Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Good Morning! 23 January 2020! Dual, dueling Masters of the Snarky Diatribes @Doug Sundseth and @Beagle!

How often do you really, really get into a particular conversation thread?

when it is important, or funny

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Good Morning! 23 January 2020! Dual, dueling Masters of the Snarky Diatribes @Doug Sundseth and @Beagle!

Due to time constraints, I can only contribute to the occasional thread and provide what witticisms I can. This has had a severe impact on my quota of spit-takes.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Sorry @Corsair, I'm kinda losing track of the days here. Stupid migraines :unsure:

On 1/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for today, 21 January 2020, it's for @OneBoot

Not counting busts, what is the most you have ever spent on a single mini, and why?

Not that much compared to everyone else - I can never justify the cost to myself. This means my best friend gets me the bigger minis as presents because I'm "difficult to buy for" :blink:  This situation works out well for both of - I would have never gotten the PP Storm Raptor otherwise!

So probably Ma'al, I guess.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:35 AM, TGP said:

No. That would be an entirely different question. E.g: 

"Question for _________________ 2020: 

Not counting board games, what is the most expensive boxed set, or multiple figure box of minis, you have ever purchased?"

Does Bones 4 count? :poke: if not, then there's some GW army boxes that are good contenders. 

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Not often, to be honest. It's just not that combative a place here, for which I'm very grateful

Edit: Sigh, looks like the interwebz has eaten my replies to the garden visitors and movies questions. I'll answer them again later.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't know about frequency but...  there's no point in doing things by halves.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Once a week, maybe. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Wut?  No!  Coming back to this forum after an absence has been awful.  I start reading a recently updated thread from the last unread post, only to realize I hadn’t read it since last summer — and then I have to read all the way through it!  I can’t stop!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

24 January 2020 Quizzle! Stay warm @WhiteWulfe

Do you have or had a job that takes you out in the weather, or do you enjoy indoor employment?

Most of my jobs were indoors with only the long drive spent outside.

I did, however, work for a year or so for Hess pumping gas. I spent the majority of my time there outdoors in all sorts of weather.

AND I worked on a commercial tuna boat for a few summers.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Do you have or had a job that takes you out in the weather, or do you enjoy indoor employment?

I haven't really worked outdoors ever, and I'd rather not. I did work at a fast food restaurant that required me, on occasion, to hose down the parking lot or stand outside and put up the marquee letters on the sign, but I didn't work outside overall. I wouldn't want to be exposed to the elements all day if I could help it.

My first job was in a giant metal shed in the middle of Oklahoma summer, though. I went through so many bottles of water.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Corsair said:

How much more "outdoors" can you get than the middle of the ocean?

That said, I spend the majority of my working time pursuing a troglodyte existence in the bowels of the engine room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

33 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Mostly indoors. When I'm writing, I can at least see outdoors, but when I'm in studio, I have to go through at least three doors to even see a window.

That said, every once in a while I do event photography (for summer celebrations, anniversaries, tours, whatever), and those photo shoots can be outdoors.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I work indoors.  My personal office and work space doesn't even have windows or direct access to the outside.  Which is a shame, because I LOVE the outdoors. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

[Currently job-seeking, but I'll stick with my past experience.]

Occasionally yes. As a maintenance engineer, I usually spend most of my time in the office or the shop. The shop may be next to my office, or in another building altogether. Sometimes I have to go look at equipment that is outside altogether. And having worked in mostly northern environments, the weather can be unfavorable. I've worked in under -40° temperatures a few times (dressed appropriately, it's not bad).

As a mining engineer, going underground feels like being outside and indoors at the same time.

I prefer a healthy balance of both, but the past few years have been far more indoors than anything else.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11

48 minutes ago, Corsair said:

As an IT worker, I spend almost all of my employment time indoors.  Going from the office to car or vice versa doesn't really count as outdoors.

Some day, I'd like to have a work from home position where I can do my work sitting on my deck.  For all ten days of the year the weather outside is decent enough to consider it.  (This is usually in March or April, the brief respite between winter and summer, when temperatures are decent and the mosquitos haven't woken up yet.)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I'm also an IT worker, so work is indoors.  I can see windows off in the distance, although the closest ones have a lovely view of the wall of the theatre next doors. 

Instead I volunteer to stand outside for 8-12 hours at a time, waving flags at race cars and motorcycles, on my days off.

• Like 9