Sign in to follow this  
ReaperAHawk

ReaperCon 2020 Hotels

It seems like it’s growing faster than expected.  Last year I think they said there were about 1500 attendees, up from around 1100 (?) the year before.

Reaper is going to have to do something if it’s going to stay at the Embassy Suites for a few more years as planned.  Maybe they’ll be able to negotiate with the hotel to block out all of the rooms except for the 10%, maybe at a slightly less discounted rate.

• Like 1

^ That’s what I don’t understand. How does something go from selling out over the course of a few months in 2019 to selling out in less than an hour the very next year. That’s an increase in popularity of about a million percent!* Has Reaper really gained that many new fans in the past 12 months?

I must admit though that I had never even heard of Reaper until I saw their Kickstarter for Bones V about 2 months ago, so I actually AM one of those new fans. LOL So maybe there are a lot more people like me out there than I realized? Curse us all! LOL

* Maths may or may not add up. 

Edited by Kalibak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

^ That’s what I don’t understand. How does something go from selling out over the course of a few months in 2019 to selling out in less than an hour the very next year. That’s an increase in popularity of about a million percent!* Has Reaper really gained that many new fans in the past 12 months?

I must admit though that I had never even heard of Reaper until I saw their Kickstarter for Bones V about 2 months ago, so I actually AM one of those new fans. LOL So maybe there are a lot more people like me out there than I realized? Curse us all! LOL

* Maths may or may not add up. 

I think what happened was that people saw the hotel selling out earlier each year, even though there wasn't much advertising. So the veterans were more primed to get a room early this year than previously.

Then this year there was a very big kickstarter project, which brought in a bunch of new people. And enough of the new people from the last couple of years had fun and were reminded by the KS project.

And then Reaper actually advertised the opening of the hotel block with several weeks notice and wide dissemination.

So quite a few more people, more incentive for veterans, and better advertising meant a bit of a perfect storm.

I'm actually pretty worried about class ticket availability this year. I'm not even planning to take any classes this year and I'm planning to teach more than last year too. But if we get 40% - 50% more attendees again this year, it's going to be tight, especially if they sell classes the same way as last year.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

Has Reaper really gained that many new fans in the past 12 months?

Well, the Con attendance rate has grown a huge amount just in between Kickstarters without a whole lot new going on - and now you have everyone new from Bones V like yourself plus all the new engagement Reaper has been doing on things like Twitch.  

I have a confident bet on attendance, for those of you who know my track record with predictions.  I'm very confident to say that I think this year will be over 3,000 attendees.  3k+ is my solid call and I'm sticking by it.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I have a confident bet on attendance, for those of you who know my track record with predictions.  I'm very confident to say that I think this year will be over 3,000 attendees.  3k+ is my solid call and I'm sticking by it.

Aaack!!

You know how I said I was worried? I'm now pretty sure I wasn't worried enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

Aaack!!

You know how I said I was worried? I'm now pretty sure I wasn't worried enough.

That's the raw panic of a man who knows my track record is pretty good.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Well, the Con attendance rate has grown a huge amount just in between Kickstarters without a whole lot new going on - and now you have everyone new from Bones V like yourself plus all the new engagement Reaper has been doing on things like Twitch.  

That sounds about right to me.

It like Reaper really caught on the last year.  The first day of the KS was massive.  I think the only reason it didn’t raise over $4M is that Reaper made it very clear to people that had a year to add more in the PM after (where they wouldn’t have to give KS a cut).

I checked the capacity of the Embassy Suites ballroom.  It can handle a lot more people if they set it up in “auditorium” configuration with rows of seats.  They might have to start doing that for awards and auctions and move the tables where people hang out to smaller conference rooms.  It’s going to be pretty crowded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kalibak said:

Bones V brought me from only loosely aware of the company's existence to being a rabid fan and RC attendee... in the span of a few months. But it's not just B5, it's the exposure to what is clearly an awesome community within an awesome hobby. Seems like it's gonna be a blast. Hope us newbies aren't too annoying to the long timers ;)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Joshinminn said:

Bones V brought me from only loosely aware of the company's existence to being a rabid fan and RC attendee... in the span of a few months. But it's not just B5, it's the exposure to what is clearly an awesome community within an awesome hobby. Seems like it's gonna be a blast. Hope us newbies aren't too annoying to the long timers ;)

Nah. But your first Reapercon is probably going to leave you mildly brain-fried and wondering just what all you missed trying to do all the things. ^^;

Do drop in at the Hobby Hijinks corner. And pester the artists; they love to talk about their stuff. 

• Like 5

I did get lucky enough to grab a room early while the block was still open, while I was at work.  Normally I wait a few days or weeks to book.  Im glad I got the room, but I also realize that this may not be the case in future years.  The simple truth is, Reapercon is awesome, and has turned the corner from being a small convention into a large convention.  I agree with Buglips, 3k is very likely.  with those kind of numbers, its the same as any large convention, no hotel is going to house everyone.  Last time I went to Origins for example, I was about 30 minutes away.  that con has 10k or better every year and sells out multiple hotel's blocks.  Adepticon and Gencon are the same way.  I can certainly understand the shock of selling out this fast and the frustration of some folks who really wanted to stay at that hotel, but lets not forget why that frustration is there.  Its because Reapercon IS so amazing.  Lets keep it that way, not just for the benefit of the veterans, but to welcome our new folks.  Also don't forget that prior to the Embassy venue, the con was not at the hotel anyway and we all had to bus in every day.  In my opinion this shouldn't be viewed as some failure by Reaper, but rejoiced as a job well done on growing what is in my opinion the best convention of the year.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

the few years it was at the convention hall were also the reapercons i had the least amount of fun at and didn't enjoy at all, and actually felt like i wasted my money going. so i don't think of staying outside the con hotel fondly. 

i am glad Reaper is doing well, but i am not rejoicing. staying at the convention hotel was immensely fun last year, and i am not looking forward to having to drive every day, missing classes 

then again i probably won't get classes anyway this year based on how the hotel tickets sold

so no hotel, probably no classes, my reasons for attending reapercon dwindle more and more. it's not like i ever got to do the social aspect of it, the forum tables were always too packed for me to join in, so i guess now for me it's just the art contest and teaching a couple of classes

You make valid points and I hope things work out better for you than it looks right now.  last year, classes booked out very fast but later some spots opened as folks had chnages to their plans.  perhaps you will get lucky on a room as well.  keep checking. 

I have a different outlook about the previous venue, I had a great time, but it was a different kind of great time.  I was in the overflow hotel the last year of the Lewisville venue with a lot of others and we still had a blast every night hanging out in that hotel.

I am also an instructor and I can certainly relate to some of the points you are making here, and I fully respect your opinion, but Im simply trying to say, this kind of situation happens at all large conventions.  You are correct in saying classes will also sell very fast.  I truly hope you get the ones your wanting. 

I don't believe we have officially met, but I believe that your classes are well received by those that take them.  I hope that you don't let this situation ruin the fun for you and the enjoyment of your class attendees.  

• Like 2