Sign in to follow this  
ReaperAHawk

ReaperCon 2020 Hotels

4 hours ago, edz16 said:

So the con center still has rooms, just not on the block.  Heres the difference:

block price: $129

non-block price: $274

hard pass for me.  I got i to one of the last rooms at the Fairfield for the con price of $99 by calling them directly.  

I am seeing rooms available at the AAA rate of $215. 

Is still a huge price difference, but if people are considering going rogue (i.e. outside the block), you could buy a AAA membership and still be money ahead to buy a lot of paint and minis at the 'con!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoxe said:

I am seeing rooms available at the AAA rate of $215. 

Is still a huge price difference, but if people are considering going rogue (i.e. outside the block), you could buy a AAA membership and still be money ahead to buy a lot of paint and minis at the 'con!!!!

Depending on the room, you may or may not get breakfast for free + unless Reaper extends the goodie bag offer, your out of that as well. Still it's a option.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReaperAHawk said:

This is what I see when I click the link. It says Sept. 1 - 8 valid dates for Con rate

image.thumb.png.675f8f6ced9e024083c7e27c162d99ff.png

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

@ReaperAHawk  this is what is showing on the Hilton site you originally linked to: 

reapr1.thumb.jpg.13e32edf82f28c5140da2c1a8809c3a1.jpg

The dates Sept 6-12 clearly marked as RCON 2020 rate. 

It looks like the difference is between the mobile and non-mobile versions. When I poked around more in the mobile version, it was also showing dates Before the ReaperCon time slot as available at the con price, so there's some sort of disconnect on Hilton's end. 

That aside, how will the block being sold out affect instructors that qualify for lodging coverage? 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, haldir said:

Depending on the room, you may or may not get breakfast for free + unless Reaper extends the goodie bag offer, your out of that as well. Still it's a option.

Goodie bag is a good point, but Embassy Suites does free breakfast regardless, so at least that's still on the table.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, haldir said:

19 minutes ago, leolson79 said:

Goodie bag is a good point, but Embassy Suites does free breakfast regardless, so at least that's still on the table.

Is the hotel goodie bag supposed to be given out only to guests that book a discounted room?  I thought they were for all attendees that are staying at the hotel.

I booked a room without the discount code last year and had Con passes for my whole family.  The hotel staff asked if we were there for ReaperCon, and when I said we were they gave all 4 of us goodie bags.

Were they not supposed to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubegon said:

Is the hotel goodie bag supposed to be given out only to guests that book a discounted room?  I thought they were for all attendees that are staying at the hotel.

I booked a room without the discount code last year and had Con passes for my whole family.  The hotel staff asked if we were there for ReaperCon, and when I said we were they gave all 4 of us goodie bags.

Were they not supposed to?

Generally, it was for guests at the Con hotel. I know for sure the first year at the Embassy the off-site hotel chosen by Reaper didn't get the bag (initially at least). That policy may have changed over the years. Again, it could be for ALL at the Embassy attending ReaperCon & just not because they booked via the Reaper link. Still something to think about, if you want the bag.

• Like 1

we are thinking of getting me a room at normal prices for thursday and friday so that i can attend classes and teach classes without having him take off work to drive me there. So he can work those days normally. saturday and sunday we'll drive up from home. he's only getting a weekend pass this year, so that's saving us a bit

• Like 2

Has anyone from Reaper actually confirmed that there are plans or discussions to open a new block of rooms at the Hilton at the discounted price? Or is it just speculation among forumites at this point based on things that might have happened in previous years?

I need to know how much time I have to devote to monitoring these forums and Facebook and so on for a possible announcement or whether I should start trying to think of another accommodation plan. 

Edited by Kalibak
Clarify hotel.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

Has anyone from Reaper actually confirmed that there are plans or discussions to open a new block of rooms at the discounted price? Or is it just speculation among forumites at this point based on things that might have happened in previous years?

I need to know how much time I have to devote to monitoring these forums and Facebook and so on for a possible announcement or whether I should start trying to think of another accommodation plan. 

there was an official employee response on facebook

Nick Martin Rooms went quick. I hope they open some more up =(
Hide or report thReaperCon
ReaperCon Yes we are working on it
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

Has anyone from Reaper actually confirmed that there are plans or discussions to open a new block of rooms at the Hilton at the discounted price? Or is it just speculation among forumites at this point based on things that might have happened in previous years?

I haven’t seen anyone from Reaper say that they might get more rooms at the Embassy Suites except for that FB comment on Friday.

ReaperAHawk said today that “All of our rooms for the ReaperCon rate at the Embassy suites are sold out.  We are sorry”.

It sounds like the rate at which rooms were booked far exceeded previous years.  I’m wondering what that might say about attendance and if they’re thinking about limiting how many Con passes they will sell.  There is a fire code limit to how many people they can have in the ballroom.  Maybe con passes will sell out too?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rubegon said:

It sounds like the rate at which rooms were booked far exceeded previous years.  I’m wondering what that might say about attendance and if they’re thinking about limiting how many Con passes they will sell.  There is a fire code limit to how many people they can have in the ballroom.  Maybe con passes will sell out too?

With classes and games spread out over two floors of the hotel all day I'm not worried about how many people will fit into the ball room.  Reapercon is pretty spread out, not everyone sits and paints or attends the awards.  I think the limiting factor is being able to get a room for 4 nights that won't break the bank. 

• Like 4

^ That’s definitely the case for me. If it happens, this will be my first ReaperCon; but between the classes, VIP pass, travel and any on-site purchases that might tempt me, I need to get one of theses discounted rooms for it to be affordable. 

• Like 2

There are 318 rooms in the hotel, even if hilton requires a 10% walk up hold back, that would still be 286 rooms i would hope they would make available for the convention.  UNT has a home game that weekend, so it's also possible a lot of those rooms were booked for that before the block opened..

• Like 1

A home game? Oof. Still, may be a more affable crew than a wedding party. Depending on game outcome, I suppose. 

On top of that, there’s a dilemma. If people keep booking rooms at the higher rate, if I were the manager, I’d be less inclined to release a block at a lower rate. Why give up a bit of profit, and make my numbers better? But if I’m a con goer, do I dare stand my ground on the hopes that said manager would rather fill rooms than risk a better payday, and will have more affordable rooms later with a new block?

I have never managed a hotel. I have no idea how that actually works. But it keeps gnawing at me. 

• Like 2

i just hope this isn't the future of ReaperCon, with every year the hotel block being taken within an hour and everyone else left figuring out what to do if they want to attend

• Like 5