stripping enamel paint off plastics

blefuscu

Hello,

i need to strip an enamel based paint (krylon) off some plastic models and figures and i've narrowed it down to easy off, castrol clean, and brake fluid based on research from dr. faust and other sites.

the thing is, most places only mention acrylic paints, so i dunno if these have any effect on them. i currently use simple green and it works great on removing acrylics off plastics (it seems to strip enamels off metal minis fine), but is useless on plastics with enamels.

Any have expereince with these?

thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmm I have never had to strip enamels off plastics but I would think that most products strong enough to do this would probably be bad for the plastic. IE: Melt it!

You may need to try several different things on some throw away models.

Sorry I couldn't help!

Castrol Super Clean (purple plastic bottle) won't harm plastics, not even clear plastic

so just fill up a PLASTIC sealable container with the stuff, then toss the plastics in & let it sit for a couple days, then you can just get a toothbrush & some water & they come out clean (depends on how long you let them sit in the fluid.

I have to do this all the time in my nascar model cars, I use lacquers & some enemals on those so I'm talking expereince here!!! ha ha

Also defeintly use a plastic container to fill, cause CSC will react with the metal.

Good luck

Randy M

stripping paint thread 1

stripping paint thread 2

stripping paint thread 3

stripping paint thread 4

stripping paint thread 5

based on a quick read through of these while compiling the urls, I'd say acetone or brake fluid are the best options for your situation.

please do double check for yourself as I am often known to be wrong.

cher ^_^

ELO works very well for stripping plastic. I've used it before, but be careful: letting the plastic parks "soak" in hope for increased effectiveness is NOT an option. After about a week the solvent attacks the plastic and causes it to soften (like taffy) and shrivel up...

Damon.

Acetone will destroy plastics. Brake fluid won't.

Still, I doubt there's anything that can remove enamels from plastics, especially if they were thinned down before applying (the solvent used to thin enamel usually causes it to bond to the plastic)

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Looking thru the old posts ladystorm found, anyone else have tried Chameleon (Ihttp://www.chameleonproductsonline.com) or Natural Turpenoid?

Randy, i might go for the brake fluid... after reading all those posts about the problems with disposal, i'm a little hesistant. but i'm glad that there is something that works, so i may fall back on it.

based on a quick read through of these while compiling the urls, I'd say acetone or brake fluid are the best options for your situation.

guys,

trust me CSC is safer then both those options & it more effective then brake fluid, less messy too. All you have to use is plastic gloves for hands, as CSC will dry out the moisture in your hand (but then most chemicals do), some fresh air & toothbrush, also some running water to wash away the paint & some time in soaking. Simple very simple I use this stuff all the time on paint & plastics.

Also CSC is biodegradeable, just filter out the gunk & then dump the rest down the drain, even says it on the bottle that it's BIOD.

Randy M

::D:

if you let them sit, the paint can just peel off (depends on the surface area thou) on cars with big areas, this is handy)

Also what brand is your enamels?? If it's Testor's then you'll be happy to know that fresh CSC loves that junk!!! Easiest one to strip. Also CSC will lose it punch if not covered up (thus the reason for a sealed container)

Good luck, once you've tried it you'll be glad you did, my model freinds & I refer to it as the Purple Lake or Lake Castrol as in, paint job sucks so it had to take a dip in Lake Castrol, we all know what he's talkin about.

One more thing to consider, don't use it with metal, as metal reacts with CSC, did some minis & it turned them a dull greyish color. I also know that nasty thing can occur with sealed metal containers as well.