Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow Sculptor

Making of - Brinewind Doxies

14 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

RE: Pistols.   I know that pistols are associated with pirates, and thus the Brinewind expansion, but I personally feel that a pistol will lessen her usefulness and market appeal. 

And TBH, I don't feel her leg needs more oomph.  It looks like a good place to practice smooth skin tones and sheer fabric techniques. 

I think you're right, the pistol idea was a stretch from the beginning. Good to not limit your options but I didn't feel there was a high likelihood that it would work out. 
The sheer fabric avenue was something that Ron wanted to play around with. I tried some pirate style boots which I think gave some nice visual weight for compositional balance but he wanted to try stockings for just that painting opportunity. We tried that as well but didn't feel it held up on it's own. 

915796388_WIP2.JPG.09fee297c3ffc4a147861add14cf387b.JPG945132075_WIP3.JPG.cd78b7daee1ce8f1cfceeda679483085.JPGStockings.JPG.496b13bebe174000041b9cfa52609d4f.JPG

Still doing some exploration, so we'll see what we end up with. I do think the hair still needs something and some sort of small stiletto dagger or hair pin might make a good solution so I'll play around with that today as well. Thank you all for your suggestions, feedback, and discussion. I really enjoy it!

I thought it would be fun to hide a little easter egg in this figure. 
I'm sure most of you know Jon Overton, metal slinger and social media guru for Reaper. He has been learning ZBrush and finished his first project recently, a pirate dabloon style coin with the Reaper logo on it. It came out really great and It's been fun to watch him learn and grow throughout the process. SO, I thought it would be super fun to give this little lady a pirate dabloon necklace with Jon's coin it. He loved the idea too so yay!

I'll make another update post later today!

• Like 18

The necklace is a nice touch. 

The boots look good, but I still prefer the bare leg.   Perhaps the boots could be saved for a clothed version of her ready to go adventuring? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Perhaps the boots could be saved for a clothed version of her ready to go adventuring? 

Maybe the boots could be hung over the nearest bedpost by the boot laces? (But Not exactly piratey Man-Style-Boots. I kinda picture her wearing “boots, high, soft-leather (laced)” 16gp.)

Similarly, could a pistol be a separate piece on an equipment sprue?

Stillettos:

Now with back story(!)  She has two. They have names: Half-Moon and Full-Moon. Elven craftsman-ship, the hilts match, except for the pommels. They are named after their pommels: one is a full circle the other is a half-circle. Originally, the blades were identical lengths but after “the Tiefling incident” one of them is now shorter. It has been repointed after some of the tip snapped off, and it now doubles as her hair-Pin. 

The shorter one is usually her hair pin, the longer one is typically carried in a boot sheath when she goes out. 

• Like 5

On 2/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, kristof65 said:

Perhaps the boots could be saved for a clothed version of her ready to go adventuring? 

Now that I've said this and have thought about it overnight, this needs to happen, @Reaper Ron

Not as a Bones 5 inclusion, either - a metal version of her as an adventurer would be a good addition to the DHL line. 

I like @TGP's backstory idea, too. 

• Like 5

I tried to find a photo reference for a garter that was springy metal instead of stretchy laceyness. **No luck at all. Maybe that is entirely a fantasy notion. I did stumble onto this:

6B0B14FF-F571-478E-A0E3-F7FAE7B43D8A.jpeg.bfc1c233dcba788a1a50ea808818c005.jpeg

I thought it was more pirate-like and it is easy to picture something like that with a holster or a dagger sheath. The fine chain could/should  be ditched, ...too hard to paint, ...too small of a feature. . Also, that lion could be replaced by another example of Jon’s coin

**with the caveat of sticking with family friendly images. 

• Like 3

1689356396_WIP4.JPG.b80b08f16a6427c183a1faaf4e1a4dab.JPG

On 2/26/2020 at 4:24 AM, TGP said:

Stillettos:

Now with back story(!)  She has two. They have names: Half-Moon and Full-Moon. Elven craftsman-ship, the hilts match, except for the pommels. They are named after their pommels: one is a full circle the other is a half-circle. Originally, the blades were identical lengths but after “the Tiefling incident” one of them is now shorter. It has been repointed after some of the tip snapped off, and it now doubles as her hair-Pin. 

The shorter one is usually her hair pin, the longer one is typically carried in a boot sheath when she goes out. 

Really loved this back story so I gave her shorter stockings to maintain the sheer painting opportunity but added the twin daggers.

Pending art director approval there's just some polish work left to do to get this one all finished up!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

1820586738_AsianDoxieRender.jpg.5d80176343448148e3ec488e55e725bd.jpg

All finished up! Thanks for all the feedback and support guys, this has been a fun set to create!! 

Awesome!

• Like 2