Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

16 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

It's most hilarious when you find some people have their own luck.

Our gaming group has the "natural Mike" for one player.  Mike has the ability to roll a 3 on a d20 a ridiculous amount of the time, on any d20, as either a player or a gm.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for 15 January 2020, in honor of @Rahz

Do you have a "lucky" or "unlucky" set of dice? And what do you do with them?

Not really. My dice seem to generally have a perverse sense of humour.

Does tend to lend itself well to amusing encounters (I have a paladin in my folder who is pretty much forbidden from polearms; she's broken more weapons than she's hit things with, and all because my dice. She was fine with regular spears, or the usual paladin complement, but hand her anything with reach, and my dice rolled fumble after fumble... and confirmed the lot).

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have a couple of sets of d6s that don't like rolling the 6 - but they're all 'special' sets with something fancy in place of the one or the six (and both ways they don't like sixes)

I find that for me regular sized d10s roll average, but rolling high when I want low and vice versa (WarGods requires high rolls to hit and low rolls to save), however my small d10s (which I can't seem to find anywhere anymore ::(:) also roll average, but the other way round (so much so that my archers have a  reputation of getting 10 out of 12 hits needing 8+ to hit...but at the same time the same dice will get 5 out of 6 saves needing 2 or less)

Generally I find that smaller dice roll 'better' for me...

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have many sets of dice, but none of them are particularly lucky or unlucky.

And, since I don't get to play games anymore, they just sit there.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Given the number of dice I own it is likely that at least one of them has some kind of manufacturing flaw that would lead to a bias.  I've never been interested enough to test for it though.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Lucky: No. 

Unlucky: Yes. 

I have relegated them to being wound markers. 

2 hours ago, Loim said:

I also have some d6 that a friend gave me from their wedding, I think they were wedding favors,  and they roll unreasonably high. They often get used for character creation due to their seeming inability to roll less than 4. Lots of 12s and 13s and 14s, and not a few 15-18. 

I have some D6s that do the opposite, they really like to roll 1.***

They have numbers screen printed on the sides except for the 1 which was replaced by a skull. Black plastic; white numbers. Some (long since defunct) game store (I think it was an official WotC store) had slashed the price of them to 4 for a buck. Initially I put them with my Traveller stuff because black/white. 

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Getting a statistically significant analysis of the fairness of a die is a very long and slow process. (Takes about 200 rolls of a single d20 to reduce the error bar to 5%, for instance.) Which is why floating dice is generally a better way to check them. Any die that is significantly out of balance will show that in a few seconds in a float test.

Most gaming dice are slightly denser than water, so in order to float the dice, you need to add salt* to increase the density until the dice will float. (Floating metal dice is left as an exercise for the student. :B):)

* There are other choices that will also work, but table salt is cheap and works well enough in most cases.

With my D6s it became obvious very quickly. I pulled them out one afternoon to roll up a page worth of spare D&D character stats. The batch of D6s was about a dozen strong. 15 to 18 sets of character stats later it was obvious something was very wrong. 

Many weeks later I was messing around stacking them. I soon noticed they didn’t want to stack evenly. They were not cubes! At a glance They looked like cubes, but they were shorter on one dimension. A stack of five could be made that was half a dice taller than an adjacent stack, depending on the face that was up. 

Thanks to the internet I eventually learned that these are called “shaved dice”.

Tried to find an image of  them on the Internet but too many peoples have made too many Dice with Skullz since mine were first made. 

I remember finding them once on an internet listing. ***The original point of them was to have a special dice for rolling for a wandering monster. For those occasions when the party had done something egregiously special. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

No, I do not.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

My lucky dice are whichever set I pick up first. Unless they start rolling like poop, then they get switched out for another set. Unless it's my Crit or Crap dice, then it gets another chance because it's working as intended.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

My lucky dice are whichever set I pick up first. Unless they start rolling like poop, then they get switched out for another set. Unless it's my Crit or Crap dice, then it gets another chance because it's working as intended.

You are failing to take into account all the variables. You need to consider which socks you're wearing and when you last washed them, the material the table is made of; the color of the table covering, the exterior air temperature (not interior, that's irrelevant), the right ascension of Mars, and the score in the latest game played by the NDSU Bison (which sport depends on the season).

I'd be happy to send you the 11-dimensional matrix that you can use to calculate the correct dice set (different versions for left- and right-handed gamers -- the important thing is your dominant hand, not which hand you use to throw the dice). It's pretty intuitive when you actually look at it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

You are failing to take into account all the variables. You need to consider which socks you're wearing and when you last washed them, the material the table is made of; the color of the table covering, the exterior air temperature (not interior, that's irrelevant), the right ascension of Mars, and the score in the latest game played by the NDSU Bison (which sport depends on the season).

I'd be happy to send you the 11-dimensional matrix that you can use to calculate the correct dice set (different versions for left- and right-handed gamers -- the important thing is your dominant hand, not which hand you use to throw the dice). It's pretty intuitive when you actually look at it.

I'm a wild mage, you really expect me to keep account of  all of the variables? *steamrolls through the law of probabilities*

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm a firm believer in the fact that there's no such thing as "lucky" or "unlucky" dice.

However, there's definitely "good dice" and "dice that I've met" :ph34r: Seriously, every single set of dice that I've ever owned have acted perfectly normally for their first game session, then shown their true colours in the next one. Critical fails confirmed with rolling  another 1 (happened 4 times in one session recently!), attack rolls never get above 5 and I always roll the worst possible encounter when my DM asks me to roll percentages to see if we run into anything. I keep on buying more dice in the hope that some will be nice to me, but it hasn't worked so far.

It's been happening for years, I once rolled eight 1's on eight d10 in a particularly important moment in our Exalted game. It was the start of a bad set of events that led to my Solar being turned into an Abyssal.  :zombie:

I'd like to point out that all of these dice work perfectly well for other people. None of my group want me to use their dice incase the bad luck is transferrable. I don't blame them, to be honest.

The only exception is one particular d20 that I have that utterly hates one of our playing group. It will roll a 20 roughly eighty percent of the time against him when I'm DMing. He despises it and frequently jokes about destroying it in revenge for all the trouble it's called him ::D:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, haldir said:

I have a set of "Creamsicle" Chessex dice:

chx27453.jpg

These don't care if your a player or a DM, they are pretty lethal. My players hate when I use these & a aasimar cleric I was playing failed her death saves due to a fail & a rolling a 1 on the 2nd save. :upside: (I tend not to roll them as a player, thou)

As part of 3 attacks from a creature last Monday, these consistently rolled high. Good dice.

I have the same set! Bought one set of dice last week and the D20 rolled 3 1s and 2 3s in my first 6 rolls. I looked at the store owner and said, "Give me another set of dice" He gave me these and they rolled well, so I am happy with the swap!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

See, now I think you're confusing dice for sports teams.

The 5-11 athletes on that [field|rink|court] 500 miles away definitely need me to be wearing my lucky socks if they are going to succeed!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

Question for 17 January 2020 today's victim, err, honoree  @Unruly

What is your favorite leftover for breakfast?

I don't leftover for breakfast, but my favorite saying about that is "Cold pizza and warm beer, Breakfast of Champions!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11