Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
A kid who works for me plays 40K, and was showing me a color scheme he liked. I asked if I could give i a shot on one of his minis, so he gave me this one to paint up. I tried to get a decent result while doing it as fast as possible. Counting priming and sealing I think this is about 2 hours and some change. I did a zenithal prime with Stynylrez, and all colors are RMS with the exception of Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia.
My wife finally came to some decisions on the direction of her army. Which meant I could finally start buying said army. After watching for awhile I finally stumbled across some auctions that were right up her alley. I even managed to win a few and now I can finally "build" her army (as a lot came from the auction site this is mostly just painting them but some will need assembly).
As the title suggests I'd like to complete this project in a year or less. As my army took about a year to "finish" I'd be remiss if I didn't try to finish her's in a similar time frame. That and I know I'd never hear the end of it from my gaming friends if her army took longer, my wife on the other hand probably wouldn't care. As of this post she has most of her army and can start playing and learning the larger game and that's all she really cares about.
To start the project I went through all the figures and selected a few to paint first. Basically I went through everything and selected all the unique models i.e. the ones with odd bits, poses, or modifications. I even grabbed a few vintage models for this starting lineup. With everything primed during an unexpected winter reprieve it's time to begin.
I started off with just a single model deciding it would get a little special attention. Unfortunately I put way too much yellow on my palette so I spent most of my time adding the yellow basecoat to everything else.
Once that was finished I came back to that first model and finished off its "special" detail.
I think it gives it a nice little extra something, but maybe I'm wrong.
So let's see if a year is enough time to finish a Waaagh.
Back in the "olden days" when I played 40k second edition, our game group played a lot of multi player games, and as a result, we sort of had a meta-game RPG going on with our Space Marine Chapters. Thanks to the things that happened during the games, our chapters had allies and alliances and rivalries and foes.
Sometimes, to resolve disputes, we would hold a council meeting of the Chapters so grievances could be aired, agreements come to and consequences doled out. In these council meetings, each chapter got a vote.
But a problem emerged - some players had multiple chapters of their own design, and multiple players were playing official GW chapters, which meant that some people had multiple votes, while others had to share. The solution we came up with was that for council votes, a chapter could be represented by a single fully painted miniature.
And so most of us painted up three or four minis as our vote "tokens". And here are mine from the 90s:
The guy on the left is one of my Marines Errant, which was my primary Chapter. The black and yellow guy is one of my Blast Hornets, a chapter that was declared renegade as the result of one of these council meetings. The two on the left are my voting minis, from the Fire Angels and Fire Hawks chapters.
Just before I moved away, we had a big council meeting coming up, and I hatched a dastardly plan. I bought two boxes of the cheapest Space Marines I could, and planned to paint up twenty more chapters, thus ensuring I could rule final vote. This was also going to be my parting gift - I was going to give each of the other players two of the minis.
Well, I didn't manage to do more than get those minis primed. I recently found that box of primed Space Marines, and decided to see how well I could paint one of my Marines Errant 20+ years later, using Reaper's MSPs.
And then I decided I wanted to finally finish the project
Here are the first six. On the left is a Marines Errant, and on the right is a Salamander - the other four I just painted up and threw decals on. I'll have to come up with chapter names for them later.
In lieu of a regular housewarming party my wife and I have opted to host a game day at our new house. After gathering supplies, prepping some food, and setting up some tables we're ready for our Housewarhammering.
As luck would have it I'm flush with terrain (couldn't sell a single piece at a local craft fair), so I set up a couple of simple tables. Though they're sparse looking I doubt they'll stay that way, my buddies really get into setting up tables. After their tinkering I'm sure the tables with look better and most of my "extra" pieces will get used.
Now it's just a matter of waiting for everyone to arrive. Guess I could play some PC Battlefleet Gothic Armada while waiting.
Orks are terrific, aren’t they? While the aesthetics and logic behind most 40k factions tries to toe the line between Full Blanche and minimally plausible weapons of war, the Space Orks just embrace the most absurd logic (a red paint job actually makes it go faster).
This conversion was created by my client- and I really love it. Orks looting vehicles from Imperial factions is always great, but there’s something especially amazing about looting the claw of a titan and turning it into a tank.
For the paint job, the titan claw is meant to look like the Orks painted over the original Titan’s color scheme. To this end, some of the scratches in the red show blue and imperial insignias and patterns underneath.
Who's Online 23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)