25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Can't wait to see how you tackle this challenge. 

I also can't help but wonder if the voluminous amounts of fabric on her dress are going to hinder making it clear she's an adult halfling woman.  Seems to me that it would be easier if she was wearing less - but of course, that wouldn't match Izzy's concept art.  

Yeah, that is certainly part of the difficulty on this one. As you can see in the art there's two sketches. The rougher one has less clothing and I've gotten permission to pick and choose what of which designs to incorporate as I think will work.

I will be using the corset design from the rougher sketch to enhance the chest area. The other design is more formal and fitting with the era she's drawing inspiration from but it will quickly flatten out the chest and make it difficult (at scale) to sell the idea of the character. 

Keeping the skirt masses near the hips in the silhouette will also help to trick our brains into thinking her hips are wider and therefore understand her more as a grown woman. 

Great catch!

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 6
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, Day 2 update: This went through A LOT of iteration. The main issues that weren't working were that we wanted the bent leg to feel like it was out and raised like she was showing off the leg

Sorry I didn't get around to posting the final render of this last lady of the evening.   I wanted to talk a little bit about why this last figure took so long and demystify the work

Hey guys! Okay, so I wrapped up this Orc Doxie today. When all the big construction decisions and head are already finalized the only thing left to do is render. This is a time consuming process but a

Posted Images

Okay, Day2 on the Halfling Doxie

We did some initial problem identification and solving yesterday, created the ZSphere rig, posed it and added some basic anatomy. 

Today we're gonna start with creating and adding the head. This is going to be a crucial component to making the character read as mature and non human. Dwarves tend to have bulbous/oversized noses and a prominent brow ridge so we should avoid exaggerating too much in that direction. Gnomes are very pointy and triangular in their shape language. So we don't want to make the head too exaggerated in that direction. So what defines a halfling face? well...they don't seem to have very consistent representation in media (from my limited research) which can be good, more freedom to define it myself and have fun with the exaggeration, but can be bad in that the average consumer won't have the same frame of reference to identify her. Here's some artwork that I found just browsing around that I liked for a direction so let's discuss what I like about them and what I'm wanting to incorporate...

0d227c68204ff62712ad74fa94473c0f.jpg.cceaad5877d3f956780eb61688185c1d.jpg She feels mature but not quite human.

Her face is wider and shorter than an average human head so we can use that to communicate "not human". The rounder forms both fit well with the lore about Halfling culture (merry people with a focus on family, home/hearth, and a good time) as well as definitively make her "not gnome". The petite nose and more shallow brow ridge make her distinctly "not dwarf". So, we're off to a good start here.

4db2c5a98f71aabed0686631afc783a8.thumb.jpg.e88647ae3d068c8766e361efbc9a65f3.jpg

Here we still have the rounder forms (not gnome) and petite nose and brow (not dwarf) but the head is relatively normal human proportions which makes her seem like either a really short human or a younger human (teenager more than small child in this case because the cheeks aren't overly fatty and therefore childlike).

4a422e4173d3707bee8d10d6efc6aa28.thumb.jpg.fcd82b2021eb87aca488476479c8c678.jpg

Okay, He feels distinctly halfling to me. Why? Short/squat head shape, wide smile, not too round, small nose and brow ridge, and wider set eyes. Okay, so I think we've got a good direction. The face in the original art seemed too human to me. Now that we've done this analysis we can probably identify why...

644699219_BrinewindDoxies_1of2.thumb.jpg.6285a8473702f2ed49ec7a09f289bdca.jpg

Primarily the head is a very normally proportioned human head. It is longer than it is wide, the eyes are not particularly wide set, the brow ridge seems normal. The nose is petite but that's not really enough to go on, and the mouth is a standard human proportion. We can still use this as a basis for our face design (we want it to feel like the art) but let's incorporate some of the exaggerations we've discovered and see if we can come up with something that feels distinctly like a halfling!

1307593753_HeadWIP1.JPG.93838b094e7e678f488cdc235110d7f0.JPG

Okay, so we've got all the basic elements. Wider head shape, wide set eyes, small petite nose, a non prominent brow ridge and a rounder face. This still isn't working though, this still reads as childish to me. Why? Well, let's find some real life reference of adults to see what we can change. Here's Christina Ricci:

grid-cell-19721-1433508687-0.jpg.38ded2101c01cbfb549e776dbe0ee4e4.jpgrex-Christina-Ricci.thumb.jpg.2173e24d12364910a18c95eb9b2eca42.jpg

She is obviously human but because she has such a prominent forehead her features are squished down to the bottom of her face so when you obscure her forehead (with bangs or ...ya know...eliminating it haha) she has that same wide shape we're looking for but is still clearly an adult. Small petite nose, wide smile, wide set eyes. I see a big difference in the cheek shape between my first iteration and her face so let's incorporate some of her cheek shape and maybe lower the brow ridge and see what we get...

581819694_FaceWIP2.JPG.3f35881457bc15cb63f99b1e0e62ff8e.JPG

Much better! The apples of the cheeks moved more directly beneath the eyes, the back of the jaw became more prominent, the nose bridge is thinner but the end is wider, and the smile is more directly horizontal. This is working I think so I'm gonna finish detailing and attach it to the body.

452992513_HalfingDoxieWIP3.JPG.5e03010a5e91e071b5fb621eeb93f56e.JPG There we go! Run it by the art director, got the approval so now we'll move on to rendering!

• Like 21

Consider raising her eyebrow as if she's asking an unspoken question.  First, it fits the character and second it is not a gesture you see in children much since they really don't master the fine control of the facial muscles to raise only one eyebrow until they are at least teens.

• Like 12
34 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Consider raising her eyebrow as if she's asking an unspoken question.  First, it fits the character and second it is not a gesture you see in children much since they really don't master the fine control of the facial muscles to raise only one eyebrow until they are at least teens.

So that's why ten year old me could never do the Spock eyebrow raise I tried so hard to emulate for my Halloween costume that year. 

Another reason to like these threads - the interesting tidbits you learn. 

I concur that it would fit the character. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

So that's why ten year old me could never do the Spock eyebrow raise I tried so hard to emulate for my Halloween costume that year. 

https://onedio.co/content/11-rare-talents-you-probably-dont-have-12286

I seem to be able to raise my ring fingers independently (one of the things on their list).

I've found my superpower!!!

::D:

• Haha 4
20 hours ago, kristof65 said:

18 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I seem to be able to raise my ring fingers independently (one of the things on their list).

Right, I'm probably a mutant, I was able to do the Spock eyebrow raise when I was like 7 ( resulting in me being spock a lot during recess Star Trek play) and I can also move my ring fingers indepently.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Right, I'm probably a mutant, I was able to do the Spock eyebrow raise when I was like 7 ( resulting in me being spock a lot during recess Star Trek play) and I can also move my ring fingers indepently.

I could do it when young too, although just the right eyebrow.  Funny thing though?  Occasionally I'll subconsciously lift JUST my left eyebrow, but if I think about it it drops right back down to where it's supposed to be.  Hubby gets a kick out of that...

• Haha 3
On 1/14/2020 at 9:18 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

I can wiggle my ears, something I’ve been told that males are more likely than females. I learned this when I was 4 from Mr Rogers of all things 

I can roll my tongue
I can sneeze w my eyes open (won a bet w my son a year ago

• Like 3
  • Haha 1