Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for 17 January 2020 today's victim, err, honoree  @Unruly

What is your favorite leftover for breakfast?

In the past, definitely cold pizza.

Nowadays though, dinner leftovers become the next days dinner (padded out with chips or toast if there's not enough).

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Usually if there are leftovers from dinner I will save it for lunch next day.

My breakfast is almost always greek yoghurt with fruits, nuts and seeds, maybe some honey or a sandwich.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

At current, leftover meats. I chop/shred/ball them up and put them in my breakfast ramen.

I will have to move back to no breakfast at all, though. Coffee and tea only. Need to lose some weight.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

As many have stated, few things weather the storm into breakfast as well as leftover pizza. But potato wedges from Buffalo Wild Wings come close. Toss them in a pan to reheat them, make a few eggs to go with it, maybe some shredded cheese... mmm, they're so perky, I love that.

• Like 9

Pizza

And there is no second best. Apart from pizza I detest leftovers. 

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Hint for reheating pizza: Cover the pizza in the microwave with a sheet of baking parchment (to prevent sticking), then place a wet sheet of paper towel over the whole thing. The increased humidity will much reduce the propensity of the crust to turn hard.

I do exactly the same thing but in an easier way. I fill a shot glass with water and set it on the turntable with the pizza to be reheated. 

This trick also works with any bread type baked item. 

It is strange the way it works; I wish I understood the physics. Cold pizza from fridge zapped in the microwave without the water turns out dreadful and rubbery (but the sauce and toppings are fine).

Cold pizza from fridge zapped in microwave with the water turns out breadlike and warm. Some of the water will evaporate. 

If tap water or bottled spring water is used a rime of minerals will be left on the shot glass. Using distilled water avoids most of the rime deposition. I keep a jug of distilled water on the counter for microwave cooking use. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 11

"Pro" tip for reheating pizza:

Put pizza in oven. Turn oven on to 375F. When oven announces it's finished preheating your pizza is nice and warm and soft with slight crisp to the edges and doesn't taste like microwave leather.

(I may not have access to a microwave at all and have had to improvise :ph34r:)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

"Pro" tip for reheating pizza:

Put pizza in oven. Turn oven on to 375F. When oven announces it's finished preheating your pizza is nice and warm and soft with slight crisp to the edges and doesn't taste like microwave leather.

(I may not have access to a microwave at all and have had to improvise :ph34r:)

This ^ so much this. 

But my oven made electrical short noises until I deprived it of power at the circuit box a few months ago and I have no funds to hire professionals to investigate or replace it. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Pizza.  Or leftover breakfast food.

These days, I don't have much time for breakfast so I have a breakfast bar.  It works.

When I have slightly more time, I have oatmeal.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'd personally categorize it as suboptimal, but not an atrocity, but that's just a spectrum position thing.

Hint for reheating pizza: Cover the pizza in the microwave with a sheet of baking parchment (to prevent sticking), then place a wet sheet of paper towel over the whole thing. The increased humidity will much reduce the propensity of the crust to turn hard.

:huh:

My usual issue with microwaved pizza is that the crust under the sauce/cheese/toppings goes all soggy. I favor a toaster oven for this reason. (Nonstick skillet with a cover can also work.)

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, TGP said:

I do exactly the same thing but in an easier way. I fill a shot glass with water and set it on the turntable with the pizza to be reheated. 

This is an excellent method given your circumstances.  The bread/crust absorbs and is warmed by the hot steam created by the shot glass of water.  It's a variation of a very old tried and true method for making stale bread edible again.  

10 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

:huh:

My usual issue with microwaved pizza is that the crust under the sauce/cheese/toppings goes all soggy. I favor a toaster oven for this reason. (Nonstick skillet with a cover can also work.)

Dry skillet on med-low is my preferred choice.  Get it warming up and add 1 tablespoon of water and clamp the lid down.  Steam will revive the crust and make it chewy.  Take the lid off and let it go a minute or two more to crisp up the bottom.  

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't do leftovers for breakfast. 

I don't function well in the morning when preparing food, and I don't need to set myself up for food poisoning again. 

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

we tend to keep looking for patterns until something shows up.

Yep!   It's very frustrating when doing tech support, because people "find" patterns that don't actually relate to the real problem, especially if they don't properly troubleshoot.

OTOH, that tendency can be manipulated - I've used it to "tell fortunes" for people and make predictions. 

"Thirty Five is your lucky number this week!"  

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Who the elf has leftovers? In my household there must have been a fire or similar catastrophe if all the saucepans aren't licked clean.

Mind you, 30+ years ago I'd probably have said:" Beer!"

The "barley sandwich" used to be a popular choice with the crowd I hung out with in my younger days. Now I pretty something solider. Leftovers have gotten rare with 2 teenage boys as well. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't eat leftovers for breakfast. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Good Chinese food. Or risotto. It's between those two.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't do leftovers for breakfast. Breakfast is breakfast food. Leftovers are lunch or dinner.

• Like 10