Sign in to follow this  
ReaperAHawk

ReaperCon 2020 Hotels

That makes sense.  I feel the same about Origins and Gencon...  at 10 to 15k people, with staying 30 to 45 minutes away... those are just simply way to big for my tastes.  Other folks love it.  I am going to make it a point to come introduce myself this year. 

6 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

...for now it's staying at the hotel, it may be classes selling out before i can get them, but how much longer before it's VIp tickets sold out before i get one, or Con tickets entirely? just a saddening thought

yep, my wife and talked about that last night.  VIP will definitely sell out fast as well as class tickets.  As she's not an instructor, we will need to be all over that.  As for general badges, thats less of a concern, but yeah a possibility.  

Edited by LordDave
  • Like 1

One thing one of our fellow Forumites mentioned was anxiety around large groups of people. I am the most laid back person you will meet. If you are feeling stressed and need a barrier to just be quiet in a corner, find me! At 6'3" and 300+ ponds I am easy to spot and will write Corsair on my nametag.

• Like 7

Not an ideal solution, of course, but there are several other hotels within half a mile of the Embassy Suites, along the frontage road on the west side of I-35. Probably best if you have your own vehicle, but all is not lost if you can't get into either of the official hotels.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i know it happens at large conventions, and that Reapercon is becoming one. I'm just lamenting it, because as it grows larger, i will probably cease attending eventually. Just how it goes. Once all the things i enjoy doing are sold out too fast for me to even do, the cost of going isn't going to be as worth it

for now it's staying at the hotel, it may be classes selling out before i can get them, but how much longer before it's VIp tickets sold out before i get one, or Con tickets entirely? just a saddening thought

I know this is slightly off topic, but I totally empathize. Like @Corsair mentioned, one of the things I loved about ReaperCon was how low-key it was. I have social anxiety in large groups, and ReaperCon was manageable. I also feel like artists were pretty open and available to talk to and just shoot the breeze. Especially on Wednesday where it was almost a ghost town.

While ReaperCon is growing, which is good, I think it is slowly becoming another mega-con where you are just another nameless person amongst a sea of people. Which is the sad part of "growing up", because it is losing the part that made it distinctly identafiable - lots of fun and art without being completely oversaturated.

Classes and events are going to have to scale with demand; so increasing the instructors and have more slots, otherwise as you mentioned, only the very lucky few will be able to get them.

In business, sometimes sudden success can be just as bitter as failure.

• Like 3

Question regarding booking the hotel and classes:

Do you have to pay the full amount for each up front (at time of booking) or do they just take a percentage or something until a later date? If so, how much? 

Thanks. 

(On the slim chance I am online if/when they reopen some rooms and classes, I’m concerned I won’t have enough in the bank until my next pay check.)

• Like 1

Just now, Kalibak said:

Question regarding booking the hotel and classes:

Do you have to pay the full amount for each up front (at time of booking) or do they just take a percentage or something until a later date? If so, how much? 

Thanks. 

(On the slim chance I am online if/when they reopen some rooms and classes, I’m concerned I won’t have enough in the bank until my next pay check.)

Hotel is just like any other hotel reservation. They'll take your credit card number, but you don't pay right away and you can cancel up until some time (sorry, don't know how much time) before the reservation starts.

Classes are purchased at the time of class registration (always assuming there isn't some significant change from previous years).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to let y'all know we are still working with Embassy Suites on acquiring more rooms as well as other area hotels. Don't give up on ReaperCon so fast...we aren't giving up on y'all...our wonderful fans! It just may take a bit to work things out. We are only a week into this thing. :poke:

Also, we do read y'alls comments and concerns and many of them end up on my huge whiteboard in my office for more discussion.

So keep Positive Vibes going! :winkthumbs:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

16 minutes ago, ReaperAHawk said:

Just wanted to let y'all know we are still working with Embassy Suites on acquiring more rooms as well as other area hotels. Don't give up on ReaperCon so fast...we aren't giving up on y'all...our wonderful fans! It just may take a bit to work things out. We are only a week into this thing. :poke:

Also, we do read y'alls comments and concerns and many of them end up on my huge whiteboard in my office for more discussion.

So keep Positive Vibes going! :winkthumbs:

You all do an excellent job with everything and regularly exceed expectations.  Sending positive vibes and a heartfelt thank you for all the effort.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, Pegazus said:

A home game? Oof. Still, may be a more affable crew than a wedding party. Depending on game outcome, I suppose. 

We had a really great conversation with the parents of a UNT band member.  They all seemed a lot more friendly than some of the brides who wondered why these 1500 people were hogging all the areas of the hotel..

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:
On 1/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Pegazus said:

A home game? Oof. Still, may be a more affable crew than a wedding party. Depending on game outcome, I suppose. 

We had a really great conversation with the parents of a UNT band member.  They all seemed a lot more friendly than some of the brides who wondered why these 1500 people were hogging all the areas of the hotel..

... Y'know, I was wondering what the heck was going on that year. Didn't find out until later that there was a wedding going on. 

Kids were cute, though.

• Like 6

Another change from the previous years was the gaming.  I was talking to a bunch of the Adventure League DMs and players and with the recent increase of popularity of DnD, a there was a large subsection of people that were there primarily for the roleplaying games.  I know a bunch of them were driving in for a day or two, and said that they would want to get a hotel room this year.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

... Y'know, I was wondering what the heck was going on that year. Didn't find out until later that there was a wedding going on. 

Kids were cute, though.

i just remember the guy in a top hat

• Like 1

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some more blocks of rooms to get released.

In the meantime, a suggestion for Reaper:

If Reapercon continues to grow, it might be a good idea to switch venues to somewhere with a lot of hotels nearby, like within (safe) walking distance. I don't mind having to walk a few blocks or whatever to get to where the event is, but I was never very good at Frogger as a kid, and I don't want to try it for real by needing to cross any highways or super busy roads as an adult.

As I said, I don't mind walking a bit if necessary, but I don't want to have to rely on shuttles or the kindness of others to cart my fuzzy butt around.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i just remember the guy in a top hat

If he had a monocle, it was probably just cosplay.

• Like 1