Getting to know you January 2020

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

Question for 3 January 2020, inspired by @knarthex,

Have you ever served, or are you now active in your Nation's Military?

[And thank you to all who have served]

Yes. 20 years in the U.S. Navy. I didn't love every minute of it, but overall I enjoyed it, and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I still miss it from time to time, and I'd go back if they'd have me.

I'm very proud of the work I did, and the things I accomplished.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope.  not a chance. I was rabidly anti-military when young. 

growing up on a diet of MASH and Catch-22, along with family stories of vietnam.

I have mellowed in age, and actually knowing people who did not regret serving. 

• Like 9
18 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope - Tried to join the RAAF after high school, passed everything except failed the medical due to my eyesight (specifically the astigmatism in my left eye - basically doubles the prescription on that eye). I was in the Air Training Corps during high school though.

My maternal grandfather was in the RAAF during WW2 as bomber crew. According to the stories my paternal grandfather spent most of WW2 in a internment camps in Spain and France after running away from Nazi-occupied the Netherlands and 'losing' his papers.

• Like 10
15 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Questions for January 4, 2020 dedicated today to @LittleBluberry

What was your favorite Mom [or Dad] memory?

I'm going to go with dad memory, and when we were swapping the engine out on my old Corolla.  Well, okay, this memory is specifically regarding us trying to get the axles out.  You see, old cars that have bolts on the wheel hubs tend to rust up over time, something about how they're almost never touched.  Well, short version is none of either of our breaker bars worked, even with both of us reefing on them... 

So dad got one of his BIG torque wrenches that are used for tightening the bolts on the main rotor for helicopters.  We're talking a six foot long torque wrench here. 

Anyways, even after having used a whole can of anti-seize on this one bolt, it just wouldn't let go...  Until about five minutes of work on it with this torque wrench, where the bolt FINALLY broke free with a crack so loud we both thought the main threads of the body had cracked.  Nope, there was just that much rust. 

Dad didn't mind using the wrench as a breaker bar, because he had to send it in to be calibrated anyways, and both of us were at our wits end anyways... 

I probably have pics somewhere of that torque wrench laid across the front of the engine bay of that old car... 

15 minutes ago, Corsair said:

And for January 5, 2020 dedicated to @Zink

What have you caught yourself saying, that made you go "I've just become my Dad [or Mom]?"

I may say "in my generation" and have for over two decades, but I don't compare myself to my parents.  They're themselves, and I'm myself. 

• Like 11

Favorite Dad memory.  My younger sister had a VW bug in the 70's. She blew an engine. My dad would go out to my Grandmother's chicken coop at night after work in the winter and rebuild the engine.  I helped when I could but I worked nights mainly.  After it was rebuilt and working better than it had before it again went bad.  He noticed that there was gas in the oil.  The oil was so diluted with gas that it was not lubricating the engine.  Hitting the books he found out that the carburetor on the engine had a heater so that when the gas was atomized it did not cool when it hit the throat of the carburetor, go back to a liquid and run down the rings to the oil pan.  He rebuilt it again and replaced the broken heater.  After that she had no trouble.  He could have used google then to find the problem.

• Like 14
51 minutes ago, Corsair said:

What have you caught yourself saying, that made you go "I've just become my Dad [or Mom]?"

Favorite Memory - The talks I had with them.

I realise I became like them when I preach to the girls to be safe when they go out.

• Like 13

Favorite Mom Memory -  talking.  Usually in the car, or while she cooked and I built things from modeling clay in the kitchen.

Politics, Science, Social theory, philosophy, books, literary theory ...  I still talk to her on the phone once a month and if the call lasts less than an hour, we didn't finish or conversation.  Actual family news/life events is brushed through quickly, and gotten out of the way. 

Favorite Dad Memory.  - not talking.  My dad took me fishing once, to the pond in the middle of the farm.  We each created a homemade fishing poll, stringing it with line and putting on hooks, figuring to dig worms when we got there.  We both planted our polls and he wandered around looking at flowers and moss, while I sat with a book. 

"Fishing" lasted close to 3 hours on a warm summer day and both of us walked home happy.  

he has since taken both my kids fishing.  Elder spawn brought a book, minispawn came back with stories of plants and insects. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

#1 Hard to pick one. We were very close, living in the same house and working together for years. I've always been the one who was there for them. Mostly I just liked that we could sit and talk about anything. With dad the talks were mostly about things he experienced in his life, growing up in the 30s and war years of the 40s and how everything went from horses to modern technology. With mom it was lots of history.

#2 Technology. 15 years ago I was up on gadgets and computers. Didn't own a lot but knew what there was and how to use them. Now it's getting more and more difficult for me and some things like google home/alexa, smart phones up everyone's [email protected]#$ are annoying me. I keep saying in another 20 years I'll be like dad and barely be able to turn on the tv.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I remember being a little boy of seven or so driving into see my Grandma  & singing Side by Side with my Mom.

About the only resemblance to either of my parents is that, like my Dad, I leave my blood in everything I do.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I still remember the time that my Dad and I swapped out 4 combine engines in 2 days with nothing but a wrench and a plank.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1
5 hours ago, Corsair said:

Favorite mom memory: We were living in Germany about 20 years ago. We had moved there at the start of summer (dad had been there a few months before) and neither mom nor I spoke much German, but we were in language classes for the summer. While we were out doing our weekly shopping one Saturday morning, my mom had her head down, just walking along the sidewalk in the crowd, when she found her path blocked by a newsman shoving a microphone into her face, asking her a question. My mom stared blankly for a second, then stated she didn't speak German and hustled past him. The one flaw: she told him she didn't speak the language in German, then said nothing else. This proceeded to leave the newsman bewildered, and to start shouting the equivalent of "bullpoop" at her as we hastily made our getaway. Still makes me smile.

Favorite dad memory: It was New Year's Eve about 15 years ago. My dad, based on the previous NYE attendance, had purchased a large bottle of champagne for the NY toast... except it ended up being just him and me (mom was asleep, siblings didn't come over). So he and I ended up toasting, and then decided we couldn't just leave the bottle overnight, so we finished it off. My memory gets a bit hazy after this, but somehow we ended up watching the movie Stroker Ace with Burt Reynolds, emptying the dishwasher, dropping all of the silverware onto the floor, laughing our butts off, and handwashing the silverware. That's all I recall. Best NYE of the 2000-2010 decade.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Corsair said:

*Favourite Dad memory is coding computer games on the good old Commodore64 (I was 6)

*Favourite Mum memory is of being with her when she did her errands and then she would decide to grab something sweet and I'd get a chocolate or a pastry for having just come along.

I caught myself saying "No you can't have any dessert until you finish your Pizza!" which to be fair was a far far more corrupt version of my Mum's "No dessert until you finish your dinner!"

Honestly though the strangest thing is hearing myself echoed back at me from my daughter "Oh! No no no sweetie I just would much prefer it if you ate that while standing over the tiles, not on the carpet please!"

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Corsair said:

#1 - My favorite memory is for both parents, from our trip to Norway.  We drove there from Denmark, met up with my uncle's and stayed in a cabin near a tiny town.  I got to watch my parents act like people, not just parents, which was a new thing for me.  My dad was teasing his brothers, my mom was keen to go see all the Viking churches, it was great fun.

#2 - I can hear my mother's voice every time I tell one of my kids to put on a sweater or a jacket.  Doesn't stop me from saying it, though, it feels like the right mom thing to say.  :upside:

• Like 11