Sign in to follow this  
Venun

Pouring Valejo Still Water

I'm new to the whole water effect in the bases. Now I've used it in the past, but my problem right now is I need to close the border of the base with water.

it's going to be a swamp, with mud, plants and stuff near the middle, and some water on the sides, indicating they're in the middle of all of it.

I guess the main question is: what do I use to create the outer edge for the still water to cure in..?

I've tried ductape, this was a horrific no-no, it leaked through, went to the sides, didn't keep form.

Any tips..?

• Like 1

I don't know Vallejo water effects, so I don't know if this is helpful, but PLASMO - Plastic Models had to do a similar thing with his abandoned KV-2 diorama and a clear resin mix as water. He used, if I understood correctly, acrylic glass.

Check out here: https://youtu.be/4P5GSDNpExQ?list=PL4CTPuZfjAPv74Ptt70tF99yE1TUP3C-Z

• Thanks 1

It's the version of water effects to dab on, like they're waves. Mine is still water. it pours, it's liquid.

The problem is, if I pour it at the side it just goes right off. Tape wasn't strong enough to hold it in position (Or i didn't apply it right).

In the video you linked I don't see him using any liquid water effects that need to be contained, although I do appreciate your reply!

edit: ah there! Found what you mean, thanks! :) Unfortunately my base is an oval, can't use this solution :(

Edited by Venun

Oh I see - I didn't know that.

Do you have got a picture of the base? Maybe we can think of something else, but it's hard to give an advice if I don't know what I have to consider.

• Thanks 1

I'll add one when I'm at home =) Basically it's an oval base with a troll stuck in the middle on an elevated part (the original base that came with Reaper).

The sides I'd like to add water to, if possible. but I'm starting to realise this might become hard :p haha

You could use modelling wax. Polish the inside before you wrap it around, and crimp it underneath the base so the resin doesn't leak out.

I think it likely that however you do it, you'll probably end up having to sand and polish the edges, so you'll have to repaint the base edge.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for my late response. I see the problem now.

Well, if you still want to go using Vallejo still water, I just thought - do it like PLASMO, but instead of acrylic glass, maybe use some kind of putty to achieve a containment for the water.

I'm not sure if it will work, but that's the only thing I can think of when you want to use the Vallejo product on such a tiny and delicate piece.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm

A great tip we got in a ReaperCon water effects class was -- Vaseline.   Build some sort of coffer -- you could use thin sheet styrene -- and, before you slip the coffer onto the base, slime a thick coat of Vaseline around the base.  It will act as an impermeable barrier.

It will require cleanup.

• Like 2

For a small piece like that, I'd be tempted to try* just pushing the base down into putty or clay, then pouring the water effect fluid. The putty/clay** should flow up around the base and seal the edges pretty well, though you might need some serious cleanup on the edges. 

* Note: This is not something I have tried, but it's where I would start.

** Silly putty, being a silicone putty, is pretty good about not sticking to stuff and it's not soluble in most of the things that might be in that kind of fluid.

• Like 2

Thanks for the helpfull comments all :)
I've poured abit in with tape on the sides earlier. Despite it flowing out all over and being a fiasco, it did leave some water effects.

Sure it's not the deep water I've been aiming for at the start, but it does give the idea of a mucky swamp.

I might keep it as it is. But lessons learned for a next time, and experiments with 3:1 Epoxy will start aswell when they arrive, this might be better fit for this kind of effect :) 

• Like 2

Might be too late but Luke Towan (makes AMAZING dioramas on YT) just uses masking tape and then paints some Elmer's Glue around the edges of the tape to protect from leaking.  

Although I have never seen him do it on a small rounded base so not sure how well it will work. 

• Like 2