Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Assembled my crew and prepped and primed them.
Two clopsen troopers, a lizardman recruit, sniper and another recruit/ chisler.
A gnoll commando, medic and recruit, and a cultist recruit/hacker and trooper.
Edit: It is a bit funny that My crew isn't using much of the actual Stargrave miniatures other than a few arms and guns, but then this is just the first crew, and I'll need some ruffians and pirates as well.
This is a bunch of minis in one. I was looking at my pygmy mammoth mini a couple of months ago and I just felt the need to dangle something from its tusks. I found some little bottles I had bought years ago from a Michaels or Joann and the rest of the ideas followed smoothly. I chopped some phosphorescent plastic from a little dino model you find in Fred Meyer and put those in the bottles and they do glow in the dark. I wasn't able to take a good photo of that, alas. I first saw the idea of a large pack animal with lanterns on it, traveling into an uncertain world, years ago when I saw this art: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/7638820 and fell in love with it.
List of materials
- Pygmy mammoth https://www.reapermini.com/search/mammoth/latest/44111
- Shadoweyes Catfolk rogue https://www.reapermini.com/search/cat rogue/latest/44118
- Adventuring accessories https://www.reapermini.com/search/02638
- Adventuring accessories II https://www.reapermini.com/search/02963
- green stuff (I used the silicone sculpting brushes and vaseline to get this level of detail)
- little bottles from Michaels or Joann
- phosphorescent plastic (I used the plastic support for the dino pieces from JARU, Inc. Dino World Glow Fossils - no dino pieces were harmed in the making of this mini)
Here are more close up photos.
And here is the making process.
He even has a uvula :)
I chopped off the platform and the swords from the rogue cat. And then I cut off its legs and tail so i could reposition them on top of the mammoth.
And then I summoned the green stuff.
It was really hard to detach the sacks from their metal anchor. I was basically chewing away at the metal with my pliers. But eventually they came off.
Priming this was challenging.
I sealed the base with a heavy layer of gloss sealer later on.
Invoking more green stuff, this time for the cape, blanket edges and the harnesses.
I used the cap on one of my new brushes to support the rolled up corner of the cape overnight otherwise it would have fallen flat. I smeared it with vaseline so it wouldn't stick and become a problem once the green stuff dried.
Sculpted the edges of the blanket because just painting the dangly threads on the mammoth looked flat and most unsatisfactory.
I think I'll name her Shen. And have her wreck havoc for my players in my D&D campaigns.
I don't have photos for the harnesses because after staring at this mini for so long I got dizzy and had to lie down. And then I forgot to take pics and I finished the piece. The harnesses are just twisted long strips of green stuff. I measured the distance from the tusk to the hand and then made them and let them dry before attaching them.
Hope you enjoyed this build :)
Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.
The last year I did a bunch of dragons from all eras a d makes. This year I think I will make the challenge a little more specific. This year I'll try for 12 dragons from defunct companies: grenadier, Ral Partha, Thunderbolt Mountain, heritage, and others that are no longer producing today. Whether i include minis from companies that died recently, im not sure (and I know Ral Partha lives on as Iron Wind and Grenadier lives on as Merltion? But I'm including them because its my challenge and the ones I have are the originals.
That said the first piece I did was the Bridge of Sorrows. It came out really well so I let my better half look through my old boxed sets and she chose the next one: Clutch of Fear!
This is another mini that I have had sitting in its box waiting for decades to be completed and its time has come (besides if I really mess up they have started recasting the molds again so its not an utter disaster. Also, since i have this one in the original box, I thought i would do a WIP to show how it goes.
Here is what it look like when I opened the box...
All the parts are there, including the instructions (more on those in the future) and an "inspected by 3" as well as assembly instructions.
Hope you all enjoy the ride. I'll try to be diligent with updates.
So anyone who follows my planned goals for hobbying/painting in the Speed Painting subforum knows that I don't fair very well when it comes to monthly goals; I barely got one month's goal done last year. So this year I've decided to give myself a bit of leeway: an entire year to try to complete five hobby goals from 25 possibilities. The idea was inspired from Rob Hawkins' blog, that I've sporadically read for a few years.
I've tried to tailor my card to areas in which I typically struggle yet still retain some fun, as well as to make sure that no path to victory is entirely easy for me. Given that I finished no models last year, this should still prove quite a challenge for me.
A couple squares are time sensitive goals. To provide myself with a bit more incentive, I've decided to incorporate some health goals into the mix should I fail to achieve them. For example, if I'm attempting the assembly of 10 model in under a week, however many models I fall short by equals a number of physical exercises. I'm looking forward to it (both the exercise and getting through some of my stash).
I'll do my best to post here so you all can keep me honest. Don't be afraid to ask me about my progress!
Who's Online 23 Members, 2 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)