Sign in to follow this  
ReaperAHawk

ReaperCon 2020 Hotels

10 minutes ago, Clearman said:

If he had a monocle, it was probably just cosplay.

nope he was a wedding guest =P he was the talk of the elevator i was in after he got off

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Hotel is just like any other hotel reservation. They'll take your credit card number, but you don't pay right away and you can cancel up until some time (sorry, don't know how much time) before the reservation starts.

Depends on the registration. Some options are pay now when you book or at the hotel. Cancellation is also dependent on what option. You'll get a cheaper rate if you "Pay Now" but alas, I didn't have a grand + in my pocket when I reserved as I bit the bullet this morning & place a reserve at the Embassy, as even thou the Fairfield isn't too far away, I really didn't want to shuttle back & forth.

It's funny in beginning when the hotel & the Con were separate entities I didn't mind & welcomed being away from the Con for a few hours each day. The years spent with them together has changed my mind in that regards.

• Like 2

On FB this morning, I got a hiltondotcom ad for the Embassy Suites in Denton with rooms starting at $140, hope this can help some of you out.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Corsair said:

On FB this morning, I got a hiltondotcom ad for the Embassy Suites in Denton with rooms starting at $140, hope this can help some of you out.

Unfortunately that rate is usually the 1 bed rooms. Bump it up to 2 & generally tack on a 100+. Currently gonna pay around 600 for my half....ugh.

To quote Princess Leia

Help us, Reaper, help us!

Anyone slept on the sofa beds yet?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Their regular mid-week rates are as low as $125 or $133.  Weekend rooms are $143-172 ish.  But Labor Day weekend has a rate of $191-249.   

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, Pegazus said:

On top of that, there’s a dilemma. If people keep booking rooms at the higher rate, if I were the manager, I’d be less inclined to release a block at a lower rate. Why give up a bit of profit, and make my numbers better? But if I’m a con goer, do I dare stand my ground on the hopes that said manager would rather fill rooms than risk a better payday, and will have more affordable rooms later with a new block?

I have never managed a hotel. I have no idea how that actually works. But it keeps gnawing at me. 

This is a common problem for large conventions (which RCon is fast becomming). Unfortunately, we may already be at the point where Reaper needs a full-scale convention center with multiple hotels, rather than a single-vendor venue. :unsure:

Fun fact: The attendance at Gencon is not that different from the capacity of Lucas Oil Stadium. Walking around downtown when there is both an NFL preseason game and a monster gaming convention going on is an experience. (and sitting at a restaurant is a challenge)

On 1/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, LordDave said:

That makes sense.  I feel the same about Origins and Gencon...  at 10 to 15k people, with staying 30 to 45 minutes away... those are just simply way to big for my tastes.  Other folks love it.  I am going to make it a point to come introduce myself this year.

Gencon is a lot more than 15k people. Gencon 50 was the last one I attended, and I only did that because of the "big round number". Housing and crowding for Gencon is now way past anything I am willing to deal with.

Maybe I'd return if I were rich enough not to worry about dropping $800+/night for a room in Indianapolis outside the housing block.

ReaperCon has a long way to go before it's that bad.

15 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

... Y'know, I was wondering what the heck was going on that year. Didn't find out until later that there was a wedding going on. 

Kids were cute, though.

Was this something that happened at the Embassy? If so, I missed it.

I remember there being a wedding at the HGI in 2015. I think they tolerated us OK, but ReaperCon was much smaller back then.

• Like 1

I think the wedding guests were miffed the "weirdos" were spoiling their romantic vibe. ::D: Nothing bad happened.

I remember complimenting lots of folks on their fancy shoes, though! Shoes are the best.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone slept on the sofa beds yet?

I slept on their regular room sofa for one night,  it was doable.  If I had 4 nights on it, I would worry about my back.  but heck I threw out my back lifting a vacuum last year.. so 

I know this is not the most helpful.   

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

As I said, I don't mind walking a bit if necessary, but I don't want to have to rely on shuttles or the kindness of others to cart my fuzzy butt around.

To clarify, there are plenty of kind people around who don't mind giving a ride; I just start to feel like I'm being a burden if I need to bum a ride every single day.

• Like 1

i will probably need to find a way to get lunch / dinner on thursday and friday when i'm at the hotel alone, hubby won't be there those two days, sio i shall have to try and find people with vehicles that are going out for food on those days. hotel restaurant is good, but not for four meals

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i will probably need to find a way to get lunch / dinner on thursday and friday when i'm at the hotel alone, hubby won't be there those two days, sio i shall have to try and find people with vehicles that are going out for food on those days. hotel restaurant is good, but not for four meals

This conversation is making me hungry for Whataburger!!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I will have a car, so if folks need a ride I can probably help out.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I hear talk that there will be food trucks; lunch might not be too tricky, as a result. 

I'm thinking to test those this year; what I saw last year looked pretty tasty.

• Like 1