice.   Most of the messing started out as simple slips of scrap paper in the dice box saying things like "these dice have been cursed", but things gradually escalated. Tiny fancy scrolls with nonsensical "magic" symbols replaced scrap paper. Dice boxes would be filled with various substances. Players who left their dice would hide them somewhere in the game room, hoping no one would find them. Just about anything was fair game, as long as you didn't actually harm or steal someone else's dice or cause damage to our host's property (IE, no glitter!). 

It escalated to the point that most people just hauled their own dice, and stopped borrowing the host's dice, but we had one player who wouldn't accept that, and yet never seemed to be able to arrive first or stay until last. Every game session he was at usually started with him retrieving his hidden dice only to yell "#$#%^^. You guys did it again" 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 5
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Marineal said:

GBO has a die named, "the Die of PC Slaying". It's only brought out for special occasions. ::D:

My Halloween dice have Jack o' Lanterns in place of the High number on them, and more often than not when i'm rolling hits against my players the 20 "comes up pumpkin."

I also have some d6 that a friend gave me from their wedding, I think they were wedding favors,  and they roll unreasonably high. They often get used for character creation due to their seeming inability to roll less than 4. Lots of 12s and 13s and 14s, and not a few 15-18. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I don't believe in luck. If a die is showing a tangible favor for certain faces, I'd probably remove it from the game. If someone disagreed, an analysis would have to be run to develop a dataset showing that it was rolling fairly. If the data showed it being improperly manufactured, it's a cheat die and therefore illegal.

I'm a fun guy!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I don't believe in luck. If a die is showing a tangible favor for certain faces, I'd probably remove it from the game. If someone disagreed, an analysis would have to be run to develop a dataset showing that it was rolling fairly. If the data showed it being improperly manufactured, it's a cheat die and therefore illegal.

I'm a fun guy!

Getting a statistically significant analysis of the fairness of a die is a very long and slow process. (Takes about 200 rolls of a single d20 to reduce the error bar to 5%, for instance.) Which is why floating dice is generally a better way to check them. Any die that is significantly out of balance will show that in a few seconds in a float test.

Most gaming dice are slightly denser than water, so in order to float the dice, you need to add salt* to increase the density until the dice will float. (Floating metal dice is left as an exercise for the student. :B):)

* There are other choices that will also work, but table salt is cheap and works well enough in most cases.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Not really.  My dice seem to do better the more I roll, so close combat assault rolls from Blood Wolves are especially lethal...  They're also dangerous for imperial guard armies,for the same horde reasons. 

Never did test them with Skaven to see if it's still the same. 

Who cares if you got half a dozen ones if you still got two dozen fours... 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:
19 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I'm a fun guy!

Getting a statistically significant analysis of the fairness of a die is a very long and slow process. (Takes about 200 rolls of a single d20 to reduce the error bar to 5%, for instance.) Which is why floating dice is generally a better way to check them. Any die that is significantly out of balance will show that in a few seconds in a float test.

Most gaming dice are slightly denser than water, so in order to float the dice, you need to add salt* to increase the density until the dice will float. (Floating metal dice is left as an exercise for the student. :B):)

* There are other choices that will also work, but table salt is cheap and works well enough in most cases.

It's most hilarious when you find some people have their own luck.

We had a player who seemed to disproportionately roll badly. Glut of ones. So we're all scientists, we started writing it down. Pages and pages of numbers. He'd write down every single d20 roll made at our table over months. Each page had 3 rows of numbers, we stopped around a dozen pages, a sample of well over 400 rolls made with a mix of three d20s rotated over the months.

Yeah, turns out he really did have bad luck. Well over 15% of his rolls were critical failures. He rolled over ten about 35% of the time.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I had an unlucky die.  a bright pink d20.  It could be counted on to roll under 8 in most situations. 

As a DM, it was handy to have a dice to roll when one blow would kill a PC. 

then I got bored while I was running a PC and started testing it.  - over one hundred rolls and its results evenly distributed into each quarter of the range. 

i guess it was just my imagination. 

• Like 10