Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

January free mini of the month

I hope I don’t sound negative (because I appreciate any company that gives away free stuff) but:

1. as someone new to the miniature painting hobby, I was planning on spending literally hundreds of dollars on paint sets and kits and figures and so on at reapermini.com over the next few months; but

2. I only became interested in Reaper because of their Bones Black products; and

3. I thought those products would still be available with the promotion this year (otherwise I would have tried to buy some stuff last year); so

4. I’m disappointed that the promotion is now solely limited to items that don’t interest me; and, perversely

5. I have started wondering if I need to get as much paint and figures up front as I’d originally planned. 

So even though I hate myself for it (It’s free stuff! What do I have to complain about?) I think I’m an example of what PaganMegan was sort of alluding to in that a promotion can backfire and either slow or even cost sales. 

I wish they’d at least have kept the last few months of Bones Black items in the promotion until they were rotated out. That’s what I thought was going to happen. 

7 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

I hope I don’t sound negative (because I appreciate any company that gives away free stuff) but:

3. I thought those products would still be available with the promotion this year (otherwise I would have tried to buy some stuff last year); so

It's not a promotion but Reaper is releasing Bones Black figures into the store every month.  So there will be plenty of those available on an ongoing basis. 

Reaper is known for changing stuff up every now and then. Don't count on something they did last year being the same this year, or next year.  They regularly change promotions and offers. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also consider that the metal minis are the ones usually considered the premium, so Reaper is not trying to cheapen their giveaways. I do like the variety of choices because I am not a fantasy player, so I am hoping for Chronoscope and Savage Worlds to show up soon.

• Like 3

I strongly prefer metal minis. Bones are what I use for practice and random gaming figures. The metal figures are much more of an incentive for me to purchase.

And with the RSPCA promotion coming up next week, it looks like that's going to get started very soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kalibak said:

1. as someone new to the miniature painting hobby, I was planning on spending literally hundreds of dollars on paint sets and kits and figures and so on at reapermini.com over the next few months; but

2. I only became interested in Reaper because of their Bones Black products; and

4. I’m disappointed that the promotion is now solely limited to items that don’t interest me; and, perversely

5. I have started wondering if I need to get as much paint and figures up front as I’d originally planned. 

So even though I hate myself for it (It’s free stuff! What do I have to complain about?) I think I’m an example of what PaganMegan was sort of alluding to in that a promotion can backfire and either slow or even cost sales. 

I wish they’d at least have kept the last few months of Bones Black items in the promotion until they were rotated out. That’s what I thought was going to happen. 

So Reaper lost me as a customer for a good chunk of last year becuase I could care less about Bones Black, not everything revolves around your interests. Also I did not intend for that to sound harsh....internet!

• Thanks 1

I too am not as impressed so far with the free mini of the month changes. I do like bones black, and prefer metal. Old bones material just doesn’t do it for me. Out of the 12 minis you can get for a $40 purchase in January, only the new barbarian interests me. Has it prevented me from buying minis? Not yet, as I wasn’t planning on purchasing any in January. Will it prevent me from buying in the future. Possibly, if I don’t like the free mini choices, I will postpone my purchase until I get a freebie I want. I like having a new release to select from so maybe only 1 of the 12 will interest me. The rest seem to be recycled minis from the past.

I don’t mind them trying new things, especially when it’s a freebie. Sometimes you gotta test the waters. I do hope that they are watching this promo closely as it seems more people are unhappy about the changes than vice versa. Then again most will say nothing unless they want to complain. I’m sure they’re looking at sales more than the complaints on the forum, as they should. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crissair said:

. The rest seem to be recycled minis from the past.

All but thr barbarian are previous metal releases over the years. Heck Warlord was barely a game with some of them.

I agree about the promo this year but hey more cash towards other gaming items.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, Gadgetman! said:

I have 4 of the Efreet, 4 of Tara, and a few of the other females also. 

I got so many because to get the special minis you usually have to order from the US site, and shipping across the pond is expensive, so I haven't bothered with orders less than at least $80 to somewhat offset it. 

But since this month's offer is something I can skip(any awesome females in there can be bought at any time if I don't already have them), I'm going for something I've wanted for a long time; a Sherline 5510 vertical mill. (just shipping for that is $250... )  

Unless Reaper comes up with a really, really good offer, such as recasts of 01599, the 12" resin cast of Sophie, I probably won't have to live on bread and water the rest of the year...  

So, you benefit from run of the mill? ::P:

• Haha 3

I think I am just biased in favor of Bones Black. I seem to be painting my way through them faster than Bones and metal put together. ::):

They are my happy place for minis.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

So, you benefit from run of the mill? ::P:

Aaaaaargh!

I can't come up with a snappy retort. 

Bones Black is easier to paint than metal. 

Mostly because it's larger than the metal counterparts, but also because it has the 'eh, it's bones, if I elf this up I can just get a few more'. Really lowers the treshold. 

• Like 3

The UK store (ordering from EU) seems to still have the january freebies up. But only two figures, I guess the rest is out of stock. Any plan when it will switch over to the February minis?