Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Getting to know you January 2020

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

29 January 2020 Question! Dedicated to our Mods, especially MEOW's Representative @Darsc Zacal!

How odl were you when you got into our hobby? Playing, painting, whatever?

I started playing heavier board games when I was about 20 and then started painting around 23.

• Like 12

How old were you when you got into our hobby? Playing, painting, whatever?

Introduced to wargaming with a hand-typed version of a chainmail like game, and to dragon magazines at about 9. 

Mostly played D&D until 11, then did wargaming sporadically a few years with Ral Partha & TSR figures and Testors Enamals. 

stopped painting at 17, restarted at 40. stayed with RPGs the whole time. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

29 January 2020 Question! Dedicated to our Mods, especially MEOW's Representative @Darsc Zacal!

At age 8 or 9 a city cousin introduced us to AD&D. WE had no access to anything after he went home so we designed our own version based on what we could remember and used d6 from other games. Terrible game design but we had a lot of hilarious games with it. At 12 or 13 we bought some of the actual books, a few Grenadier minis and played for a few years in school. Late high school (~1990) most of the people quit playing while me and my closest friend switched over to FASA and GW games and went more for the minis than the rpgs.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, TGP said:

That one has a yellow color ^ band on its left foot. Was it part of a flock (if that’s the correct collective noun?) that is endangered or being studied?

They are a protected species, but not endangered. The locals told us we were quite lucky that they did not eat our bootlaces. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Why do they go after weather stripping?  It does not seem foodlike. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

Why do they go after weather stripping?  It does not seem foodlike. 

Because the lug nuts are too hard to turn? ::D:

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

My best friend from high school had gotten into car models around 90-91, and up visiting him I bought my first mini on a whim, Huma on a silver dragon:
Image result for huma on a silver dragon

It is still in the box, partly build.

I would LOVE to see that built. Honestly, if it wasn't for Dragonlance, I don't think my love for fantasy and this hobby would exist. Many people had Middle-Earth as their first fantasy intro, but for me it was the world of Krynn.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I was 10 or 11 when I got a D&D The Goblin's Lair boxed set for myself (which actually had githyanki on it). In my 20's I found a group to play D&D with, and I bought a lot of WotC D&D prepaints for myself. Around 2005 I found pro-painted Reaper figures and bought them, then got a couple figures, a brush, one blue paint...........and then promptly forgot about them for years. In 2013 I watched Bones 2 kickstarter with my wife when she was in palliative care, and when Bones 3 came around I bought into it. After that I realized that I was going to have to learn to paint if I was going to be getting so many figures, so I started on a few kobolds from Reaper and went on from there.

• Like 14

I don't remember for sure (this was a long time ago; the dinosaurs had just gone extinct), so I'm going with 7 or 8. 'Helping' dad work on his HO scale train layout.

I don't remember for sure (this was a long time ago; the dinosaurs had just gone extinct), so I'm going with 7 or 8. 'Helping' dad work on his HO scale train layout.

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Epic double post @Chaoswolf

9 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:
11 hours ago, Corsair said:

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

And they merged.....!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It was a good year.

My dad bought me my first plastic model, a 1/72 scale A-10 Warthog.  I discovered Star Blazers on television. And a school-mate introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons (magenta box).

Miniatures came later, at Christmas of 1988.  I had finally found a group outside of school-friends to play with, and as I could drive I was able to actually go to other people's houses in order to play.  One of the players painted minis, and I was . . . less than impressed by his creations.  Certainly, I could do better.  So, I asked for the Ral Partha Learn to Paint kit for Christmas.  Got it.  Went down the rabbit hole of painting.

I'm still painting 32 years later.  I'm still playing D&D (although I use Swords & Wizardry now), so 38 years of gaming. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I really want to go to South America, Australia and New Zealand, mostly for the wildlife. I'd love to see if Quokkas and Keas are as adorable in real life.

0b92e2f32090adb38fc51da0673f0c38?width=1

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

0b92e2f32090adb38fc51da0673f0c38?width=1

Not sure what this look is. ^ Not going to file it under adorable....considering abominable. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Corsair said:

I will resist the temptation to go into a long, touching story of my boyhood. I got involved with gaming (historical), AND, more importantly, converting (Britains Ltd minis into 18th century soldiers back then) & painting the Winter prior to my sixteenth birthday. The gaming has disappeared, but I still am a converter & painter. True love endures.

• Like 10