Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Another 3D print that I’m working on, this time a big one. I’ve shied away from buying/printing dragons for the most part as I have a ton of amazing Reaper ones still to paint (or finish... ) but this one was a freebie of sorts from one of the creators I follow on Patreon.
In keeping with my clear resin tricks, I whipped up the base really quickly and then stalled on how I was going to paint the actual dragon... oops!
I masked off the crystals and plugged the holes for the feet and primed it with a mix of brown and grey Vallejo primers, drybrushed it with a tan followed by a tan mixed with white and then it got a series of Vallejo model washes (green, grey and dark brown). I then peeled off the mask and gave the crystals a quick coat with Tamiya Clear Green.
For the actual dragon, the plan now is to paint the heavier scales like the base with the softer belly and flesh being brown.
Like my recent plague doctor bust, I masked his eyes so they will be the same green as the crystals on his base. I toyed with putting a light in his head as well, but seems to be doing that to everything all of a sudden, and skipped it.
in case you’re wondering about the pink, that’s what mixing the Vallejo red and grey primers did. The base was that colour before the drybrush and washes.
Hoping to get some more work on the brown and get the drybrush done on his scales this weekend. That’s going to be a lot of drybrushing!!
Thanks for looking.
So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat. It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles. I need a fully functioning 3D boat! Well, maybe not fully functioning. But I want to build a cool boat!
I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now. It's my White Whale project. Always just on the horizon. It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase. One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.
I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies. I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships. So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks. And the result wasn't bad. Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.
It actually turned out rather nice! To my surprise. But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.
The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.
and the figurehead was designed to be modular.
However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches. I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did. And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.
Here's the little devil himself.
Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in. Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting. I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site. The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled.
There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.
My hold up now is still those darn masts. The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts. The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts. I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition. And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails. Any thoughts?
Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome! I'll post back here with any updates.
By Kyra Taryn
Finished both of these awhile ago, but finally had time to take pictures now that I'm on "vacation" during quarantine.
My first conversion is for my Fallen Aasimar's necrotic shroud. I used Terezinya, Bonepander Wizard (77173) and the wings from the Bone Devil (77325). This was also my first time painting the Bones line. All my previous minis were metal and I have to say I learned my lesson. While the plastic made the conversion much easier, I just don't like the way my acrylic paints sit on it compared to the metal. Also the lower detail is disappointing. But what do I expect for a fraction of the price though, amirite? (I shared my original aasimar mini in a previous thread.)
I also completed my first green stuff sculpt from scratch. This is my aasimar's spiritual weapon: a scythe crowned with a raven skull. The magic effects are made with hot glue, which I learned from The Crafting Muse and EonsOfBattle. I thought it was a super cool trick, and I even managed not to burn myself. I'm really happy with it overall for a first attempt.
Feedback is welcome!
my second miniature! I finished this about a month ago, but my matte finish finally came in so it is truly complete on the painting front. I'll be making a base once I get into my new house, so once I get started on that I'll add more pictures.
This is my first try at using Milliput to sculpt. One of my players has a Druid with a turtle shell shield so I made the flat metal looking shield of Tolan into a turtle shell. I may wash or glaze over the shield to tone down the contrast. Not sure what color to use though.
Who's Online 28 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)